Topic

2018 PNW Mossy Butt Club

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2018 PNW Mossy Butt Club

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

See next post.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It’s official.  The 2018 MBC will be at Clear Lake group campsite Friday Sep 7th through Sunday morning Sep 9th.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/clear-lake-group-site/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73945

The campsite has been fully paid for by three generous donors.  No fee but please RSVP and contrIbute by donating a bundle of firewood, community hand sanitizer, or whatever.

There’s a really nice network of trails nearby and plenty of opportunities to go on a day hike that weekend or to plan a multi day group hike immediately before or after.  I’ve hiked the 27 miles of the PCT between White and Chinook Pass a couple times.  It’s a nice section of trail with a few fishing opportunities.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for less smoke next year.
    <div></div>

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Thank you Ian for once again making this happen. Looking forward to it.

michael

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Thanks for doing that.  Good location.  I sent you $10.

Do you suppose they’ll ever fix the bug that you can’t edit the first post of a thread? : )

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Since I’ll eventually get to a point where I can’t edit my original announcement, I’ll edit and post updates on the donations.

Edit: Aaaand we’re done taking donations.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks to three generous donors, the 2018 MBC collection plate has been retired.  Thanks Jerry, Michael, and Ken.

Anyone else who’d like to contribute, touch base a little closer to game day.  Locally sourced firewood (assuming no ban), community hand sanitizer, or family friendly brownies are always appreciated.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

GAAH! First week of September is my favorite long trek week..

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I just received official notice a few minutes ago that this campsite will be unavailable due to the fires in that area.  I’m unsure if the campground is still there or not.

Unfortunately this is the new normal for Washington and I’m no longer making plans beyond a week out for anything between late June and mid September as the fires and smoke can be touch and go this time of the year.

They are processing the refund and I’ll return the money to those who donated as soon as I can, hopefully by this weekend.

For those who are interested, I’m planning a return hike to Enchanted Valley ONP in September.  Since this does not require a reservation, it can be the same weekend or we can adjust it.  There is at least one fire burning on the peninsula so I’m remaining flexible with this plan and may just end up hiking a section of the coast.

Group size max in the National Park is 12.

Let me know.

Update, it looks like the campground is still there but they are canceling the reservation due to the threat of the Miriam fire.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Thanks for the update Ian. I was looking forward to the 2018 MBC, provided my schedule allowed that weekend.

What dates in September are you looking at for the Enchanted Valley? And are you planning any other destinations for that trip (such as the Anderson Pass, McNeil Pass and LaCrosse Pass loop)? Depending on how things look at the last minute (I’m on day-to-day planning this year), I may be able to join in.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The tentative plan would be to hike in Friday, leave Saturday open for exploring or whatever, and hiking out Sunday.

If memory serves, it’s a 12ish mile hike in but it’s very flat and an easy hike.

edit dates are flexible

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thank you Ian for the update.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

perhaps you should change the group name to the Smokey Butt Club….

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Likely more family friendly than “My @$$ is on Fire club.”

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Refunds have been processed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools