Topic

WM Flash vest sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals WM Flash vest sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Jack Bauer

@mclovin

That is an interesting take, but I don't think bill and company will do that, since it's a small company unlike rei or amazon.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

While it kinda stinks if you put in an order and find out later its out of stock, there's usually a reason why stuff gets discounted, and one of the main reasons is low inventory! Not too surprising!

Plus, I can't imagine the demand for WM Flash jackets being very high all the time. They're a smaller company, and the jackets are expensive. I'd imagine stock for these jackets is lower than more common name brand items to begin with.

I think if the company reacts to this well and updates their software/website to reflect more real-time stock reports, that's a good-faith move in my book. Though they could maybe buy more from WM and sell them for a loss, thats unlikely. The attention they've already given to the issue seems pretty cool to me.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Travis, the other company was MooseJaw- much much (much) bigger!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Whoops, my bad. Deleted comment in previous post.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I may or may not end up getting the jacket at what I thought I was buying it for. I would say that a company, regardless of size, that takes care of the customer is one I would prefer to deal with 100% of the time. That is why in a matter such as this a small company is more accountable than a large one which can afford to alienate customers. I would say that it is customer service that would allow said company to grow to the size it is already. Regardless, I am very particular with how and where I spend my money, and as it stands this experience would keep me from ever considering Bill and Paul's again when there are plethora other companies who honor the price and "in stock" status they are advertising, where if I were to receive the deal and customer service I expect then I would happily consider them for every purchase if they were to carry the item in stock. Common sense to me. A mistake on a companies part should not mean disappointment on the customers end. I can't be the only one that thinks a deal is a deal, no?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

For the sake of civil discussion : )….

>That is why in a matter such as this a small company is more accountable than a large one which can afford to alienate customers.

For me, if a company is big enough to be able to afford to alienate customers, then they care about me that much less than a small company who needs every customer possible. For example: Walmart. Walmart could give a rat's A$$ about me or my measly $15 dollar sale. They count purely on the sheer number of people to make a profit. This is why I hold companies like this MUCH more accountable for mistakes. They're larger, have more resources, and have the profit margin to screw up and still make a profit.

Cottage makers/retailers on the other hand, have to do business in a much more personal and human manner. Inherently there will be mistakes–you just might notice them more because its harder for the smaller companies to simply wave their magic wand and make everything alright. They sometimes just don't have the resources and profit margin to do that.

Now, if a smaller company screws up and is belligerent, rude, and unapologetic, or they screw up many times, then I write them off quite quickly. But, even if I don't get my way, I often like to wait and see how the company reacts. If they put in a good faith effort (again, even if I'm out an item) then I like to see where they will run with it.

Customers are right to feel upset or cheated by a retailer's mistake, but with the small guys, I like to leave a bit more wiggle room. They're much more like us than the multi-million dollar CEO's running the huge conglomerates.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

My expectations are high when it comes to items in stock. If a store advertises a product for a specified price then that company should honor that price for orders placed. There were no indications that there were only 3 jackets in stock.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

They make right and keep the customers satisfied. There are other "small guys" that do a better job at retail. I will always support a local independent business and will say with pride that I have never stepped foot in a walmart. Person to person the owners and employees are great, I don't have a personal issue whatsoever. But I think you might want to separate a business from the people that run it. As a business it made a mistake and if it wants to honor a deal and make right on a promise than it should do that, I expect that. If you want to spend your money with them in the future vs. any number of other companies with better service go for it. As it stands, not me.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hell hath no fury like a BPLer gypped out of a deal…

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

I did called them up and they only have 1 WM flash jacket (women) in Plum in L. They only have one. If you fit the L and don't mind the color plum, you can still order it.

Wayne Burke
    BPL Member

@three5s

Locale: Bluegrass

Just curious. Did anyone order more than a vest just to get to the $99.00 free shipping. Did they ship the in stock items free?? I ordered both the vest & jacket but they were out of both. If you ordered vest & something else to get you to $99.00 & free shipping then they charged shipping I would be upset. When I spoke to them today Karen said they may not even carry WM in the fall & if they did they would be FULL price.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

To those complaining,

Not only did they send each of you an an explanation, but when they found out why they received such a surge they came on our forum, found the specific thread, and made a public apology to everybody involved. That's pretty good customer service in my book.

The jackets were an older model, which in my book at least implies limited quantity not to mention they were nearly half off a product that doesn't go on sale. To ask them to honor their sale price at a loss when you probably wouldn't have bought it from them full price just seems wrong to me.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I somehow feel partially responsible for the blowup over the WM Flash Jacket hoopla, I threw the embedded link up just to give a heads up in case people glazed over the thread since the original posting was specific to the WM Flash Vest. Never thought it would turn into a s#*t storm.

Immediate feeback and realtime stock availability clearly isn't something every online vendor has. For people to expect BillandPauls to actually purchase: _____ amount of WM Flash Jackets and turn around and sell them for $120 less than retail just to make a couple of BPL members who feel entitled is absurd and quite self centered.

Extending some grace wouldn't hurt in this situation for BillandPauls.com. Hopefully people won't let their own panties get too bunched up over this. It's isn't like anyone was robbed, it's just a freaking jacket, maybe next time.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

+1 Jeff and Eugene!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

> I will always support a local independent business and will say with pride that I have never stepped foot in a walmart.

I'll +1 that.

>I have never stepped foot in a walmart.

I'll +2 that!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

"Hell hath no fury like a BPLer gypped out of a deal…"

"Gypped?"…easy with the derogatory racial remarks. Perhaps the words "who missed out on" would be more appropriate in this instance.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Eugene, you might want to step back and calm down a bit. I seriously doubt he knew gypped was considered a "racial" term. Most people have no clue. Give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a pretty huge assumption. Besides, gypped has been used in slang for years and the connotation has long been lost.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I actually had no idea that word was historically tied to anything derogatory.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

as I am mine, on a personal note Jeff, I don't like being called ridiculous for having an expectation of a company, customer service, or my opinion. I forgive you but you might be more considerate next time. $120 less than retail is still more than 50% of retail (which is a typical wholesale price for vendors), what they advertised as a sale price and what they gave order confirmations to all involved for.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I had no idea about that reference…Thanks for calling me out- I don't like it when things like that enter our language.
    My apologies and I'll make a note of it.
    Thanks.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Sorry everyone. I didn't mean for this conversation to take the turns it did. I propagated the conversation merely for the sake of simple discussion and had no intention of having this lurk in the shadows of a flame war.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ Juston,

Thank you so much for the advice! Though I'm actually quite calm and not upset. It's funny to hear you tell me to "step back and calm down" as if I'm fired up like a pitbull ready to tear something apart. Heed your own words, because that my friend is a pretty huge assumption. I wasn't inferring Craig is a racist and I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Craig, I'm sorry if my remark came across that way. I was simply stating that the comment had some racial undertones that he may not be aware of. I thought I was lighthearted enough. It's all good. Let's move on.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Gypped is a deragatory racial comment?

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Very interesting…I never knew that either.

Once I read the post I made a connection to Gypsies, I guess that's what we're talking about.

Wiktionary doesn't confirm that etymology, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Again, interesting, learn something every day…..

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Gypsies. It was a demeaning word coming from the stereotypes of their culture/society. That's my 10 second understanding from Urban Dictionary. Many dictionaries don't make the connection at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools