Topic

2022 Bob Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2022 Bob Open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Start will be Blackleaf Canyon TH on the Rocky Mountain Front; specifically, the stock trailhead 500 yards before the car trailhead, due to it having more parking.  I will post the finish in early May.  I’m reserving the start for a number of reasons, adjusting to conditions being one.  That said, the finish I intend to use is 95.29 straightline miles from the start.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

You’re keeping Tom up at night :)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Very cool. That would put the Finish either somewhere in Northwest Glacier or Downtown Missoula , hmmmm.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

I smell some road slogging. :(

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Longtime lurker, hoping to be a first time BMWO participant. With a distance like that I’m guessing pack rafting is going to be the method of choice this year.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

If my finish line guess is correct a raft would not be my accessory of choice.

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Like Scott, I’m seeing only two likely finishes (unless Dave is messing with us which would be pretty funny): Kettlehouse in Bonner (hoping for a finish during business hours) or Bowman/Kintla Lake area. If that’s the case it seems like it would be advantageous to utilize the Blackfoot or Middle Fork as opposed to what would likely be ~150 miles on a land only route.

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

What are y’all’s thoughts on ‘packbiking’ (essentially disassembling your bike and hiking it on your back in terrain where biking is either not possible or not legal). The  article below describes the process and loosely explores the legal concerns. I have heard of thru riders doing this for sections of the Arizona Trail that aren’t open to biking. It’s easy to imagine a lot of quality and efficient bikeable miles if the route ends somewhere near Missoula.

https://www.bikemag.com/inspiration/packing/

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I think we had two folks that were very close to doing exactly that last year, but changed their minds at the last minute

Dave can pipe in as the final authority, but my understanding if you’re willing to pack (and sometimes ride) the bike the entirety of the trip you’re good- much like having the raft with you the entire trip.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Rob,

The areas you are referring to on the Arizona trail bikes are “legal” to carry not to ride. Within the Bob Marshall, Scapegoat, and Great Bear it is illegal to ride and or possess a bike period. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413632.pdf

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I was always under the impression you could carry, but not ride- good to know!

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Thanks for the replys. I understand (and support) the no-bikes-in-wilderness policy. I do wonder though if the author of the bikemag article has a point when he says, ‘if a bicycle is disassembled, is it still a bicycle? Or is it a bunch of bicycle parts?’.  It feels like word play, but legally he might have a point.  For what it’s worth, I don’t think carrying a bike on your back and only riding where it’s legal violates the spirit of the wilderness act, legal or not. I’d be curious to know if there’s smart people out there that have already thought through this.

Has anyone ever used a mountain bike in a proud style for an Open. It doesn’t really seem possible without the option to packbike.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Mike,

I also see that cutting switchbacks is also a crime…. Just saying

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Mike,

I also see that cutting switchbacks is also a crime…. Just saying

well there was that one time I slid and tumbled down a couple hundred feet a$$ over teakettle, so at least I had an excuse :)

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Bonner seems too random to be the ending, although the weigh station boat ramp is the correct distance. It would require a terrible highway hike in the canyon for people without rafts. It also seems like the fastest route to Bonner would be too similar to last year’s route, which was a long float on the mainstem of the Blackfoot.

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

That was my thought as well about a Bonner area finish. A route that has the option of going through GNP would certainly be attractive, but would be logistically…interesting

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ve been wrong before………… but I took Dave’s 95.29 miles tongue in cheek; but as I said I’ve been wrong before :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

So many possibilities.

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Just realized the Rattlesnake TH is also 95 miles from the start…. Not gonna lie, I love speculating about all the possibilities!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Public House café is also within the range. Long float trip.. :)

Evan M
    Spectator

@ezm5317

+1 for Rattlesnake

MMC
    BPL Member

@mmc

For anyone wishing to have a little fun speculating on the end point for the 2022 Bob Open, I started a new discussion.  Link is below:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/the-gamble-before-the-ramble/

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

I’ll take the dumb money on a finish somewhere between Ruple Meadow and Antice Knob in the Flathead even though it looks horrific for non-boaters. Rattlesnake would be quite similar to last year’s start and endpoints, floating the whole middle fork from strawberry to confluence would be really cool, and I think Dave likes to punish the packraftless.

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

The Flathead/GNP probably is the dumb money but I think that would be my preference. A Rattlesnake finish would be really cool, but, as you say, it’s quite similar to last year

Adam R
    Spectator

@rhinocesaurus

Parallel line but I would think unlikely to cover the same trails. Except for those pesky packrafters… 😄

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools