Topic

2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

If the start location is kinda blowing up, I can’t help but think about selecting my own alternate start. Given that I’m very committed to floating the NF of the Sun, the West Fork Teton TH looks like a good alternate. It’s a similar hiking distance to the put in and the pass over the Sawtooths is significantly less gnarly. However the road to the West Fork is 500’ higher than the SF. I know this road is maintained for the ski hill during the winter, but I don’t know it’s current state. Does anyone have any info on the drivability of the road to the WF? Thanks

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

One week ago both the West Fork and South Fork were drivable (ie absent snow).  The Front definitely took the brunt of this storm, but it’s possible in a week the roads would be free of snow- forecast is for seasonable temps.  There is moisture in the forecast for Wednesday, so possible a little more snow.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Dave,

I support your decision 100%!!!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Free Beta:

This was the Beaver Willow road #233 this weekend.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tom

Do you carry chains?

Cheers

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Roger,

I don’t. I use bigger tires and beadlock wheels to give me the ability to air down to 5psi if need be. I also use ARB differential lockers. Never been stuck in the last 20 years and I’ve been in some deep over the hood stuff many times. 

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Big knobbly tires though. Fair enough.
    We have to travel a long way on asphalt to get to our preferred mountains. That means tires slightly more adapted to the road.

Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

He drives a Tacoma :)

Here’s what Headquarter’s Pass looked like a week and a half ago; I’ll be the first to admit it was a little saucy/spicy/dicey; with a foot plus of new wet snow on top…..

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

I love the planning of this. I’ve been pretty sketched about Avy danger about Headquarter pass the last week. So much I went and bought an Ice axe and microspikes. Not sure if I was gonna bring them but I was prepping. I was however looking forward to the NF Sun. Oh well, like Thad, another trip later in the year.  I may or may not make it this year but wish everyone luck.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Have you guys considered delaying the start a few weeks…..?

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Hope not , some of us From the east are already on the road 😉

Nate B
    Spectator

@natebender

Does anybody have some insight as to the finish line parking logistics, since there’s no overnight parking at Sunset Hill bridge? What are folks thinking that are leaving a vehicle at/near the end rather than being picked up? Ceremonially touch the bridge and then walk another 16 miles to beer & redemption at Trixie’s?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

There’s a state section adjacent to the takeout, I don’t think it would be a issue to park on it (as long as you are close to the road); also a rest area across from Clearwater Junction (but adds some walking)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

In other news, a fellow messaged me a couple of weeks ago about going in early ( had a conflict on this weekend). They went in Wednesday, just before the storm. They had trouble at HQ Pass, his companion took a long slide and hit a rock. They abandoned the trip and went back to the trailhead. That met some Forest Service folks on the way out who told them they were expecting a couple of feet of snow. Fortuitous they turned around.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

There is overflow parking on your right as you exit Hwy 200 onto sunset hill rd. that should be legit. Don’t plan on parking anywhere near the finish its posted no parking. I think the state land mike is referring to is a float in camp only but I’m not certain.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

I should clarify no overnight parking at the finish day use only.

Nate B
    Spectator

@natebender

Thanks Mike & Tom; that overflow parking at the Sunset/200 junction looks perfect. It also adds some nice irony in that my group is not packrafting to the finish, so if we take that road down from 200 we’ll get to look longingly at the car before walking the final miles to the bridge. If we stash beers at the car to drink during those final miles does that count as caching?? :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

beer is exempt from the cache rule, ask Thad :)

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Dave C.  would second that ruling as seen at the end of his video.

YouTube video

Thad A
    BPL Member

@thad

Mike, leave it to a retired warden to go turning me in!  If I recall it says “no pre-planned assistance,” and since alcohol is a detriment to physical performance that would be well within the color of the rules!  Plus it seems like there is some “in the event of road walking within the last ten miles of the course, found alcoholic beverages may be consumed” caveat language, but I’m admittedly a bit hazy about where I read that part.

And mind you, I am not making any sort of admission.   The only (alleged) beer stash the last couple years was regrettably at the vehicle all the way at the very end.  And despite being at Monture creek last weekend, I tragically forgot to bring the necessary supplies for such a stash.  So take back your libelous accusations Sir!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ there’s still time to drive back up to Monture Ck  :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Said beer was stashed at the finish.  Just sayin.

P.S.   Hope everyone is bringing their stream crossing shoes.

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Made it out yesterday at 9:20 pm for 105ish miles in 37h20m and an awesome trip across the Bob.  Highlights included a lovely stroll up SF sun, 11pm deadfall gymnastics by headlamp down Stadler creek, early morning elk bugling in Danaher Meadows, floating the Dry Fork, and smashing big wave trains with dark closing in to make the finish.  For those not rafting, you missed out.  40 miles in the boat was the most brutal part of the trip.

Super done physically, but couldn’t be happier.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Hell yes Seth.

Not 100% on my count but I think we had 23 starters.  Will have to wait on the photos.  Lots of experienced folks, lots of first timers, people from all over the country, and a 40+ year age spread.  Seemed like an equal variety of routes, too.

I went south to Welcome Pass and the southern flank of Scapegoat into the headwaters of the N Fork of the Blackfoot, which aside from the road walk was a stellar day of walking.  Just made it over the highpoint with enough light (1015pm) to pick a good route down.  I was quite excited to be done with walking at the road below the crux whitewater on the N Fork, and even more psyched to float 40 miles in a smidge over 5 hours, and yet more psyched to immediately score a ride to Clearwater Junction and avoid the road walk.  95ish miles in 33 hrs and 50 minutes.

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Anders and I got to the bridge at 12:30 today after starting at WF Teton on Saturday morning. Personal highlights include seeing the N and S fork Sun valleys for the first time, views from the scapegoat plateau, 4 miles of stomping IV+/V- on the NF Blackfoot, and totally lucking into an awesome backcountry partner in Anders.

Lowlights include some decision making around our ascent to scapegoat, doing the whole route on a very unhappy knee, and the fact that the sun set while I was on the NF Blackfoot which nixed my desire for an unbroken descent and our intent to get below the serious whitewater by dark so we could night-float the lower NF and the main blackfoot.

I’ll post a full TR and video at some point. Gonna have to check the exact mileage but by my count: 135 miles in 52 hours 30 minutes.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools