Topic

2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2021 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Dan M
    BPL Member

@danqm

Looking forward to catching up – see you there !

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Several folks went over headquarters pass in 2012 in a snowstorm.  By all accounts it was spicy.  It seems a little too early to tell this year and I think will depend on the weather in the next few weeks.  Given an 8:00 am start, it may be a race to get over the pass before things soften up too much unless there is a good freeze overnight.

Not having eyes on the ground, I’m trying to keep an open mind on route selection if things aren’t right despite really, really wanting to float the NF Sun.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

There are two main crux and those areas can really bring the suck depending on snow conditions. Earlier the better unless its crusty ice. At least its not far from the trailhead to backtrack and grab tools you weeded out the night before :)

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

I’m 50/50 on making it this year- it depends on how the paddling season elsewhere shakes out- but I’m still enjoying thinking about routes. Does anyone know how high up toward Sun Lake and scapegoat plateau the SF Sun trail is cleared (this year’s deadfall notwithstanding)?

Also is anyone else planning on paddling the Class IV (might be more like IV+/V- that time of year) section of the NF Blackfoot? Assuming I make it out this year I’ll be shooting to put in on Dry Fork NF Blackfoot midday on Sunday unless the water is catastrophically high. It would be a nice section to partner up for if anyone else has a similar plan.

Andrew C
    BPL Member

@acupino

I’m planning to scout the SF Sun trail at least to Elbow Pass and possibly further the 22nd/23rd so I can post about it afterwards. I’m confident I have no business floating the NF between the Dry Fork and the road bridge below the campground, but that’s the general direction I’m headed. I’ll be scouting those lower sections for deadfall this weekend so I can post about those conditions as well.

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Will

I’ll be aiming to put on the dry fork around the same time but plan to take out before the entrance rapid before the footbridge.  If you run it, good luck and kudos to you.  That’s above my pay grade.  It is almost tempting as a brand new Alpacka wolverine with all the goodies should be arriving on my doorstep in the next few weeks, but I haven’t done any serious boating in the last few years.  Plus, I have no interest in carrying a drysuit…

Andrew

I’ll be interested in your report.  Memorial day is getting close!

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

Yeah I hear that about the drysuit weight Seth. I think it’ll be worth it to get 5 fast miles off the feet and avoid another set of transitions but we’ll see.

Looking forward to hearing about the SF Sun trail, thanks Andrew!

Rob
    BPL Member

@alpine_sailor

Locale: Missoula

Also interested to see what the SF Sun trail is like, but it looked to me like there wasn’t a good option for dropping off the south side of Scapegoat Plateau; seemed to cliff out pretty bad. I’m hoping Observation Pass to Observation Point is as doable as google earth suggests.

I’m also planning to put in on the Dry Fork, but skip the big time rapids. I was hoping to time that portage with a sleep at the end of day 2

Is the concern with Headquarters Pass the cliff band that needs to be climbed before reaching the Pass proper? To me this looks like it will be sketchy if there is a lot of snow, but I have no idea what the snow situation is. I’m thinking snowshoes might not actually be a liability here and this route might need require proper traction and the ability to self-arrest, assuming the snow is firm. Initially I wanted to go over the saddle above Our Lake but that doesn’t look possible, or at least not very safe. Curious what others think…

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

A complete newbie question but for rafting how can you tell where to avoid and what the rapids will be like before getting there?

Same goes for headquarters pass, there is a trail on the Forrest map but how do you determine if it’s viable before getting there?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

but how do you determine if it’s viable before getting there?
    Are you feeling lucky?

That is part of the point of the backcountry: there are no guarantees.

Cheers

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I figured but wasn’t sure if there was some secret I didn’t know about 😁

Kyle P
    BPL Member

@pucko25

Locale: Missoula

Packrafters unite! I’m planning on NF sun, up and over white pass, down to south fork, up Monture and floating Monture from the Cabin to the Missoula Higgins Street Bridge.

Just kidding, it I’ll be in the adventure with everyone else on Dry Fork and NF Blackfoot :)

Re: Hazards in water: I sometimes find Google Earth can be useful in telling you when the water gets constricted vs floating through flats. Also devour other trip reports and river reports people have given. NF Blackfoot is a good example of that. Plan for plenty of on-snow travel with no trail.

Rob, I’m also leaning toward something spiky for HQ pass. The 2012 trip reports provide some good insight into what might be ahead for anyone choosing that direction. I’ve got a couple plans after floating NF Sun but likely taking the path of least resistance over Stadler. Nice photos of the pass itself. Going to be a bit Western! Dan went up onto Scapegoat Plateau in 2018 via NF Blackfoot and down Greenfork to float Straight Creek so it’s possible, but might not be where you want to drop.

Will, I’m also out for that stretch.

Lastly, I might be late to the “hitching-a-ride” game, but anyone heading toward Choteau from Missoula on Friday with room in their vehicle?

Will B
    BPL Member

@elephanthead

I’m also looking to snag ride from Missoula around 3:30 if anyone is coming through that way.

Andrew C
    BPL Member

@acupino

Today I hit the NF Blackfoot down from the bridge below the campground. No wood concerns at all. The river was at 1200 cfs today and was easily approachable at my beginner competency. It’s definitely splashy for the first few miles. I scoped out the canyon around the campground and was tempted, but the consequences are a bit higher on that stretch.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Interesting forecast for the next week.  Depending on the temps middle of next week avalanche hazard could be a real concern.  If you are thinking about Headquarters take a close look at the map and don’t necessarily feel tied to following the trail.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

“A complete newbie question but for rafting how can you tell where to avoid and what the rapids will be like before getting there?”

Look downstream.

Get out and stand on a rock to see better.

Sat photos are also handy.  Ideally use a mapping tool that tells you how old the sat photos are.  Keep tabs on the past 12 months flow patterns in the area, especially this spring since melt off started, and reference those patterns to average patterns.  Big flows, and especially sharp pulses, tend to move wood around and create new hazards in new places.

Know the local geology and what sorts of rapids (bedrock ledges v. boulder gardens v. alluvial hazards) are most likely at given aspects and elevations.  Similarly, know the local soil and flora and know which kinds of trees tent to erode under which conditions.  Watch for freshly eroded trees on the outside of bends, fresh driftwood on the inside, etc.  If a fresh channels heads straight into the spruce be super heads up and get ready to portage.

Big picture, you are not learning much of the above without a lot of practice, and the Bob in May is a less than ideal time to get that.  Wilderness packrafting tends to combine rudimentary to intermediate paddling hazards to PhD level risk assessment and decision making.  In the past year I’ve paddled with a few kayakers whose skills are significantly above my own, but have never run a river or creek with no beta at all.  Packrafters must need a very different frame of reference.

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

The forecast is looking really spicy for this week:

…WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT
    FROM 9 PM WEDNESDAY TO 9 AM MDT FRIDAY…

* WHAT…Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
    inches at lower elevations, and 8 to 15 inches in the mountains.
    Isolated higher amounts.

* WHERE…Northern Rocky Mountain Front and Southern Rocky Mountain
    Front.

* WHEN…From 9 PM Wednesday to 9 AM MDT Friday.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

some of the models show 2’+ in the mountains; we’ll take the moisture down low- it’s too dry for mid May

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

4″ of snow in our yard (at 4400′) in the last 24 hours.  Badger Pass is showing 2 full inches of SWE in the past 48, Wood Creek 1″ of SWE.  All rivers have dropped over that time due to temps.

Looks like there is a strong possibility of both fresh, nasty snow up high and rivers and creeks rising throughout next week.

Matt L
    BPL Member

@mattl6722-2

Good luck to everyone next week!  I won’t be coming out this year (actually out west now trying to close on our retirement land in NE Washington!).  I hope to see everyone next year.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

START CHANGE.

I presume everyone is paying close attention to the current weather and forecast.

Unless Wednesday and Thursday are on the warmer end of things I think it a distinct possibility we will collectively not be able to drive to the SF Teton TH.  Or that doing so will rut things up, get someone stuck, and have everyone camping the night before in a slush swamp.  Frankly, I also have misgivings about avy hazard on Headquarters Pass.  Therefore I am changing the start to the Home Gulch Campground, below Gibson Reservoir on the Sun River.  This is a less dimensioned route, and I don’t blame anyone for preferring and taking the original route.  I also hope everyone understands that as a vaguely official event there was not a reasonable choice here.

I anticipate fresh, messy snow and the associated avalanche hazard to linger well into next weekend.  I also expect the snow and rain that is set to keep falling for another 72 hours to swell waterways, possibly massively if the forecasted highs the middle of this coming week prove conservative.  There is strong potential for this year to have the most challenging and hazardous conditions yet.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

well that changes things :)

Seth Cunningham
    BPL Member

@seththesailor

Thanks Dave.  You broke all of my spreadsheets, and too late to regain the sleep I lost last night thinking about how heinous headquarters might be, haha.

But seriously, this seems like a good call for all the reasons you mentioned.    I can get more excited about this than the low-prairie alternates I was beginning to consider.

What is good for dinner in Augusta Friday night?

Thad A
    BPL Member

@thad

I imagine the dinner will move to the Buckhorn.  Unless Augusta got a hot new place recently.  Need to do some route retuning, although I’ve got some non-negotiable work obligations the next week which should be easier to make it back for now. I’d been looking at potentially having to end at monture with a dreadful DNF next to my name.  Gonna miss a stroll through the NF of the Sun, but I’ll just have to pack the kids in later this year I guess. Look forward to seeing everyone Friday!

Anders N.
    Spectator

@andersn

Hey folks,

I don’t have any experience with this sort of event but it seems to combine my favorite elements of being, cold, wet, tired, and mildly disoriented, so I’m planning on giving it a go.  I would love to get to tag along or team up with someone who has a little more experience with these things for some or all of the course, as I am honestly a little intimidated by the remoteness factor.  I’m not from the ultra world but I’m a fairly fit young fellow and I don’t expect that I would slow anyone down.  I am also a competent white water paddler (though I don’t intend to take this borrowed packraft sans ww skirt down anything super technical).  Thanks!

Also, I hiked up the North Fork Blackfoot to the Dry Fork today.  Dry Fork appears a little bony in the braided section above the confluence but should be floatable.  The sections of the North Fork I could see from the trail were clear of wood, though I could see the remains of a slide headed into the gorge section above the parking lot; so I’d be cautious coming through that piece of water. Haven’t paddled that river yet but it looks like it would be a fun level.  It was snowing hard there but so far not much accumulation.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools