Topic

SMD Lunar Solo E misinformation/copyright infringement

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Lunar Solo E misinformation/copyright infringement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Kamikochi is beautiful and special enough to render any conflict meaningless. Just north of Kamikochi, the Kurobe-Goro Peak and Valley is one of my favorite places on Earth. If I die here in Japan that's where I'd like my ashes strewn.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Wow. I just couldn't stop myself from reading this entire thread, either. Conflict. Suspense. Drama. It has it all. And, just like passing an auto wreck, I can't help but slow down for a closer look:

Anyway FWIW (sorry, Miguel) I absolutely see the point about there being a difference between a holiday snapshot and the products of an artist or professional- they're making a living, after all, even if it is only part of their income. Not that amateurs can't produce photos with artistic merit or that they don't nonetheless retain rights to their snapshots, but rather that it is a bit irrational to get quite THAT bent about a picture of a tent- that was only ever meant to be a picture showing a tent and not for profit- especially when you posted it publicly like that. Yes, if you want to retain control of it go ahead and ask that the photo be taken down, but don't throw a public hissy fit and start making sideways references to litigation. How very… American… of you, Johan. :o)

Others: A professional who has been infringed MIGHT righteously start with cease and desist orders and subpoenas, but a snapshot??? Heck, just email Ron and see what he says. (Which, in Johan's defense, he did.)

I have also posted previously on my opinion that jumping onto a forum to make a public spectacle out of a private issue is inappropriate and immature unles other avenues have been exhausted. Regardless that Johan DOES have rights to his photos, that statement stands…

I would merely advise Ron to be more diligent in the future precisely beause he WILL continue to encounter persnickety people again and again, and I'm sure that running a small business is an exercise in managed chaos. (And if you ever want to use one of my pics, Ron, go right ahead. When the weather clears I'll send you some…)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Well, there is something to be said for being cautious and smart about the work that you put up on the internet. Unless you have no idea what goes on on the internet it's silly to post something for all to see, especially without any protective wording, and then get upset when someone uses it. It's the internet, after all.

I guess both people, Johan and Ron, could learn something from all this: 1) Don't post your stuff on the internet without precautions 2) Acknowledge when you've used someone's work 3) Be nice and both people contact whomever you have an issue with. It's simple really.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Miguel,
    I agree. I had said that a long time ago on this thread. Yes, if we post an image it is still copyrighted, but we also shouldn't have any delusions of what kind of place the internet is. It's almost a "post at your own risk" kinda place.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

So BPL forums have scared the bejesus out of Moosejaw and SMD in about a week…. whos next? Get em boys. ahah

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>So BPL forums have scared the bejesus out of Moosejaw and SMD in about a week…. whos next? Get em boys.

There's something to be said for that though. In this case it was a little extreme given the companies that were under scrutiny, but think of the effect the internet has on how companies do business. With all the ways to communicate so easily now from one side of the world to the other, we have easy access to companies and their products' reviews, their information, and what people are saying about them. I think it makes a respectable company think twice about short-changing their customers, products, or their business plan, simply because they know word will get out. I know I think twice about a company if they or their products gets some negative reviews.

Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools