Topic

WM Flash vest sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals WM Flash vest sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Eugene, you were trying to stir something up, don't take the high ground and act like your weren't now. Saying things like "its just a freaking jacket," Rubbed me the wrong way, and maybe some others. I think the air of ambivalence you are taking now is a punk-out. This is an issue that didn't concern you in the slightest made into something more. I'd also tell you to cool it on the sexist comments about not getting our panties bunched up but this thong really is killing me.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Gypped is a derogatory term that came about by shortening the word Gypsie, which originally, and perhaps generically, referred to the Romani people of India who migrated to parts of Europe centuries ago. There are now several people groups that are referred to as "Gypsies", though originally the term "gypsie" was specific to the Romani people (not to be associated with the Romanian people of Eastern Europe).

"Gypped" is quite similar to the derogatory term "to jew" or to be "jewed", a commonly known inflammatory remark referring to the Jewish people. Essentially, both phrases are unjustifiably suggesting that an individual/persons are: being swindled, robbed, cheated, slighted, etc. etc. etc.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Sean – I disagree with you at a very base level about what B & P's owes you, but I have to say you have a point about the panties!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Is Ben2world out of town or something?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I actually have been to Romania. Mostly because we were foreigners, we were warned–by native Romanians–to watch out for "the gypsies." My college professor, who was with us, was born in Transylvania (yup, its a real place). He specifically told us not to talk to them and to watch our belongings very carefully. Even there, whether right or wrong, prejudice or not, they were a class of people frowned upon by many. I never made the connection to the word.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

What can I say Sean? I'm a punk! No punkin' out on my behalf. I don't take the high or the low road and definitely don't want to project some cloud of piety, nothing pious about me. I'm rotten to the core.

There's nothing sexist or chauvinist about anyone getting their "panties in a knot", male or female, that's just plain uncomfortable. Fact. I Googled the term just to make sure. :)

Sean Walashek

@caraz

I would argue if it really is an unjustifiable accusation of shady business practices. Gypo's will steal your backpack and offer you a good price if you want to buy it back. If you trace the etymology of my last name you'll find it goes back to the Romani/Monrovian nomads, I would warn anyone be wary of any exchange with gypsies, unless you are looking for an exciting story to bring home. But alas, here, we are evolved politically correct individuals so all peoples, cultures, and creeds are unequivocally equal in all ways and have not a single negative defining characteristic.
    I'm sure many Semitic people would take offense to their business acumen being lumped in with that of gypsies. In my experience I have never found more upfront and honest, while admittedly shrewd business dealings than with Jewish people.
    In summation Bill and Paul's made a mistake, albeit an understandable and forgivable mistake. In my opinion as a company wanting to preserve their reputation they should rectify that mistake so that all those customers who had actual business dealings felt satisfied. As it stands I am not.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

All this other bickering aside, I take no offense Eugene. I think it's good to point things like this out to people; many have no idea of meanings/origins of words- in this case it's me. I teach high school and take it upon myself to constantly correct kids when I hear things like this- I'm perfectly happy to be corrected as well. I figure it's far better I hear it here than in a potentially ugly/truly embarrassing "real" world scenario.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Right on Craig, glad we're cool and level.

Dan Stanko

@dinsdale

Locale: Loozerville,USA

I'm new hear and I've learned something here too….

Some is interesting….

And some is disappointing….

Guess every type of forum has some pound of flesh folks….

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Learn something new, and PC, every day here on BPL.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

There are other "non-racist" theories on the origin of "gypped"… this is my favorite:
    A 'gippo,' later shortened to 'gyp,' was a short jacket worn by the valets of Oxford undergraduates in the 17th century. The word 'gyp' this theory holds, was eventually applied to the servants themselves, who were often cheats and thieves. (from phrases.org.uk)

Be careful who you trust when it comes to the English language!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

There have been numerous posts on this thread from members that I like, respect and feel a comradery with in relation to all things UL.

This thread only reaffirms to me that we are each different and unique which is a good thing. How boring life would be if we were all the same.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

What's a flesh folk? That's new to me.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

The noun "gyp" has the college derivation someone stated and is not related to gypsies in any way, but is derived from the greek word for "vulture." The verb "gyp" is derived from the noun gypsy, and is derogatory, meaning "to swindle." These are derivations confirmed by Merriam-Websters, not theories. In actuality, they are two completely different words with the same spelling and pronounciation.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

I thought it was a very clever or unconscious choice of words or just a funny coincidence or just one of those things. Its a reference to the character Shylock (A jewish money lender) who makes a deal for a fiscal loan in exchange for a pound of flesh should the loan not be repaid on time. From Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. I think it was a slight directed at me for being focused on the deal before the compassion of the exchange and my hard edge stance in these matters. Funny that it came right after talk of Jewish business practice's.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Lots of wiold and unverified assumptions being made here guys. THE source for these sorts of discussions is the Oxford English Dictionary, being older than all the other modern ones (like MW).

gyp 3: Cheat, swindle [19th C perhaps from gyp1]

gyp 1: College servant at Cambridge and Oxford, (cf scout) [perhaps from obsolete gippo: scullion, originally man's short tunic, from obsolete French jupeau]

There is NO mention of 'gypsy' whatsoever here.

Cheers

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Thanks James and Carol for the clarification on the noun form and verb form of the words 'gyp'! I stand completely corrected, Craig it seems your comment was technically completely acceptable. However, to be quite honest, I'm now completely confused on the true origin/version(s) of the word. For the sake of avoiding argument or offending anyone I'll just continue to not use the word in conversation. Language is fun.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"There is NO mention of 'gypsy' whatsoever here."

Even the word Gypsy is no longer politically correct. The people in question prefer to be called Roma. These people were called Gypsies because they were thought to originate from Egypt — which turned out to be untrue. India was their original homeland.

Jeff Moody

@bigtiki

"In summation Bill and Paul's made a mistake, albeit an understandable and forgivable mistake."

A mistake? Really? Get A grip!!

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I wonder how the Bill and Paul's folks will feel about dealing with BPLers after reading this thread? Quite the intro to the BPL community.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

but "Gypsy" refers to several different groups, not just Romani

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

What a weird thread.

James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

LOL. Weird is about right!
    Let us celebrate diversity in all its forms… happy trails, friends! :-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Moderator of BPL forums. It's not just a job, it's an adventure……

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools