Topic

Collapsible 20-25l daypack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Collapsible 20-25l daypack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    andrew a

@drew2

Hi,

I have to imagine that this has been covered before but I didn't find it when searching.

I am looking for a lightweight, collapsible, yet still durable 25l daypack. This is more for traveling than hiking but would get use for both. It will be stuffed in a larger pack when not in use, so compressibility is important.

I do not want something that is super fragile but low on features is fine. In addition…it should look decent, as it will be getting a lot of city use. Maybe more of a traditional backpack design rather than a stuff sac with straps? Not firm on this at all though.
    Also i would prefer a zipper closure or a hood to just a drawstring (like the flash 18)

I thought i had found the perfect match w/ the golite ion but i see that it is discontinued.

What are the options??
    REI Flash 18
    REI Zip Travel Daypack
    Marmot Kompressor
    Hammock Bliss Daypack
    mont-bell versalite 20

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I don't particularly like the newer ones and think they're a bit pricey for what they are but 1st generation Scrambler packs from Mountain Hardware can be had for a steal right now. I picked one up for about $35 a few weeks ago for the same purpose and my initial impressions are positive but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it other than play with it around the house. The weight generally listed (around 11 oz.)is for the pack with the back pad removed.

I'd also look into zpacks if I were you.

andrew a

@drew2

Did you purchase the scrambler online?

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Cilio Gear 20 Liter WorkSack

http://www.cilogear.com/20lws.html

cheers,
    fred

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The Marmot Kompressor is certainly collapsible, but hardly durable and just 17.2 L. It is what it is, which I think probably isn't what you're looking for. The Ion would be a good choice. I'm not familiar with the others that have been mentioned.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Montbell Versalite 20 cinches up with a drawcord. But Montbell has 2 other models that are even ligther — and they close with a zipper. Check out their website.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think this is just what you are looking for:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/patagonia-lightweight-travel-pack-backpack?p=48816-0-803

Manufacturer's info:

In the lifelong search for a place to call home, we all do time on the road. This super-lightweight travel backpack holds everything you need for road trips, hikes or perusing the market, and it stuffs into its own pocket. The main compartment uses a simple drawstring closure to keep gear safe and packed tight. There's also a zippered lid pocket for quick access to smaller items. Exterior mesh pockets hold bottles, shell, gloves, etc. Breathable shoulder straps and a webbing waistbelt distribute the load and keep you comfortable. The lightweight foam back pad can be removed for use as a sitting pad. Made from strong, extremely lightweight 50-denier triple-ripstop nylon with a polyurethane coating and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Reinforced with 150-denier polyester (47% recycled) double-weave ShiftLayer.
    Details

* Main pocket with cinch drawcord to keep gear safe and secured
    * Lid pocket organizes your smaller items for easy access
    * Exterior mesh pockets hold bottles, shell, etc
    * Breathable shoulder straps and webbing waistbelt
    * Back pad can be removed for use as a sit pad
    * 50-denier 100% nylon triple ripstop with polyurethane coating and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. Reinforcements: 150-denier 100% polyester (47% recycled) double-weave ShiftLayer
    * 365 g (12.9 oz)

Sieto van der Heide

@sieto

Locale: The Netherlands

Maybe this is an option: the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

Its a mix between a stuffbag and a backpack. When not used as daypack its usable as stuffbag in another bag. Empty it compresses down do almost nothing.

For a 20L bag only 70 grams/ 2.5 oz.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Marmot Kompressor Plus. A little larger and beefier than the regular Kompressor.

Omri Ben Ari

@omri79

hi

the new Marmot Ultra Kompressor is:
    Marmot Ultra Kompressor

Weight: 1 lbs 7 oz / 652 g
    Volume: 1250 cu in / 20 liters
    Main Material: 210d Nylon Double Ripstop
    Material: 70d 100% Nylon Double Ripstop
    Material: Stretch Mesh 100% Polyester

i think i will bay this bag in the near future its heavier than the Kompressor Plus but its depends on how weight fanatic are you and how offend you will use it as a backpack instead of compression sack with straps…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU6Cu8ky70M&feature=player_embedded

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I like the Pagagonia travel pack — prettier than the REI one — but man, three times more expensive! Sigh…

andrew a

@drew2

That's always how it is. I really like patagonia gear but the prices are just incredible. I have yet to find a good outlet or discount site for their stuff.

Justin Carter
    BPL Member

@orangebananas

Locale: San Francisco East Bay

I'm a big fan of the REI Flash 18

Omri Ben Ari

@omri79

nice pack but not compressible – regular Marmot Kompressor is and sale for 40$
    and they are at the same Weight: 10 oz / 283 g
    the compressibility is very important when using it as a laundry bag or for clean clothes – save space in the main backpack.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Yes, I bought it online with a coupon of some sort.

http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimited.com/product_detail.cfm?Product=Mountain-Hardwear-Mountain-Hardwear-SCRAMBLER-pack&Category=Packs-Day-Packs/Rucksacks&CatID=42&PID=3321

There's one on gear trade too.
    http://www.geartrade.com/browse/106/92/129/item/142279

I think my favorite feature is the lid. The top pocket is a pretty good size and the zipper is by your neck so it may be a little harder for thieves to get into. The flat pocket underneath the lid is perfect for ID or water purification tablets.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

The North Face make a Flyweight Pack and Rucksack. 19 or 32 litres. 310 or 340 grams. RRP $49 or $59

This is the Rucksack

TNF Flyweight

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

I have this pack in new condition. I would sell it shipped for 40.00. PM or [email protected]

Thanks Jim

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

The Nemo Ditto Backpack looks interesting as well.

riga marol

@rigamarol

i have the hammock bliss day pack. I picked it over the flash18 because I saw it on sale for significantly less, it was lighter, i prefer the mes pockets for water bottls, and it folds into its own pocket. I turn it inside out and use it as a sleepingbag stuff sack. that way it is always empty when my camp is set up for day excursions.

my only complaint is the color choices… as in their aint any.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

It's not cheap, and is a roll-top (why zipper) but it looks good. In one of the photos on the site, it shows how you can compress it w/the bungee cords into something somewhat palm sized. The functionality of the pack is awesome w/the big mesh back pocket.

Photobucket

It carries really well, either stuffed to the gills and heavy or with very little in it. I had 2 liters of water in a platy, an 11oz rain jacket, camera and a bit of food in this picture. It also carried all my gear (Double Rainbow, quilt etc) for a 3 day trip in the main body the day before. I travel often as well, the compressibility was one reason I bought it. I'm about 5'7".

Photobucket

As another mentioned, Zpacks would be good too. Again not cheap but Joe is a pretty nice guy. And the cuben would likely compress down even more and be lighter.

Dyneema-X is pretty durable. The Burn is a wicked pack if you can wait the 5 weeks. Sorry for the big pics, couldn't figure out how to downsize. And yes.. bears scare me.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

This has not seen the sequential upgrades that the REI Flash has been through, but it is still awesome. 2 bottle pockets, floating lid with pocket, 1200 cuin, $30.

http://www.rei.com/product/754685

Fits much better than the LLBean variety.

REI Zip Travel

Brian Cripe

@brian-cripe

Locale: Midwest

I know you said you weren't crazy about the pull opening of the Flash 18, but it does seal up pretty darn well (I've been rained on with it, and my pack contents have stayed dry). With mine, I cut off the extraneous bits and added shock cord to the outside so that I can compress the bag on my back/store items on the outside, and my bag is at 235g/8.3oz. You could shave the weight a bit lower also if you took out the hydration pouch. I do like the option of a hydration bladder for summit pushes.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Looks like a great pack for short trips generally.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I got one of these for the wife, but I end up stealing it from her often :) It's a well designed, simple bag, very light, strong, compressible, that functions well.

Chico Bag RePETe Daypack 20

Ben P

@benp1

Locale: London

Lighter than all of these packs and very comfy

It doesn't have a proper way of compressing but that's nothing a rubber band can't fix! As there's no padding in the sack etc it packs up great, though the shoulder straps have minimalist padding to help with comfort.

EDIT – Whoops! Didn't see you'd already looked at it. Its available here in the UK, check out backpackinglight.co.uk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools