Topic

Let’s talk about the whiz freedom

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Let’s talk about the whiz freedom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

"Chris – you store it in your sock!!!!"

Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

I am cracking up so hard, that I might whiz myself! Actually, I do have one, but I need lessons. Hey, it is not like I have had a lifetime of experience from a guy point of view. If I can figure out how to work it in "field conditions", then that would be all good. So, I wonder how long potty training will take…this time.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

OK, even if I ever get the technique down, I think I'll be laughing so hard I'll have a wardrobe malfunction. What do women climbers do when they're spending the night half way up El Cap? Surely someone among us has some experience with this gadget? Speak up – don' be shy!

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I have tried both. I had a Freshette from REI first, and later got a Whiz from BPL.

The Whiz is smaller and is pliable, and yes every last drop shakes off. The cup part of the Freshette is more rigid plastic, and the unit is larger. Both kinds fit in my pocket.

In my experience it was kind of difficult to get the Whiz set into position to where it didn't leak around the edges. And it's shorter so harder to clear clothing. The larger, stiffer plastic cup of the Freshette is much easier to hold leak-free against the body, and the tube is longer. It retains some moisture on it but not much. Recently I have been choosing the Freshette for trips, because it is easier to use.

Another comment re: either type. I find that it is often more difficult to get a urine stream started when I am standing and using one of these devices. I am guessing this may be a result of the geometry of the body's plumbing being better suited to squatting?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

What about for kids? Has anyone let one of their up and coming jr. BPLers try one? Our offspring like to go outside, but don't always have the best 'aim', so my wife discourages it. I hope they can maintain there comfort 'using' the outdoors, but I wouldn't want them to get too comfortable and become dependent on their new-found 'freedom' or whip out a 'freshette' at school.

One of the biggest problem with young backpackers is constipation from timidity of going (#2 granted). By the way, this is an excellent opportunity to introduce my newly coined euphemism for going #2: a "Ghandi"

…the reasoning:

"Saints are hard to live with, and this one's personal habits were decidedly odd. Mondays were "days of silence," when he refused to speak. A devoted vegetarian, he indulged in faddish dietetic experiments that sometimes came near to killing him. He eschewed all spices as a discipline of the senses. He napped every day with a mud poultice on abdomen and brow. He was so insistent on absolute regularity in his daily regimen that he safety-pinned a watch to his homespun dhoti, synchronized with the clock at his ashram. He scheduled his bowel movements for 20 minutes morning and afternoon. "The bathroom is a temple," he said, and anyone was welcome to chat with him there. He had a cleansing enema every night."

source: http://www.time.com/time/time100/poc/magazine/mohandas_gandhi12a.html

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Haha – I've been away too long! I missed some good comments. :)

Thank you, Barbara, for your experiments, and Mina, for your insight.

You both confirm what I suspected – that both the softer and smaller cup of the Whiz would make it trickier to use.

SOOOO – I think I'll be re-ordering the Freshette. I never had a single problem with it – worked like a charm every time, right from the first (timid) try.

I took to using a bit of water to give a quick rinse after use. Lost it before I had a chance to take it on the trail, but I imagine that rinsing, and then leaving in a mesh bag in an outside pocket of my pack to dry would work out nicely, and keep it as clean as the Whiz (considering that urine is sterile).

Rick, thanks for the reminder about down-wind. Definitely not one of those things I would have thought of until it was too late, I am sure…

And Aaron – how large are your children? I've seen a nice trick with female toddlers, where a parent can hold the child against their chest, with the child's back TO them, and hook the parents' arms under the child's knees – kinda in a secure fetal position. If the kid "let's go" in this hold the stream kinda goes out straight ahead and away from child and parent, falling well clear. I was amazed the first time I saw THAT one.

If the child is older (I don't have kids, so I'm guessing here) – maybe 8-10 or older, Mom could probably pretty easily show a kid how to use one properly. I don't think the size difference would be large enough to cause an issue.

All else fails, get Mom one, and let girl try it in the shower. ;-)

And for kids, I'd stick with Freshette for the reasons above – easy of use and consistent results without much fuss…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I am stunned that some are having difficulty using the Whiz! The only thing it really requires is a little control of the stream. I guess we are all built differently.

RE: peeing standing up…I can do this with great accuracy into a toilet bowl, as I remind my sons who have no accuracy what-so-ever. However, without a toilet bowl, the splashbach is significant and not really an option.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Hi Lynn – Glad to hear you can make it work, now I am inspired to keep trying, since I do like the size.

Re Kids – actually my 15 year old daughter – she gave it one look, and there's no way she's going to try it (she says). Oh well – Barbara

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Hahaha! Poor girl – she has no idea what she's missing…

Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

Ditch the oil funnel, aim it with your finger.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I spoke with someone who made their own from a salad dressing bottle. This could be a much cheaper way to try this out. She claims it works better because the opening is nice and wide so there's little chance of overflow.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

When I was stuck in a non-weight bearing leg cast, I used an ordinary funnel attached to some CamelBack tubing, that then ran into a an empty 2.25L soda bottle. This saved me from having to crutch to the bathroom and wake up the whole house in the middle of the night. You need to poke a few holes around the top of the bottle to allow air to escape.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

"I spoke with someone who made their own from a salad dressing bottle."

Was it pepe-corn ranch? Sorry I really can't help it.

Bunnie Kramer

@bunny

Locale: upstate NY

I have a pStyle and love it! I've actually given them to my women friends who are hikers. http://www.kristascups.com/pstyle

A good friend is a police officer who loves her's and says it's VERY handy.

That splash back effect that you get with squatting can still happen with any of these devices. If you care about your shoes and pant legs, just don't aim for sme big flat thing that might bounce it back. (I guess that's something guys learn when they're relly young and now don't even think about it.)

Can't believe this is my first post on BPL! LOL!

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Ooohhh a third option – or actually a fourth if you count the salad dressing bottle, LOL. It's rapidly approaching the point when we may have to ask for a professional BPL review. Hee hee. Barbara

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Thanks for the link! I had no idea there was more out there than the Whiz and Fressette (although, I have seen some disposable options that don't look vaguely confidence inspiring…)

While I like the open design of the pStyle (which may promote faster drying/easier cleaning), I think it'd be much trickier to use that design for, say, mid-night pee-bottles…

I'm with Barbara on the BPL professional review – state of the market style ;-)

Lexi Z

@miss-chevous

Locale: NE Pa

OMG this is a hilarious and yet strangely informative thread! glad i ran into it. ty to everyone for ideas!

Shawneen Devitt

@bydoing

Just use the plastic lid off a large yogurt/cottage cheese container.

Fold it into a taco shape to use.

Cut some of the lip off at the end pointing to the ground.

Much easier to clean…just a squirt from a water bottle. It packs flat. And the price is right.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools