Topic

Choosing to hike in the rain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Choosing to hike in the rain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Looks like Massachusetts is set to have rain all through this weekend.

I was planning on taking my first trip this weekend and I think I may go despite the forecast. I don't particularly care for hiking in the rain and the the expected temps will be the lowest I have faced while it is raining, but I really don't want to cancel my plans.

This thread isn't about gear, I have that covered. It is about seeing if other people like taking trips even when rain is in the forecast. Anyone out there like hiking in the rain?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm a huge fan of umbrellas- you can keep your hood off and jacket open. Psychologically, I think they make long stretches of rain easier. The umbrella is the most breathable rain wear you can find.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Do I like to hike in the rain…no, but I do hike in it. My feeling is if you wait for nice weather to hike you might never get to do a trip. I did an AT section hike last year where it rained a whopping 7 inches of rain in 48 hours. The AT might has well have been the Mississippi River.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If I plan a trip, I go. But rain in California is not as heavy as other places. I do have to be careful in deserts due to the possibilty of flash floods. But it is unlikely that I will see 7 days of non-stop rain. I like hiking in the rain.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Because bad weather makes for good photography :)

Also, since I work in a Dilbert box to pay the bills, my window of opportunity is what it is. Unless it's weather that I'm not equipped for, I try to avoid missing opportunities for outings.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Often I prefer that it rain. Alot of the possible backpackers, and most of the potential dayhikers, will forgo their plans if it's raining. That means more backcountry for me to be alone. Not to mention, I sleep easiest with the pitter-patter of raindrops on silnylon ;)

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I live in NH. I've learned to enjoy hiking in the rain.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Try living in Oregon or Washington…..you'll love it. Grows webs between your toes (the sign of a native Oregonian).

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

A few comments…

– There are fewer people out.
    – Things take on a softer look, and the views become close in while it's raining.
    – If you have the right gear and (more importantly) mindset, hiking in the rain is your opportunity to experience another side of nature…see Nature's other faces. Isn't that why you are getting out of the house?
    – It's just a weekend, so you know you'll survive. It's a chance to dial in your gear and techniques for when you are surprised by a thunderstorm.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Hiking in the rain is your opportunity to experience another side of nature…see Nature's other faces."

+1

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Rain … it's a different kind of good weather.

A wet day of hiking is still better than a dry day at work.

There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Of course the above statements have their limits … like rain intense enough to cause severe flash flooding or mud slides or hurricanes or tornadoes or white out blizzards.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"A wet day of hiking is still better than a dry day at work."

That's similar to the one I use:

The worst day in the field is better than the best day in a cubicle.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I'll second the comment on using umbrellas.

I used to hate hiking in the rain. Once I started bringing an umbrella (GoLite) it doesn't bother me nearly as much, hardly at all in fact. Unless it's pouring and windy, or if I have to crash through wet brush, I don't bother with any rain gear other than the umbrella, and generally feel warm and comfortable the entire time.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I like the rain. I work in it and hike in it. It's different if you are talking about multiple days, when you have to carry around wet gear. That I have not done. Couple of days, then you can dry your stuff at home..no problem.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

I love the group of people on these forums! :-)

Tom, I think your post really sums up my thoughts perfectly. I decided to go on this trip yesterday, saw it was going to rain, and didn't even think about not going.

I don't have many friends that backpack, whether lightly or more traditionally. Is not being concerned with a little rain something unique to the ultralighter's mindset? I could see more traditional backpackers having the mindset that it would be miserable and that going into the woods should not entail any kind of discomfort.

I dunno, but it's nice that my going hiking knowing full well it will be raining for the entire duration of the trip is not considered weird here. :-)

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Andrew I don't think it's weird at all. Weird is the mindless drudgery we subject ourselves to everyday in what we call the "real world". Like so many have so eloquently stated here, GETTING OUT THERE is perfectly normal and natural, regardless of the weather.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I don't mind hiking in the rain so much, but I do worry about trying to make camp in the rain. So far I haven't had to do that.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1

"A wet day of hiking is still better than a dry day at work."

I'm a summer hiker. The only cotton in my kit is a pair of blaze orange bandanas. I have given up on raingear. I wear nylon, polyester and merino wool. If it rains, I hike and get wet. When it stops raining, I hike and dry out. I rotate socks to keep my feet as dry as possible.

Last year on a 24 hour hike it began to rain on us 1 hour after we got on the trail around midday. It continued to rain on us for 5 more hours. We collected and treated water in the rain. We set up camp in the rain. The rain stopped and we ate supper. We dried out as we slept. We were greeted by a dry clear morning to finish our 24 hour hike. :-)

"I'd go", I went! ;-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Actually, there may be a bit of wet snow in the higher elevations of Central Mass and the Berkshires. Bring an extra fleece layer just in case your insulation gets wet while hiking.

I really prefer hiking in the dry or in snow. Like some others I've tried umbrellas a bit and liked them when the trail allows them; need to get a better one.

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Andrew, I also live in MA. Two weeks ago when we had the storm that caused all that massive flooding, I hiked 28 miles in the rain. I was going to stay overnight until the forecast changed from rain to severe flood warning. That convinced me that my next few stream crossings might become unsafe (especially with my dog) and I bailed.

That said, I had a great time and it's convinced me to never cancel a trip for simple rain (floods and t-storms are another story). I was hiking fast and the rain kept me at a comfortable temperature. I didn't wear a rain jacket, just a midweight merino wool baselayer. If you don't plan on stopping a whole lot before camp, I'd recommend you do the same. No breathability to worry about, no nylon hood rustling in your ears. Plus, if you keep your rain gear in your pack, it'll be dry when you get to camp, which you will LOVE.

Although wide views are nonexistent in "bad" weather, the woods become beautiful and almost otherworldly. Birds and wildlife are out in droves.

Bring an extra baselayer, an extra pair of socks, something small to dry off with, and keep your stuff dry. Other than that, just go. You'll be glad you did.

Edit: Walter, I think the snow is unlikely. I haven't been above 2,000 feet, but all of the snow in the places I HAVE been has been gone for a month.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Why let it stop you?
    Heading out and knowing it'll be wet is a great time to make sure you've got your system down. It helps you learn to be prepared for when dealing with the unexpected is more critical. It's practice.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Yeah, I saw that chance of snow and decided I would bring my softshell along. Hopefully I don't have to deal with snow. Thank you for the heads up though. I appreciate it.

I'm excited to see how my tarp handles the rain. This will be will be my first time trying it out in this weather. I will have my superlight eVent bivy too. I'm somewhat curious to see how this will do without any other coverage, but think I may wait till warmer weather to test it out.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Nate, The current forecast for here (N. Central Mass.) is chance of snow overnight for the next several days. I don't think we'll get a significant amount; NH and VT mountains might get 6" total. The total amount of water will be a lot less than during your trip.

The snow here is gone. Maybe there's some left on Mt. Graylock, but it shouldn't be a factor.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"Although wide views are nonexistent in "bad" weather, the woods become beautiful and almost otherworldly. Birds and wildlife are out in droves"

And as if that's not enough, there's nothing so beautiful as the sun rising on a clearing storm in the wilderness.

Well, except maybe that with an alpine lake to reflect the colors of the morning.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I enjoy hiking in cold rain quite a bit…especially if I'm well equipped and staying dry. During summers in the south, I thoroughly enjoy getting soaked while hiking in order to cool down.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools