Topic

2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

it’s official

https://bedrockandparadox.com/bob-marshall-wilderness-open/

The 2021 Open will start at 0800 MDT, Saturday May 28th.  Start will be the South Fork Teton TH, finish the Sunset Hill bridge on the Blackfoot River, just upstream from the Clearwater.  Course area is all public land in Montana.  Note: there is no overnight parking at the finish.  The usual guidelines apply.

-This is not a race.

-You must be entirely self-supported and self-contained.  Take everything you need, and leave nothing behind but footprints.  Any pre-planned assistance of any kind is forbidden.

-Any form of human-powered locomotion is allowed within the identified course area.  No linear travel on the surface of paved roads.

-You are responsible for you.  Come prepared for challenging conditions which can easily, with improper luck or preparation, turn life-threatening.  Any and all contingency and emergency plans must be arranged in advance by each individual.

and so it begins again :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What is ‘linear travel’?
    Even on ‘the surface of a paved road’? Can you do it above or under the surface?

Cheers

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Let the route planning begin. No raft is gonna equal a terrible road walk at the end. Passing Trixies at the end is just cruel and unusual punishment…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the end is not looking superb at this juncture

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Yikes! Looks like another good on. Those ranges look crazy

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Come visit Roger, then you’ll understand.

The Blackfoot-Clearwater WMA is open May 15, and is a very cool place to walk through.  But, yes punishing the raftless more than usual this year.  Sorry not sorry?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

The Blackfoot-Clearwater WMA is open May 15, and is a very cool place to walk through.

that could definitely be an option, but walking into Trixies with a 100 mile hunger sounds pretty good too :)

Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

mike, tom , here we go again ! its looking like the michigan crew is coming back-  covid or not , we’ve got some scores to settle with the “Bob”- haven’t looked at the route yet , but judging from your comments—

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@danqm
    I live in south bend about 30min from you and have tried sending some DMs. I’d love to talk to you about the Bob Open as I want to do it! I’m not sure about 2021 yet but soon!

Andrew C
    BPL Member

@acupino

Am I crazy for thinking the best route from Benchmark to the Blackfoot is off trail over Observation Point and down the Dry Fork? Maybe @twofeathers has seen that section before?

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Andrew I have been to the pass between Flint and Observation point a few times. I guess all would depend on how you plan on getting there from the CDT (202 or 246).

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Locale: Missoula

Interesting indeed! Andrew, what happened to keeping route info a little close to the vest this far out ;)    Put on some skis and investigate!

Hope everyone is doing well out there.

Kyle

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I hope at least a few folks float the Dry Fork.  It deserves more attention.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Check out the patchwork of land ownership in the southern portion of the route

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@davec can you clarify the start point:

• the trailhead at the corrals (off of road 190-D) that starts right at the S Fk river crossing, or
    • the end of the road TH that heads up to HQ Cr Pass?
    Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

If I make it out there this year I imagine I’ll do the bottom 4 or 5 miles of the Dry Fork into NF Blackfoot. Hope it’s not a huge water year so the NF isn’t too high to boat.

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

Dave, I was eyeballing the Dry fork and reading your notes on it in the ” Packrafting the Crown” book. Sound intriguing along with the N. Fork of the Sun. Both of which are on my to do list.

My big question is what part of the N. Fork of the Blackfoot and the Blackfoot proper is going to be reasonable to float in run off? If I recall from the 2018 event where we started from the N. Fork Blackfoot TH, there were some sketchy sections below the TH. But that was epic runoff year also.

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Ive paddled the NF Blackfoot twice, once at around 1200 CFS and once at like 450.  1200 is legit Class IV, my guess from that flow is that somewhere around 1500 or 1800 it gets a bit technically easier but the consequences of a swim continue to get worse. I can’t access the USGS data for the flow on the first day of the open in 2018, but from my memory of the hike up I think that whatever that flow was is probably the province of big water Class V kayakers.

I probably wouldn’t get on it alone above about 1800 or with a partner above 2500. For many other packrafters those cutoffs are likely to bet lower; I think it mostly depends on your comfort level in the boat. Of course we wont know the flows to that level of detail having spent the last 36 hours in the backcountry, but it’s a useful reference I think. If you’re dropping in from the North (and so can’t scout the river on the hike in) the availability of a wood report from the current season is also a factor in the decision matrix.

Below where the NF Blackfoot comes out of the mountains it looks like Class II, ditto the Blackfoot proper. So probably fine during runoff as long as you’re heads up about wood. But other folks who have paddled that stretch will probably have more info.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I concur with Will. The N Fk is pretty serious water at high levels up there.

At high water levels, even the N Fk below the TH and above Kleinschmidt flats is pushy and technical. I’ve had to paddle like mad to avoid being pushed by big waves into corners. An inexperienced boater would likely be a little scared even in this section if the river is running at 1500+.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

End of the road for the start.

Will encapsulated the range of possibilities well.  2018 was as big as I’ve seen the North Fork, and at least 1 in 5 years it never gets that big.  That said, at any flow the crux 4 miles is not to be taken lightly.  It’s been remarkably wood free for years now, but who knows when that will change.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Is it too early to scout some BMO short cuts? Mike M and I found a dandy this weekend. -8 on the old mercury was refreshing.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Yeah refreshing, that’s it :D

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

-8 C (or -8 F) beats the hell out of +40 C!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ true that! :)

Scott G
    BPL Member

@sgrimm

What are the chances the road to S. Fork Teton trailhead is passable in March. I’ve got a week off over spring break and was thinking of doing some scouting testing out some gear.

If not there; any other suggestions on early season access into Bob trailheads? Are some of the ranger stations even open right now?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools