Topic

“Gear Swap” Etiquette

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique “Gear Swap” Etiquette

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

I was thinking about the 10 pages of posts last week about a Squall 2 for sale on Gear Swap. I stayed out of that fracus. But I've felt slighted on a couple occasions myself. So I thought I'd get some feedback from the community to see if my thinking is "right on" or "off base".

On two occasions an item was on sale that I was interested in. I added onto the thread expressing interest with my questions, but did not say at that moment, "I'll take it". Either before I got online again to see the seller's response, or before the response came, someone else added to the thread to say, "I'll take it", or something like, "If it's still available, I'll take it." I felt like I should be able to either take it or not, prior to the next inquiry or interested party being able to take it.

In both cases, I let it slide and kept quiet. But I didn't like it. I wondered whether I should have said, "I'll take it. Please answer these questions." And then if I didn't like the answers, give it up, which means the seller has to find another buyer. Is that fair to him?

What's the correct way to think about and to act "nicely" in this kind of situation?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

If it were me selling to you in that situation, and you expressed enough interest, I would answer your questions and keep you first in line. Assuming you gave me an answer within a respectable amount of time (one day) you'd get the item. If someone else said "I'll take it" in the meantime, I'd let them know they were second in line.

If all you said was, "what's its weight" or some similar question, I wouldn't consider that a big enough interest. For me, you must say "I'm very interested, but have a question."

But thats me.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I have posted something along the lines of:

"Please but me first in line for the XX, but I would like to check something out before I commit. I will get right back to you".

Then I check what I need to know and get back to the person ASAP.

Otherwise, if you wait to finish your research, the item will likely be gone.

Seems to have worked ok so far……

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I'm with you guys on this.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"If all you said was, "what's its weight" or some similar question, I wouldn't consider that a big enough interest. For me, you must say "I'm very interested, but have a question.""

+1

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Hey B2W, what color is that jacket you're selling?"
    "Blue."
    "OK, B2W, I want it, how do I paypal you?"
    "Sorry, it's gone."

There's no single correct way, but for me as a seller, using the example above, I would feel like I could have / should have been more courteous to a fellow hiker. If I answered an inquiry, and moments later, a second person expresses an interest to buy — then yeah, I would let the first person know — and give him a reasonable chance to respond as a courtesy. I would also let the second person know that he/she is next in line.

But courtesy goes both ways. As a buyer — when I ask seller a question or express an interest — and later decide against buying — I will always let the seller know.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ben,
    Yes, I should have added in my original post that I would have at least let the other person know.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

I agree too. I do think that the person who asked the question should respond within a couple of hours of the question being answered though- as long as the answer is not posted late at night.

I for one do not want to drag the process over days if there are people interested enough to purchase fairly quickly.

On a similiar note how do you guys feel about people who post an item with "make me an offer"? I for one would prefer they just post the price they are willing to accept. It's not an auction- right?

Greg

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I personally don't like "make an offer." It compounds the process and can draw things out longer. I guess its ok when someone gives a price and also includes "offers will be considered." Which to ME says, "I may sell it for less than listed, not MORE."

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

-1 (or is it -3 now) for "make me an offer" type posts.

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Other websites that I know of states in the rules for their "swap" section that the price must be posted.

gl

Dave T

@davet

Another -1 for "Make an offer" posts. I would say that any item posted should have a price clearly stated, and the FIRST person who offers the asking price (and promptly pays) should get it.

The trusting and cooperative nature of the Gear Swap is one of the best things about BPL.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I would feel like I could have / should have been more courteous to a fellow hiker."

I don't feel I'm being discourteous at all. I've sold a lot of stuff through Gear Swap, and had a lot of people simply ask questions with seemingly no intention to buy. So just asking, 'hey what color is that jacket' isn't enough for me to consider interest. I think it's pretty easy to say, per Travis' example, 'hey, I'm interested. What color is it?' Doesn't mean you have to buy it, but let's me know you have more than a passing interest. And I'll then get back to you before selling to someone else if someone else says 'i want it' before you've replied to my answer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 with Doug.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

As long as we're talking about Gear Swap ettiquette, I humbly submit the following.

As the Gear Swap rules state, you should update your post to reflect the fact that your gear has sold. This is easily done by editing your original post. Sometimes the seller does this by replying to their original post with a 'SOLD' post. This has the effect of bumping a now dead thread to the top of the board and bumping active threads down a slot. I am certain no one is doing this with malicious intent, and don't mean to suggest otherwise. It's just a little thing that obviously doesn't cross the OP's mind, and I'm not losing any sleep over it, just pointing it out.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cold and straight out, "He who snoozes, loses." People ask questions all the time and never take action. People will make offers and then not act on it— "will you take $X for it?" Some people respond by PM or email and the others never see the correspondence.

I go by the time on the communication on "I'll take it" offers and expect payment in 12-24 hours, then I go to the next in line.

It's not eBay, or Nordstrom's, and mistakes will be made. There are some flakes out there too, although I would say that is a tiny fraction compared to eBay, or Craig's List (flake central). My impression is that everyone here is doing the best they can.

Expecting action in a couple hours is unrealistic. There are people who have limited access to email and work for living, and have *lives*, so an offer made at 7AM can't be acted on until after dinner, etc.

I do think it would be flakey if someone jumped in with a higher offer and the seller took that over a commitment that was already made. While I don't think it is unscrupulous, "best offer" posts are a problem waiting to happen.

What is important to me is that people represent the condition of their offerings honestly and well– and ship promptly.

If someone gets the item first, you have to take a win-a-few, lose-a-few attitude. We're trading toys here, not life-critical items. Stuff happens.

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I have sold many things on another forum, and something we did was interest checks, instead of 'make me an offer' posts. If it's a high-dollar item, and you're not sure about the market value, you can put it up without committing to selling it. Like "I've got this Squall that I've never used but I seamsealed it. Is anyone interested for $300?" One would entertain lower offers but not feel committed to selling the item.

And +1 on needing to express specific interest to get a spot in line. Otherwise it's just chaos.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi all

I don't believe there is any single perfect solution.

I do think it is preferable that any posting should include a price, but I am sure there will be cases where that doesn't work. That's life.

I am sure there will be cases where a vendor is a bit slow in dealing with an email or even a Paypal payment. People get to eat and sleep at times.

Posting 'Sold' (or similar) and sending the money by Paypal should clinch the deal, but even then, what happens when two people do that at the same time?

All I can hope for is that we all try to work together and communicate nicely.

Cheers

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Whoever first commits to buying my item, gets it. It is my responsibility to write an ad that leaves few or no questions for the readers.

Specific communication is important. Being "interested" and "will buy" have different meanings. Subtlety is lost on me. Use it at your risk.

Be patient, an identical item will come along. Measure your patience in seasons, not days.

Written by heyyou, the owner of the most mismatched gear colors due to my Gear Swap buying.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Just throwing an opinion in here, but I don't see the harm from a buyers perspective from putting a 'next in line' claim even if you aren't 100% committed at that point in time. It saves your spot and gives you the time to ask your questions with the opportunity of saying 'no thanks.' From the sellers perspective, it correctly identifies the potential buyer as a spot in line. If I were the seller, I would consider the person as a potential buyer and answer their questions as best I could. If they decided the item was not for them, then no harm just move on to the next in line. First come, first serve.

John Drollette

@tradja

Locale: Central Oregon

This fourm is unique among the various hobbyist fora I frequent (knives, HeadFi, shooting, tactical training, etc) in the "dibs" thing. Everywhere else I hang out operates on the "I'll take it!" rule. I respect the house rules here, but I strongly prefer the "I'll take it" system for the following reasons.

Due to the public nature and seqential nature of posts, it is inherently transparent and fair. If Buyer 1 wants to kick tires, lowball, or not check email for a week, then he risks losing out to more motivated Buyer 2 who WILL take it based on the asking price and available information/pics. If I'm interested in an item, I can usually see without asking if it is still available.

As a seller, I also prefer "I'll take it" since there are no hurt feelings, misunderstandings, or putting off motivated buyers while waiting for a response from nonresponsive tire-kickers. Managing a waiting list seems like work to me, on both sides.

In those systems, "I'll take it" is essentially binding. A buyer backing out of that statement is grounds for negative feedback or rep.

The text of the inquiry is unimportant to me. I;ve gotten countless emails/PMs along the lines of "DOOD I totally want the item!!!1! Can you send me more pics? WIll this work with X??" I research and respond, inviting a sale, but never hear from them again. Should I really put off the long line of grown-ups who are ready to pay?

Chat all you want, but the first money on the table, in full view of all, takes it.

Greg Foster
    BPL Member

@thefost

IRT "I wondered whether I should have said, "I'll take it. Please answer these questions." And then if I didn't like the answers, give it up, which means the seller has to find another buyer. Is that fair to him?"

If that's the case, then I generally know what conditions I would need in order to buy something. So I'd word it as "If the jacket's blue or green, then I'll take it." This way your question will be answered, and you are guaranteed to get the item.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools