Topic

Packrafting Light?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packrafting Light?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

c

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

More like Backcountry Light … which gets no objection from this old snail.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I had a great conversation with a friend this morning in which he emailed me berating BPL over so much packrafting coverage. My first reponse to him went like this:

Stop and think for a few minutes what packrafting means to wilderness travel. Seriously consider that without negativity for a couple minutes and then get back to me.

He took me seriously, thought it over for a 1/2 hour and responded with:

…good point. I think most of us who appreciate wilderness and quiet-use recreation would view packrafting as a welcome addition to recreation on public lands. My main curiosity lies in wanting to understand how packrafting fits with BPL's mission and what rafting has to do with lightweight backpacking and why BPL continues to push packrafting?

He raised a legitimate point, and that was whether packrafting fits into BPLs mission statement. And although Jim didn't quote the mission statement, he did make a good analogy, backcountrylight. My response to my friend was as such:

My first opinion on the onslaught of packrafting info that hit BPL was the same as yours. I don't raft – I backpack. Upon closer inspection of the device as a means for silent travel however, all it really does is extend the distance into the backcountry we can travel under our own means.

And, as far as it fitting within BPL's mission, it is dead on. Our mission is:

"To promote multi-day, backcountry travel in a self-supported ("backpackable"), lightweight style."

…When it all comes down to it though, if you don't want to take a raft out into the woods or desert, so be it. And worry not, there will still be 80 or 90% backpacking articles on BPL – spring time just happens to be whitewater season so we're doing our part to introduce this up and coming sport to the masses.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Well said!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I totally agree Sam, and if it was in the budget I would go out and buy one today! For now everytime I pass a river in the BC, I think about floating down it.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I grew up whiterwater canoeing on MN and WI rivers and doing multi-day canoe trips into the BWCA or other waters. I never backpacked until I was an adult. For me, it was a natural progression of self-supported travel into the wilderness. The reason I love backpacking is intrinsically linked with why I love backcountry water travel (of which I still do at least a trip a year). I think Sam said it very well.

While I would love to see more editorial content on backpacking (seems to be kind of light lately), I don't have any problem with the occasional packrafting piece.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have no aversion to packrafting, in fact I hope to try it some day – just thought it was an interesting front page choice.

CM

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes- we've covered packrafting which is not backpacking. However, we have also covered snowshoes, backcountry skiing, even ultralight mountain bike touring.

I would agree, though, that we've had a lot of packrafting focus lately and while I enjoy that BackpackingLight has become a real packrafting resource, I look forward to more backpacking focus in upcoming weeks.

Then when I get into packrafting in the future, I'll be looking back at all of these new articles, videos, and podcasts!

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

And two of the packrafting features trying to upsell while an actual backpacking related article about rain mitts sits humbly in the list.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"And two of the packrafting features trying to upsell while an actual backpacking related article about rain mitts sits humbly in the list"

umm…
    Yes it is an additional income potential for BPL. Especially classes on how to do it.

G Foster McLachlan

@hunter13

Locale: NYS

Anything to do with packrafting I'm in. Articles, gear reviews, podcasts, videos, gear for sale -packrafting backpack??hint hint.

I can understand some points made regarding this being a "back"packingLight website-but again..it's also about wilderness travel, yes? And it's obvious to me that a natural step in it's evolution is the packraft. Those daring enough(and afford) to join in will see the possibilites unfold. I'm fraken psyched! Sorry for the gallactica pun.

Packrafting is where it's going, don't fight it.

BBL, I welcome your enthusiasm on the subject. Bring it!

Alex Maslov

@alexmaslov

There is a packraft available for about $270 from http://www.flyweightdesigns.com

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Packrafting provides the means of outdoor travel for those whom have disabling injuries which prevent them from backpacking.

Packrafting enables where there is simply no other opportunity to get outdoors and travel under one's own power.

This is why I bought Alpacka Rafts… Freedom! (o:

Packrafting brought me to BPL, not the other way round, so it is a two way path.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

BackPACK.
    PACK Rafting.

Oh… it's a specialty craft that is easy to pack… even in a back pack. Seems simple enough to me and fits right in with the pack rifle and Tenkara rods. None of these have to be used while backpacking but can easily be incorporated since they're some of the lightest options available to accomplish those tasks.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

It blends two of my passions and gets me to interesting places with less difficulty.
    I started backpacking in my teens, rafting in my 20's, and added kayaks in my 40's.
    At my age (late 50's now), if it wasn't "light" I wouldn't be doing it. I find it totally appropriate. :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm curious as to what the percentage of backpackers will actually go packrafting? I live in the six rivers area of CA and can see its appeal, but I wold think the percentage would be relatively small.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I finally received my Yukon Yak last week. It is awesome. Huge potential for cool trips here in Montana. Other places in the country have less profuse opportunities, but the Alpacka raft really is a paradigm shifting piece of gear.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools