Topic

Whats your weight for the big 3+1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Whats your weight for the big 3+1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I don't know that I've ever posted in one of these 'what's your big 3 weight' threads. I've kind of given up on updating my spreadsheet as I don't find much functionality in it anymore but let's dust it off. 3 season, 10 degrees (pushing it) to 50 degrees (any warmer and I switch bags or just take the bivy)

ULA Conduit ('09 version, single belt pocket & handloops!)- 19.0 oz
    Mike Stivers hand-made ultra deeeluxe 9 foot tarp (incl 8 stakes & guys)- 11.0 oz
    Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy, with bug netting- 7.0 oz
    Western Mountaineering Ultralight- 26.5 oz
    Montbell UL 90 pad with pillow- 12.5 oz
    Chopped up Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso pad- 2.75 oz

Total weight- 78.75 ounces
    Price- maybe $675 after the deals I got?

I guess I could leave the bivy at home sometimes, take one of the pads and not the other sometimes, leave a few stakes and guys home sometimes, or buy a $400 quilt but I don't find myself sweating that extra half pound yet. Maybe when I grind the rest of the cartilage out of my left knee…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I find this thread to be very illustrative, but it would be moreso if folks would mention their presumed locals/terrain/temps. As the gentleman from NFL noted, things like biblical insects can make a big difference.

Summer MT weekend mountain kit:

CCW Ozone (mod.): ~30 oz.
    WM Summerlight: 18 oz.
    Emerg. Bivy: 4 oz.
    MSR E-Wing with rigging: 10 oz.
    GG 1/8" full: 2 oz.

4 lbs. (rigging includes lots of cord but no stakes, pack weight includes cut down Z-rest backpad)

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"if folks would mention their presumed locals/terrain/temps"

my rig works well to just below 35°, as previoulsy mentioned.
    ~wearing no additional [cheat] clothing, just hiking pants and tshirt~

of course like anyone else i add a few more ounces of down to get me into the twenties and below.

funny thing about my "locals/terrain/temps" is that I can presumabley use my summer quilt for year-round camping… that is to say it works well in the lower sonoran in the dead of winter, and works well in the 12000' range in the dead of summer. now that's versatile! (well, sort of.. :P)

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Absolute Minimum of 30 degrees (F):
    Pack: MLD Prophet + Pack cover + Liner = 13.6 oz
    Shelter: MLD Grace Solo + Stakes + Poles + MLD SuperLight Bivy = 16.55 oz
    Bag: WM Highlite = 16 oz
    Pad: GG Thinlight (trimmed) = 3.45 oz
    Total = 49.6 oz = 3.1 lbs

If I'm expecting an absolute minimum of 15 degrees (F), then replace the WM Highlite for a Nunatak Arc Alpinist at 20 oz and add a GG Nightlite Torso pad at 3.6 oz for a total of 57.2 oz (3.6 lbs)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Conditions under which gear is used are very important!

Mine are as follows: 3 seasons Cascades, summer in high Rockies. I'm not really happy until I'm up around timberline. In other words, possible freezing nights anytime and possible severe storms, especially in the Rockies. My 80-lb. dog goes with me, so I need a bug-free space for him as well as for myself.

Shelter: Currently Tarptent Squall 2, 36.3 oz. with stakes, including extra side stakes and guylines. This was my first seam-sealing job, so I went a little overboard on the seam sealer. I want to get a Gossamer Gear Squall Classic to save ~10 oz., but with repeated postponements of when these will be back on the market (originally last Dec. or Jan., now June, next ???), I'm no longer counting on it. The alternative is to shoehorn dog and me into a Tarptent Contrail–too small, I know, but at least the Contrail, unlike my last attempt at putting the two of us in a solo tent, has adequate ventilation.

Pack: Six Moon Designs Comet (older version), 27 oz.

Sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super, 24.6 oz. (size short)

Pad: POE Insulmat Max Thermo (older version of the Ether Thermo), 3/4 length, 16.9 oz. Will replace with Thermarest NeoAir at 9 oz., but only if the latter is equally comfortable.

Total 6.6 lbs. currently, 5.5 lb. with proposed changes. The tent change, one way or another, is definite; the pad is still a maybe.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools