Topic

Cocoon 2009 arrival?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Cocoon 2009 arrival?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

When are the Cocoon 2009 items scheduled to arrive in the BPL shop?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The Cocoon Line is still in development and on the verge of entering production. It is too early to set a date on it's availability.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

That sounds like it will arrive too late for most of this year's hikers.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Bob-

Guess that depends. We're on the tail end of this Winter and the next doesn't start till Dec. Plenty of time to make that deadline. Hehe.

-Chris

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Where is it written that the Cocoon line is only for winter? Most through-hikers carry some form of insulating layer; how much depends on where they're going.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Liek I said above…it all depends. I use insulation 4 months a year tops. I even carried jacket and pants on WT3 and barely used the jacket while the pants never left my pack. That was far more extreme weather than I'll likely ever face in my usual areas.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Sam,

Can you tell us what insulation Ryan decided to go with?

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Bill,

We have an insulation picked out but there are still details to sort out. Rather than announce this and then change our mind I'm going to keep mum right now.

– Sam

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have some gear buying deadlines coming up and would like to know about dates for the Cocoon goodies. Anymore info?

Thanks

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

These are not in production yet.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Any updates on when the new cocoon line will be ready? I'm hoping hoodies also come in stock because I missed getting one the first go round.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I had one and then sold it, yes I did, regret it now.

I placed my WTB in the Gear Swap but no responses. I have been looking for a hoodless large for a few months now.

I would like at least a hint when they might be available. If its gonna be the end of June that is one thing but if its gonna be October it would be nice to know.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

They will not be ready by the end of June. They are still not in production yet. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

James Gealy

@surnailz

Locale: White Mountains

Well, it's now the beginning of July and I have not seen any word on the new Cocoon line. I am *very* interested in these items and would like to be able to use them for this summer/early-fall. As so many have asked before, is there any word when they will be available for (pre)purchase?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

There is no more information regarding the Cocoon line at this time.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Hey I thought this new administration was gonna be all about transparency! This sounds like more Bush era question dodging.

James Gealy

@surnailz

Bush Era indeed! Well, I've been waiting for a while because I know that the cocoon jackets are the best around for the weight. Are there any 'second best' options out there?

-jim

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I stopped waiting around when I found a Montbell Thermawrap parka 20%-off in the spring. It is a good alternative and has been in stock at Montbell everytime I've looked.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

+1 for thermawrap parka, I dig mine.

Ian Luschin

@iluschin

Locale: Ohio/PA

I bought the thermawrap parka rather than the Cocoon hooded pullover a couple of years ago. I thought it was a better value, and there were no availability issues. The hand warmer pockets are a big advantage to the thermawrap over the Cocoon for me. I find pockets better than gloves for keeping my hands warm when in camp.

On the other hand, I don't need the full zip, and I suspect the Cocoon is a little bit warmer. However, I might pick the thermawrap over the Cocoon even if it was actually possible to buy the Cocoon.

Patrick Caulder
    BPL Member

@pcaulder

Locale: SouthEast

I'm thinking about just sewing either a Kinnsman or Kennebec from Thru-hiker.

James Gealy

@surnailz

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Thermawrap. It's on sale right now at ProLite for $137 which is a good deal I think. Even if the Cocoon was available right now, I think that the $60 or so in savings is well worth it. Are there any other alternatives to a hooded insulating layer or is the Montbell the top one. I know I've been looking and haven't seen any others.

Can someone tell me what the sizing is on the Thermawrap? I own one of their wind shells from a few years back and it's a medium and fits well on me over a base layer. I was thinking of going with the medium in this case as well. I know that I would be wearing it mostly for 3 season use over a BPL Merino Hoody, that same wind shell (or possibly a Houdini), and *maybe* a 100wt fleece.

-jim

p.s. Sorry to hijack this thread but I really need an insulating layer and I can't keep waiting!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Look at the Patagonia Micropuff line; available as a vest, jacket, and parka.

I have one of each.

James Gealy

@surnailz

I've looked at the Micropuff but from what I've seen it's 21oz as opposed to the ~12oz Thermawrap. That's a sizable difference!

-jim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

The Micropuff line is indeed heavier but mostly due to more insulation.

Micropuff = roughly 100 g insulation vs 50 g in the Thermawrap vest and jacket and 80 g in the Thermawrap parka

I don't know the CLO of the MontBell insulation but even if it's as good as PL One the Micropuff is going to be warmer.

With that said, the Paty stuff would be too warm for me in the majority of conditions.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools