Topic

Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

On thread for the off thread bit..
    The bottle of Shellite I have now is type 1, and that is PET. It also has the soft insert in the "child proof" cap.
    Franco

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

So, if I may be permitted the whimsy of actually being on topic, :) if unleaded gasoline/petrol is the most readily fuel, what's a good stove for for such fuel? I pulled out the instructions for my dad's old MSR Dragonfly and those instructions indicated that the additives in unleaded would cause problems for a Dragonfly.

Perhaps the MSR XGK would be a good stove to run on unleaded; the XGK seems to have a good reputation for being able to burn most anything, but who wants to shell out the cash for an XGK?

What about a Svea 123? They still make the "R" (self cleaning) version to this very day. The 123 has such a simple design; perhaps it would be a good choice? They can be had for about half the cost of an XGK.

Lastly, I wonder if there are any stoves for rent "in country?" Seems like a bit of a waste to buy a liquid fuel stove for just one trip although I suppose you could use it as a winter stove or for car camping thereafter.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The lead in leaded petrol was the #1 problem. The additives in unleaded may cause some problems for the jet, but I suspect they could also cause problems for the user's health. Ventilation!

Anyhow, the Whisperlite International with the Shaker Jet would have to be considered.

Cheers

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Dunno if you've decided to go with a white gas/petrol type stove, but just in case, here are some packing ideas:

I haven't traveled with petrol type stoves, but from talking to fellow backpackers, I understand the trick is to remove all traces of fuel smell. Apparently if there's a scent of fuel, things will get confiscated.

Also, bottles shouldn't be too tightly capped. A friend of mine had his fuel bottle confiscated. When the inspector opened it, it sucked in a bit of air. The inspector assumed this had something to do with fuel when in fact my friend had merely last sealed it at a higher altitude.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Alternately, fill to the brim with water after careful flushing. Then label 'Water Bottle'.

Cheers

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Alternately, fill to the brim with water after careful flushing. Then label 'Water Bottle'.

LOL!
    Ain't gonna work here in the USA.
    They are so paranoid now that they don't even let you board a plane with a bottle of water. 3 liquid oz container (full) is the max allowed to be brought through security.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Deep inside your pack of course! Check-in baggage.

Cheers

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Went with MSR Whisperlite Internationale. Gonna wait 'til I arrive to play with it — won't smell!

As for packing, I pack all potentially suspicious stuff on TOP of a checked bag! Too many times have I had my stuff strewn about on a table only to have to pack it back up! If it's checked behind the scenes, they just shove it all back in with a nice note stating that the Homeland Security has been there.

x

I have encountered way to many of these! My stuff a big mess!

POT — gonna horrify y'all. MSR Exo 2. Probably gonna need to actually cook in it.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Anymore, I ship my bear cannister with stove, ziplock bags of powdered stuff (protein, drinks), vitamins, lithium disposable batteries, empty fuel container, REI stormproof matches to a UPS store near the airport I'm landing at, to avoid hassle with TSA — they definitely will throw out lithium disposable batteries anymore, since Jan 2008. Doing that, they've never opened my backpack which has nothing but gear, clothing in it now.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

They've never taken anything from my checked bags, even AA an AAA lithium ion batteries. Looks like spare lithium ion batteries CAN go in carry on: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html So from now on, that's where they will reside. Thanks for pointing this out!

However they do rummage through often which is fine — that's their job. (They especially love ski gear!) So I figure I'll put whatever might interest them on the scan right on top so they don't have to dig.

Probably hard to ship surface overseas these days. I'm not that organized anyway.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Exo 2 doesn't look that bad. The only thing that might cause a problem is the configuration of the handle vis a vis the MSR Whisperlite wind screen. Probably not a deal breaker.

MSR Exo 2 Pot Specs

Description
    Weight 9.3 ounces
    Capacity 2.4 liters
    Dimensions 7.75 x 4.75 inches
    Material Titanium

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

The handle folds upward. All the way over the lid for storage. The stove and other stuff fits inside. :) Quite tidy really.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

The handle folds upward. All the way over the lid for storage. The stove and other stuff fits inside. :)

Re the handle, I was thinking that the handle might interfere with the windscreen while cooking. The handle looks like it's mounted fairly high up. Hopefully the handle will be above the windscreen (ideal) while cooking. If not, it's not the end of the world. More of a convenience issue.

Dunno when you're leaving, but best of luck. Post pictures please. :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

One trick to keep the weight down: "White gas" … will generally keep short term in an ordinary PET water bottle. The trick is to find one without a soft plastic seal inside the cap. In other words, you need to find a bottle with a cap all of one piece, all made out of hard plastic.

You get the 11 oz (smallest and lightest) MSR tank to actually use for operating the stove and carry the remainder of your fuel in a PET bottle. Cuts down the weight of the aluminum tanks a bit.

There was some question a few weeks ago as to whether or not keeping white gas (e.g. Coleman Fuel) in an ordinary clear plastic (PET) is a workable idea.

So, I took a normal clear plastic Arrowhead brand water bottle and filled it with Coleman Fuel about 3 weeks ago. There have been no leaks nor have there been any visibly discernible effects on the plastic bottle. I've been burning the fuel on my regular Wednesday night hikes in either an MSR Whisperlite or MSR Dragonfly stove. I've encountered no unusual burning in either stove.

It seems like it works just fine.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Thanks for experimenting, Jim!

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Hey, cool photos. Love those flower pots. lol.

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools