Topic

2016 Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2016 Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

It looks like GG put some gusto into their packs, solving the sag issue between the belt and pack, larger hip belt pockets, etc.  Does anyone have the new version?  They are available to purchase.  There hasn’t been much chatter about it, and even GG hasn’t really pimped it.

The pack and belt weight combined goes up quite a bit.

GG Mariposa 60

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The new version of the Gorilla also has the upgraded hip belt and larger belt pockets. I ordered one the morning that the 2016 models went back into stock – it arrived a week ago Friday. So far I’ve done a few short (1 hour) hikes in the local park with 28 and 25 lbs, plus a 6 mile 2000′ vertical hike with 23 lbs total weight carried.

The pack’s weight on my scale is very close to the GG website’s updated 2016 specs: 31.8 oz for pack, belt and SitLight pad (pack: 19.0, belt: 8.4, stay: 2.4, pad: 2.0). While that’s heavier than the old 26 oz total wt spec., this pack carries 28 lbs pretty well, with no sagging of the frame or hip belt, even hiking downhill or hopping up and down. 23 lbs feels light and easy for this pack. With my JMT gear list packed into the pack, including 8 days of simulated food in a Bear Vault, there’s just enough room without putting much in the front pocket, though the over-the-top flap barely has room to be snapped closed. This is with no stuff sacks, other than the quilt.

The bottoms of the aluminum stay poke out of the back of the pack toward the bottom of the main compartment, then they slot into narrow channels in the hip belt. The hip belt has a layer of stiffening material (feels like plastic) just under the fabric, running from the back of the left belt pocket, around the back, ending at the back of the right belt pocket (as far as I can tell).

The hip belt pockets can easily fit half a dozen cliff bars each, though if they are really full, my arms brush against them when using trekking poles.

Overall I’m very happy with the pack’s features, comfort and how well it carries my max weight of 27-28 lbs. It could be a little lighter, but seems like the added weight was put to good use.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

GG pack weights grow by several ounces with every model update. The 2016 GG Mariposa is about double the weight of the Mariposa I bought in 2008. And most GG packs with lower weights are much smaller.

take more. do less.

— Rex

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, the Mariposa/Gorilla both have a major change in the suspension structure with the addition of the “stay”/HipBelt connection. this really abrogates the need for all the velcro on the pack/hip belt. But the pack has really grown in weight at about 2 pounds. It is no longer suitable for UL trips, but more in line with light weight trips.The change actually make the packs internal frame backpacks. I consider the dividing line between stays and internal frames the mounting point between the hip belt and the structural frame of a pack.

Older and lighter packs (Mariposa/Gorilla) with the stays can be modified easily by basically making a hot knife incision in the back of the pack to allow the ends to poke into the hip belt pockets purchased from GG. Reinforce the slot so it doesn’t tear at the fabric though.

Or, do a MYOG project. Using a seam ripper, remove all the velcro to mount the stay. Remove the velcro to mount the hip belt. Fold 4 pieces of wider webbing, stitching along each side. Add these to the inside, and add them to the hip belt. Then use a couple larger diameter arrow shafts as stays. Slip these into the slits and up into the webbing, using a drop or two of super glue to hold them in place. Then you can mount the belt onto the stays. (It also rolls up nice to make a pillow at night without the crossing piece.) It lightens the pack significantly, too.

The improvement in load carrying is dramatic. It easily carries 35pounds. Whereas the old unmodified Gorilla was painful at 25.

Andy H
    Spectator

@drewjamicks

Locale: Southwest

Hi James,

Possible to post a video for this? I’m looking to upgrade my 2015 Mariposa’s belt to the newer version. Thanks

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Not likely…reminds me I still have a set of pics to do for Roger one of these days. The pack was given to a friend because it was simply too big for my needs. I have to get another to do the mods again.

Anyway, play with it. The mods are never set in stone, just starting points for your own.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sadly, GG packs keep adding weight. Looks more and more like a Golite Jam to me. I have owned the much older models of the Mariposa and Murmur and, aside from the LT4 trekking poles and Nightlight Torso Pad, I no longer own or want any GG products. Too bad.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Edward, I agree. They are getting overly complex with all the bells and whistles. The older packs made with silnylon work well. I finally destroyed an old spinnaker G5 on a hike, but the sil version from about 10 years ago is still going strong. I still have and use the old MiniPosa as my main pack for longer trips. The new 2015/2016 Murmur is still my go to pack for anything up to a couple weeks. And at 12oz, it is a good weight. It carries better than the older G5 being quite a bit smaller. I am really not interested in anything over 2500ci. Even the Gorilla was too large for my needs.

Andy, if I get a chance, I will take some pics of the mods I did on the Gorilla.  I talked to him and set up a fishing trip in a few weeks up in the St. Regis Canoe area (NY.) Maybe I can get some pics then. ‘Corse, this was before they made the changes to the suspension at GG.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Gorilla stay mod (circa 2013).

I’m sure the plastic in the belt is at least in part to reduce concerns over point-pressure from the stays in the belt.  Given that GGear has multiple sub-pound packs, complaining about them finally evolving their load hauler to that logical end seems like mugwumpitude of the highest order.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thanks Dave. That was about what I did, too.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The heavier 2016 specs push the Gorilla and Mariposa outside of the mid 20 ounce range, narrowing the choices of 20 – 30 ounce framed packs on the market. And the new Gorilla does feel overly complex and beefy for UL trips.

That being said, the new Gorilla seems spot-on for folks who are pushing the lower end of LW or starting to edge into UL territory, especially with a bear canister and a week’s worth of food. I like the option to remove the stay, pad and hip belt to convert the Gorilla into a sub 20 ounce frameless pack. It also seems like a good complement to a GG Murmur or Zpacks Zero for lighter and/or shorter trips.

Dave N
    Spectator

@dnadig

I just ordered the 2016 Mariposa for my wife precisely because it seems to sit in a nice ‘shoulder’ space between 3 Pound “big load” packs an <20 oz. framelesss UL packs.  Because we’ll be going both with and without kids, we need flexibility in our setup.  Will let you all know what we think once it gets some trail time..

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lester- I think your assessment is right. I think Six Moons moved towards the LW pack market and GG is following suit. Maybe there is bigger volume and margins there. Wait, Golite’s Bankruptcy Trustee just called, he wants those Jam pack clones back!

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

I like the new additions to the pack but for the size I need, it puts it into the 40 ounce range.  My other gripe (first world problems, I know) is they don’t make a Mariposa in a smaller volume.  The number one thing I like about the Mariposa is the exterior pocket design.  I love the long tent pocket on one side, and the two pockets on the other.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Thomas, yes, I agree.

They used to make one, the MiniPosa. The long so-called tent pouch in the MiniPosa is still one of the things that keeps this pack in my stable. It fits my SVEA, fuel & fill cap, fishing rod, line & gear, 8×12 tarp and filler cap. A nice little pack at ~3000ci. They dropped it in favour of the Gorilla maybe 8 years ago. Mostly, it was made of silnylon and weighed about a pound (17z with two add-on waist pockets.)

Dave N
    Spectator

@dnadig

Hey there, promised to drop some impressions here after I got this out on the trail.  Just did two 15mish days on the AT (just an overnight). For reference, I’m NOT an experienced ounce-saving athlete like many of y’all seem to be: I’m a 50 year old guy getting back into the woods and trying to lighten my load as much as I can.  I got the Mariposa mostly because it seemed like a nice “bridge” backpack between frameless, Carbon & Cuben stuff, and my ancient 7 pound monster. Plus at $250 with easy returns, it seemed low risk.

By baseweight was 14-15ish pounds minus food and water.  I generally had a liter of water and 2 pounds of food, so it clocked in at 18 when I did the on-off bathroom scale test.

As for the pack: overall I *really* liked travelling with this pack. Specific positives:

• The arrangement of pockets seemed superb. I especially loved how easy dealing with a 1liter SmartWater botle was, how roomy the hip pockets are (holds an iPhone 6+ with room to spare!) and the big mesh outer pocket.  I was able to come up with a good system to get all my gear in good places and never felt like anything was going to bounce out, even when jogging.  I also loved the huge long side pocket.  It holds a tenkara rod firmly in place, along with other gear along side it.  THe top pocket is mostly useless — i kept my very small first aid kit (whcih is basically flat) in it.
    • Hip bet was super comfortable, and overall the suspension felt like it really effectively transfered weight right down to the middle of my back well.  With the shouter/load lifters a bit loose, it felt “all in the hops” like an old external frame back.  Snugged in, it felt like a frameless pack, with no shifting at all.
    • The back pad could get a little sweaty at times, but not badly so.  Easily managed buy shifting the upper strap tension now and then.
    • The pack is larger than it probably needs to be for this weight, but it allowed me to be a bit sloppy in packing.  I was trying out a DIY hammock pad made from 1/4 inch cross-link foam which was too bit rolled up to go inside — went right on top without any issue.  I did make static-line compression zig-zags (not included, but available) and it really pulled everythign in nicely.

So in short, while I’m hardly an UL expert I feel like this is a great transition pack. It will get used both by me, and by my daughter when we go (i’ll be stuck in an old pack) as it fits is both.  She’s 5 6, im 5 10, its a medium.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

The selling point of the Mariposa was it’s sub 2lb weight with a price that didn’t come with selling a kidney on the black market.  For the size I need, the new Mariposa will weigh 39.6 ounces.  I have 3 packs that fall in that area that are proven. I’m going to stick with my Katabatic Gear Helios which weighs a 1/2 pound lighter.

Dave N
    Spectator

@dnadig

Sure, if you’ve already got three packs with similar specks, I’m not sure why you’d even be looking. In looking at all the available options, I see this as a pretty “traditional” pack that just happens to be 35 ounces (what mine clocked in at). I wasn’t ready to make to jump to giving up various locked and bladder sleeves and haven’t a roll top Etc.  not judging, just saying coming from big heavy overweight packs, it’s a good fit for me. I’m not at the point where the “omg 3oz over 2 pounds” is a killer for me. I suppose if it was I’d ditch the compression straps and cut out the bladder and bear loops and probably be right there.

That katabattic looks cool. Do you have it in Cuben or nylon?

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Dave- I have it in cuben.  It is a really well crafted pack.

Dave N
    Spectator

@dnadig

Sweet.  I haven’t invested in any Cuben stuff (other than a food bag).  How careful do you have to be with rocks and sticks and such abrading/poking it?

Richard Leader
    BPL Member

@r-bones

After having an excellent review by Outdoor Gear Lab and a “Guide’s gear award” in 2015 I was very surprised that the Mariposa had such a significant weight gain for 2016.  There are still some clearance 2015 packs on their site (small only) but the specs are there:

Weight

Small: 27.5 oz ( 751 g. ) Average Total for all items included

Medium: 29.1 oz. (825 g.)  Average Total for all items included

Large: 29.6 oz. (839 g.)  Average Total for all items included

X-Large 32.8 oz (929 g.) Average Total for all items included

Compared to 2016:
    Average Weight (pack, stay and pad)
    Small: 22.7 oz / 644 g

Medium: 29.1 oz / 825 g

Large: 29.6 oz / 839 g

X-Large: 32.8 oz / 929 g
    Average Weight Hipbelt
    X-Small: 4.2 oz / 120 g

Small: 5.6 oz / 159 g

Medium: 6.3 oz / 178 g

Large: 7.0 oz / 198 g

X-Large: 7.5 oz / 213 g

Somehow the 2016 Mariposa in large without the hipbelt weighs exactly the same as the 2015 Mariposa including the belt.  I’m not sure the stats on the website are correct, they still describe the pack as “all for under 2 lbs.”  I sent an email to gossamer gear and received this reply:

“The 2016 pack has gained the weight from a denser sit pad and stiffer hipbelt with larger pockets.”

I may need to ask them for a little more detailed information.

I am still using a pre-2011 version of the Mariposa and really like it, but am dissapointed that if I ever need a new one I might have to accept an extra 7 ounces.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

@tomw The Helios is lighter than the Mariposa because it’s smaller. It’s best compared again the Gorilla (30.6oz) which is the same capacity and lighter than even the Cuben version of the Helios (31oz) never mind the non Cuben version at 35oz… The new GG packs appear to have excellent enhancements and appear as light or lighter than anything else on the market in the same class.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Michael- the sizing isn’t really that different. My Helios 55 goes to up to 63L for my large. The GG Mariposa is 60L for a medium, so the difference isn’t enough to create an 8 ounce difference in weight (if there’s any difference at all).

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Thomas, I didn’t see the 55 was the model you were referring to. Still the manufacturers numbers are different than what you are quoting:

• Helios 55 Cuben M – 32.3oz
    • Mariposa M – 35.3

A 3oz difference unmodded.

The non cuben Helios 55 is 38oz making it heavier by 3oz…

My point really is there appears to be a lot of slag thrown at GG in this thread re how “heavy” their packs have gotten, I suspect thats true for these particular models but then if one is looking for a very basic UL pack there are lots of those around (including from GG) for my own sake and others I just wanted to see some evidence that their packs really are heavier than a comparably featured model from another manufacturer… I’ve looked as I am in the market for a smaller pack and with the exception of the Arc series can’t find one, I’ve also looked at a similarly featured custom built Zimmerbuilt and it would not be any lighter …

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Michael- my Helios comes under spec at 32.0 ounces on my scale.

For the equivalent GG Mariposa, according to their website, I would need an XL pack and L hip belt. 32.8oz + 7oz = 39.8oz giving me 7.8oz  more in weight than my Helios 55. In the UL world, that is a considerable weight difference.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools