Topic

2022 Bob Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2022 Bob Open

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

I usually packraft in my hiking trail runners and wool-blend socks, but add a pair of NRS neoprene socks in between.  Makes a huge difference for very little weight.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Dan,

I’m assuming the NRS against the skin since they are neoprene,  kinda like diving booties

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Anders,

Rock creek is full of wood.

Josh,

I wear them on the outside of my Darn Tough’s. I recently purchased a new pair of the NRS hydro’s to replace my worn out old ones and the new cut is way better.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

You would think so, but I’ve tried both ways and it seems warmer to have the wool inside the neoprene.

An actual wetsuit works by trapping a layer of water between the body and the wetsuit, which the body then warms and acts as an insulating layer.  I think the socks are  too thin to do this well (and not form-fitting), so you end up with pockets of air that don’t get warm.  Wool stays tight to the feet and insulates even when wet, thus not allowing those air pockets.

Just a guess.  YMMV

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Interesting…. I used to scuba dive so I’m very familiar with wet suits and booties

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ll be the contrarian with regards to the Neoprene socks :)  I don’t wear my Darn Toughs with them at all, I wear an uber thin merino liner sock underneath them.  This is hiking though, not rafting.

Only wear them where I’m constantly in cold water and/or slush (which could mean a lot in the Open! :) )

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Mike,

Are you from Yonkers or somethin?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

fuhgettaboutit Joisey boy!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

don’t forget your snowshoes :)

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Snowshoes? Didn’t need those last year.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ :D

Anders N.
    Spectator

@andersn

Some beta for folks planning to float the NF Blackfoot out to Missoula: there is a log blocking the primary exit channel from the Six Pin boulder garden rapid. Maybe could be paddled over at a higher level (about 850 cfs today). There’s another river-wide log a mile or so further down in some none-descript boogie water that we were able to scoot over on the far left. Neither would be particularly obvious without scouting from shore and both could be problematic. Hopefully a bit more water next weekend!

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

this spring won’t let up >

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

I agree Rob.

With the current snowpack at 120% Badger and 140% at Lockhart there is a good potential with the current 10 day forecast for some big runoff. Above freezing temps at night, pushing mid 60’s, and some rain Friday should get things moving.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

note to self:

bring snowshoes AND rain gear

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

if guys are interested, there are a few of us that will be dining at Buffalo Joes in Dupuyer around 5-ish before heading to Blackleaf

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Good luck to everyone heading into the Bob this weekend. I’m envious. It looks like it’s going to be a great weekend with plenty of snowpack to keep things interesting. I hope to make it back in 2023.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Thanks Dan; looking forward to your return :)

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Good luck everyone! Excited to read some trip reports!

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

We bailed to Meadow Creek TH last night. Trip report at some point. Anyone heard anything from the other groups?

We’re working on hitching back to the car from Hungry Horse today so if anyone is around the front and wants to give us a hand on the Dupuyer to Blackleaf leg that would be awesome.

In honor of a more successful year here’s footage from 2021 that I finally got together but never shared with y’all: https://youtu.be/f77JICnLqwU

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Will- glad you guys are safe; too bad on the bail.  Look forward to the story.

Tom, Elliot and I got out at Marias Pass Monday late.  It was as tough as any previous Open- plenty of snow this year, swollen creeks/streams, lots of climbing.  We lucked out on the weather Saturday and Sunday (little light rain/snow Sunday afternoon.  Monday not so luck- rail all (ALL!) day Monday, often pouring.  Regardless of the hardships, was a great trip and fun to meet another like minded individual in Elliot.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

@ Will- nice video.  You guys have some mad white water skills!

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Awesome video @Will! The entire time I was like yeah I could raft that until I saw some of the major white water! Very cool and maybe one day….

Must have been rough for a rafter needing to bail, suck!

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Congrats Mike Tom and Elliot !! Looking forward to trip report !

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Locale: Missoula

Made it to the Rattlesnake TH 7:19 pm tonight! What a treat.

Trip report to follow.

Day One: Blackleaf to darn near takeout before Gibson

Day Two: Darn near Takeout -> Danaher Meadows

Day Three: Danaher Meadows to River Junction Campground

Day Four: River Junction Campground to Rattlesnake TH via Packraft (and some hiking on Jumbo).

About one mile from the finish I randomly ran into previous Bob Open finishers John and Tyler! I could not believe it. “Are you finishing the open right now?!”

Rob and I stuck together until he split for the checkpoint around Basin Creek cabin. He may also have a super creative curve ball route planned. Looking forward to hearing from him.

Tom + Will and the rest of the crew, glad you guys made it out. Looking forward to hearing your reports! And yeah, Will: wow. Awesome video.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools