Topic

Petras, Franco, and Louis- PCT hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Petras, Franco, and Louis- PCT hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yesterday, Petras, Franco, and Louis (the first two being regulars in our forums) stopped by my house on their way to a great PCT trip from Snoqualmie Pass to Stehiken. petras and francoIt was great to meet these guys in real life and to pass on some local information (as well as burgers and beer). Thanks for coming out to visit guys- it was a blast to chat and to show off my insane gear collection. Have a great trip!

David Ure

@familyguy

Where is the 'Roo?

How do the trekking poles work on the carpet?

I wish Franco the best on his trip!!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for sharing the photo Doug. Good luck with the hike guys…

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

The guy with the hat (Franco?) looks like he is stealing my soul with his eyes:)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

If you find yourself inexplicably buying the entire Shires catalog, you know he succeeded.

Best of luck to the trekkers. You picked a spectacular stretch of trail. Doug: count the silverware ;-)

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I have been wondering why Franco has not been posting on the
    Bushwalk Tasmania forum if ant other BPL members meet up with him, say hi from Tony and that the Lightweight debate on BW-T has been quite vigorous lately and I think some progress has been made.

Tony.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

No need to count the silverware- they left with a cuben BPL tarp and a sweet pair of Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 camo poles. Have fun testing out the gear fellas!

One sad piece of news- Petras arrived from Australia with an 85L pack. OUCH! Can he really put a cuben tarp in that thing?!? Luckily he left with a smaller lighter Osprey in mind to buy at REI… not quite my MLD Cuben Revelation but a step in the right direction for sure!

Say hi to Stehiken for me!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Petras, you just sold me your BPL Spinnaker tarp…what are you doing with a 85L pack?!? Shame on you.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Doug
    Just back from the second leg of the trip.

First thank you for your hospitality, the visit to the Doug "Inner Sanctum" ( gear/toy room…) and the use of the GG Lightreck 4 poles poles.
    We did the PCT bit in six days opting to spend the extra night in to get out early on the next day , the seventh, after a late start on the first day.
    The trail was relatively easy to do (water everywhere, only filtered once…). Very spectacular and a buzz for us.
    I used the poles for that section than gave them to Petras for the loop in the Olympic's. (report to follow…)
    Petras had his BPL poles destroyed on the bus on the way back to Seattle. I had a play with those too.
    In the Olympics we started at Deception Point, after 3 PM and eventually after going around in a circle ended up a few feet away from where we started (!) at about 10:30 on the fourth day ,45 miles later. Not many on that trail, not surprising considering that most of it is straight up or down and that Aussies where about.
    Petras complained some because of course he is getting on a bit .( gammy knees and creaky joints) but we all got there in the end.
    My new BD almost CF poles finally got a good work out and offered a valid comparison with the GG ultralight.
    My favourite gear where the poles, my Aarn Pack and my two WM bits ( Ultralite and the new Hooded Flash jacket) as well as my IceBreaker bits (no smell…)
    Oh and the Caldera Cone…
    We all purchased a Neo Air ( my instigation) and that also gets thumbs up from all of us ( noise ? what noise ???)
    But of course the Contrail IS still the best of all for the moment….
    Will post some pics when I get back to civilisation (Melbourne)
    Franco

Zack
    The spooky one is me. The photo was taken at the exact moment I remembered I had left the oven on.
    Tony
    I did get THAT E Mail. I will address it when I get back.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

"The photo was taken at the exact moment I remembered I had left the oven on."

You just made me spit a bit on the computer monitor.

David Ure

@familyguy

"But of course the Contrail IS still the best of all for the moment…."

Great to hear from you; I like reading into things you post. Shouldn't moment be capitalized…..;)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Here are a few shots…
    The Contrail looking pretty…
    Petras can't figure out why it is sooo much better than his green thingo
    Two shelters and the green thingo.
    ( you might spot my new Mont Bell Pillow and the Neo Air…
    Franco
    Bonus "pretty shot"Contrail looking pretty
    Touched by the umbeliever
    Two shelters and the thingo
    Pretty shot
    and the Aarn and the GG poles in action
    Aarn pack,GG poles

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Anyone else have less faith in Homeland Security, seeing as how these guys got thru?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Joe
    Questions were asked about why we were travelling together but there is a very simple explanation : Petras can read, Louis can write and I like to hang around intellectuals.
    Franco
    PCT 5
    PCT 6
    PCT 7

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

I did have to sign some Homeland Security verifications in order for these three to visit- but then they escaped my custody and roamed into the nearby Cascades. Go figure!

So glad you guys had a great trip! I loved seeing the pictures from some of my favorite places on earth.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Hey Petras and Franco,

Here's a funny story about the PCT route you walked:

In 2004 I wanted to see if I could go Stevens to Snoqualmie in 48 hours- I pulled it off southbound in just under 49 hours- quite a trek!

Left Stevens after work at about 5:30PM and made it to Mig Lake. The next day was my biggest day ever- 47 miles and about 9,000 feet of elevation. By the time I got to Spectacle Lake, I was hallucinating. Good things my friends were there to guide me into my bag and force feed me. The next morning, it was out to Snoqualmie- I walked out with a 6 pound pack. What a memorable trip!

This was a far cry from my first hike on that route- 7 days with a friend when I was 18. We started with over 80 pounds each. I never went that heavy again. :-)

Sounds like your trip was more relaxing that either of these adventures- good!

trtre
    Cathedral Rock above Deep Lake

yjkuk
    Meadows near Escondido Tarns

l;llooll
    Night 2 at Spectacle Lake- no problem sleeping on the Z-rest after a 47 mile day. Note the first gen BMW tarp and the pre- Mountain Laurel Designs Ron Bell bivy

spectacle
    Spectacle Lake

rrrrr
    All done! Early Ron Bell pack featured- from his eBay beginnings.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools