Topic

Choosing to hike in the rain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Choosing to hike in the rain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

One of my favorite times is a warm, early morning in spring, just as the sun begins to peek through the mist from an all-night rain, and everything seems like it is glowing.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Weather happens. getting wet doesn't hurt – just have the right gear to stay warm.

Happiness is a good tent, warm dry clothing and quilt, and a good stove. Ah – hot soup is a good start!

Cheers

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

I love hiking in the Sierras in a summer rain. (Sounds like a song)

If your rain shell has pit zips you can actually extend your bare forearms out through the pit zips and have a nice water cooled hiking experience.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Hiking in the rain can be an enjoyable experience if you know how to handle the situation you will encounter. Cold wet is not warm wet weather. Getting wet is nothing so long as you stay warm as necessary.

One thing I really like about hiking in rain is the sound. Also everything smells fresh.

Sometimes it is challenging if you are trying to hike up a steep trail of mud. Or tense if bolts of lightening are crashing all around you.

It is interesting if you are hiking and a storm is approaching. The wind starts picking up. Gets cooler. Then a drop here and there. Then it opens up. Run for your life : )

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

"One thing I really like about hiking in rain is the sound. Also everything smells fresh."

Absolutely.

Walter & Andrew — Didn't realize there was snow in the forecast. Like you said, though, it's probably nothing to worry about. The temps look like they'll stay warm enough that not a whole lot will stick.

Anyway, Andrew, I hope you've been convinced that you're making the right decision here. Have a great trip!

— and by the way, my wife and I are planning to take a short mileage 3 day trip Sunday through Tuesday on the AT near Dalton, so we'll be with you in spirit. She's 5 1/2 months pregnant, and I can't believe she's game for it! Don't ask me how I got her to marry me, because I seriously have no idea.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I really enjoy hiking in the rain for all of the many reasons others have so eloquently stated. I'm actually more likely to go on a trip if there is rain in the forecast.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> She's 5 1/2 months pregnant, and I can't believe she's game for it!

Congrats!

When my wife was pregnant with both sons (four years apart) her doctors encouraged her keep doing active things if you have already been doing them. So long as it is not trying something new, she's fine.

Now a few decades later. She's a bit less active and won't intentionally hike in rain, but like you I have no idea why she wed me and stayed the course.

Have fun!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Andrew, I really enjoy hiking in the rain, and I always have. No crowds, and like Scott and George said, there's the sound and smell of the rain. My last AT trip in Mass. I woke shortly after bedding down to BIG drops hitting my tarp.Nothing puts me out like that sound. In fact, if it's raining at home I open the window to listen to the rain hitting my gutters.

Here's a pic of me on Maine's Barren Chairback Range during hurricane Ophelia:

Hurricane Ophelia

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don't like to go out if it is raining. But if I'm already out and it starts raining, I often have the most fun and memorable hikes. An umbrella makes it even more fun.

Unless I have to push through wet brush or if I'm sleeping and rain is falling inside my tent on my face. Then I'm absolutely miserable and hate rain with a burning passion.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools