Topic

2.9 oz thermal mug and cup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2.9 oz thermal mug and cup

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Bob E
    BPL Member

@bobellenberg

We use an alcohol stove with a Caldera Cone from Trail Designs https://www.traildesigns.com/products/caldera-cone-system.  However, it is our DIY thermal mugs that only weigh 2.9 oz. that really conserve the fuel by cooking efficiently with boiling water and keeping the food warm for a long period of time as we relax and eat.  We find they are very efficient for true thermos cooking.  The same would be true if we used other types of stoves as well.

I have read a number of references to thermos cooking on forum discussions and it is simply very efficient “cozy” cooking but I will regress a little for those who are not very familiar with it.  We used to avoid all foods that required any amount of simmering or cooking time (say 15-45 minutes) and only took “instant” (5 minutes or less) cooking time foods.  We would put them in our old thermal mugs and let them sit for longer periods of time until they were sufficiently cooked and thereby again minimized our cooking time where fuel was being used.  However, we now have very efficient thermoses that are very light weight and use foods that call for up to 45 minutes of simmer cooking.  It of course takes longer in the thermos compared to keeping it over the stove but we start the meal and let it sit in the thermos while doing other camp chores and then relax to a very hot and delicious meal.

Thermos construction.  We are aware that many today use Reflectix but we know the slightly heavier closed cell foam is far superior in R-value, can create a better seal and is worth the little extra weight.

We started with the powdered Countrytime lemonade containers that have the tapered pour spouts inside the screw top. You start by cutting the spout off, carefully leaving the rolled lip at the top of the threads so you are not putting your mouth on a sharp edge when drinking from it. This is not a new idea as we gleaned this from a light weight backpacking site several years ago. Next we take a permanent marker and put a one cup mark inside the main cup and a half cup mark inside the lid (which doubles as a sipping cup sometimes).  Next we made snug thick cozies from ½” closed cell foam (an exercise mat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW97F6T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This particular one is very firm so it holds it shape well and is black so it doesn’t show coffee stains, etc.   Y don’t bring the sides up all the way as the insulation will be right where you lips go when drinking from it (morning coffee).

Cut 4 pieces of foam:  a piece 3” x 14 7/8”; 2”x14 7/8” and 2 disks 4 5/8” in diameter.  I marked the dimensions out very carefully with a ball point pen and found kitchen scissors easily cut the material though the round disk had to be cut it short strokes as the scissors mash the foam as it cuts so it can be hard to follow your lines.  You will assemble with a hot glue gun which can not only be messy but you can easily burn yourself while fitting pieces together (ask me how I know!).  Take a couple of rubber bands to hold the strips in a circle (you have to experiment to find ones that don’t crimp it too tight but hold the two ends firmly together so it forms a nice round circle.  I then put a thin piece of plastic on the outside at the joint (under the rubber bands) so that any seeping glue would not stick to the rubber bands.  I then pushed the butting ends inward slightly to expose them and reached inside the circle with the glue gun to spread a thick bead of glue, pushed it back into the circle and then let it cool completely.  Do the same thing for the 1 ½” strip.  If you have a lot of excess glue you can both peel and/or cut it off.  You are better off having excess glue to clean up than not having a full bond where the joints may later tear loose.

Check the fit but if you make the strips exactly 14 7/8”, the container and the lid should fit in snugly.  Next you want to glue the disks on each of the circular pieces.  Since the glue is messy and hot and you need some pressure, do the following:  cover the lid and the container with plastic food wrap and then slide them into the circular pieces.   Run a bead of glue around the perimeter of the disk and mate it to the side wall pieces.  Some glue should squeeze out and use a slight weight to hold them firmly in place until it cools.  You can then trim off excess glue on the outside with the scissors.  If any excess squeezed inside, the plastic wrap will have kept it from sticking to your container.

You will now find it difficult to remove the container as it forms a suction (the lid will not be a problem as it is much shorter).  Once you get the insulator off of the container, use a small knife blade cut a triangle hole in the bottom and you will find it can be removed much easier.

We also made nylon strap handles similar to what you see on the Jetboil and glued them in a loop with a short supporting piece at the top so the handle doesn’t pull away and the cup sag when the cup is full (heavy).  The exercise mat comes with a nylon strap handle and that is what we used.  The top insulator is long enough to extend down and contact the side insulation when the lid is screwed on.  With the lid screwed on, the two cozy pieces mate making a very well sealed and efficient thermos that weighs only 2.9 oz. with the cup.  Even with foam that is ½” thick (much more than most) these are pretty light weight, easy to hold with the strap and a thick, tight fitting cozy makes them perform nearly as well as a commercial thermos bottle. We use them for eating mugs, holding the cozy top between two fingers, setting it on top between mouthfuls and we find our food stays very hot to the last bite.

Some would say using only the titanium pot for what you both cook and eat in weighs less but we think we save enough fuel to make up the weight and our coffee and dinners stay hot for a very long time.  If you are traveling solo you could have a cozy for the pot but the lemonade container weighs almost nothing and getting a snug fitting cozy on a hot pot is sometimes difficult (we know–we did that for a long time).

For a performance test we put 1 cup of boiling water in and it was still 165 degrees after 20 minutes (too hot to eat).

One variation is when we use the thermos lid for a drinking container with our meal in the thermos.  We slip the cozy off of the lid when we are ready to eat, still using it between bites to cover and keep the food hot, but the lid is just the right size for a small drinking cup.  We also use a disposable cup from Southwest Airlines as a main drinking cup as it fits right in the lid of the container.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That.  Is.  Awesome.  I have a new project :)  Thanks for sharing.

Just to make certain is this the container you used?

Bob E
    BPL Member

@bobellenberg

Yes

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good first post.  Thermos cooking sounds exactly like freezer bag cooking, but with a rigid container.   Many, many recipes.

So you don’t mind doing dishes?

MTN
    BPL Member

@madscot

Locale: PNW

I can’t wait to try this out. I’ve found a lot of foods that we would usually keep at a boil do great with bringing to a boil adding the ingredients and then placing the container in coozy. My coozy is neoprene but this looks much warmer. Has anybody tried the blue closed cell foam? I have some laying around. I might practice w that first.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That was my first eating container back in 2003 when mentioned by Brawny of Dancing Light Gear.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I did several tests putting 2 cups of boiling water in a Ziploc-style one quart food storage container with Reflectix insulation (2.5 oz), air temperature 74°F. Average digital thermometer reading was 181°F at 30 minutes and 151°F at 60 minutes.

@bobellenberg
    : Do you know what the air temperature was when you did your test?

I suppose the biggest difference is two cups of boiling water instead of one cup, though I suppose the thickness and type of plastic used for the container might be a factor.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I had gone through several design iterations of MYOG Reflectix cozies and was never really happy with the performance.  I made one of these shortly after the original post and it has been a revelation.  It is perfect for drinking your coffee in the morning.  If you primarily do FBC hydration, this has kept my food far too hot to eat for well over 30 minutes.  It also does a great job of holding the bag making it very easy to eat out AND without burning your hands. It it ever fails, and it’s hard to imagine how that would happen, I will make another.

The only thing it does not do well is pack small…it consumes the same amount of space at all times.  This can be (mostly) mitigated by packing things inside.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I need to give this a try. Have some blue foam sitting around waiting for scissors to turn it into something useful.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@bobellenberg: Please forgive my appalling lack of social skills. Nice work. Creative, inexpensive, practical.

I was intrigued by your comment: “We are aware that many today use Reflectix but we know the slightly heavier closed cell foam is far superior in R-value, can create a better seal and is worth the little extra weight.”

I’ve been using Reflectix for years and always thought it worked well, but I’m always willing to try something new if it might work better. So I made three mugs with cozies: one from an 8mm lightweight CCF yoga/sleep mat; one from a 12mm shinier CCF pad (this CCF looks like what I have often seen used as cushioning material in packages); and one from Reflectix. I made these while I was camping so I used duct tape instead of hot glue.

(L-R) 0.95 oz, 1.48 oz, 1.09 oz

Poured 2 cups of boiling water into each and took the Centigrade temperature of the water at 30, 60, and 90 minutes:

Thin blue: 78, 66, 57

Thick blue: 79, 69, 60

Reflectix: 80, 70, 61

The results surprised me. Interesting.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m very surprised…particularly so given it is the opposite of my experience wherein in the (thin blue) foam resoundingly trounced the reflectix. Nice to see it was also slightly lighter…would not have expected that either.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I agree – surprising. No doubt there are numerous different blue CCF mats with different materials and characteristics (such as percentage of bubbles by volume, size of bubbles). I’ll speculate that was a factor in the results.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yes, it is very unlikely that the foam you used can reliably be compared to that which I used…there are so many different types out there.  Here are some photos of my construction.  Mine weighs 58.4 g , about 0.5 oz heavier than your “thick blue foam”.  The increased density might explain the performance difference.

Did you test with the plastic container inside or just the foam?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

How about THIS .

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@annapurna: Interesting. I wonder if the reflective material would make a difference. Also curious about the effect of reflective on inside vs. outside.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That is what I was thinking about, now I think it is your duty to find out :)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@annapurna: I’ll split it with you. You buy, I’ll test and send you the mat and the mug afterwards.

Bob E
    BPL Member

@bobellenberg

The foil faced mat looks good.  You would put the foil side in so it reflects the heat back to the mug.  I’ll bet it will be slightly lighter than mine and maybe perform even better.  Yes it is bulky but I pack things inside.  To me it is worth washing the mug to have a firm container to eat from, set down, not spill, etc.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

David, I already own one of those mats because they use to sell them at my local Goodwill for $7

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

There’s one close by. I’ll take a look.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

for pipe insulation, there is a term called the critical thickness to optimize insulation.  As the outside diameter gets larger, the surface area also increases and you tend to lose insulation effectiveness.

Critical thickness

https://www.nuclear-power.net/nuclear-engineering/heat-transfer/thermal-conduction/critical-thickness-of-insulation-critical-radius/

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Interesting. I had forgotten about that since the last time I designed a nuclear reactor…

Anyone have ideas/knowledge of the material with the best R to thickness to weight ratios for an application like this?

We are SUCH nerds.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Has anyone investigated 2 layers of relectix separated by a thin spacer mesh to maintain a small air gap?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@pastyj-2-2: I could try that. Any suggestions for mesh?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Obviously we’d want the lightest spacer possible, but I was imagining something like cross-stitch fabric. Reflectix says a double layer is effective if a small air space is maintained between.

Or something like this ?

Might need to check my local fabric or craft shops.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools