Topic

Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney’s Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney’s Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I just don't know what to say.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

…often comes at the princely price of one's sanity.

Bravo!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I just don't know what to say.

I do …
    but I can't…

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

[tears of laughter running down my face]

No way I can let my family see this article, they'll want to know where I found someone to write that article for me.

I DID almost end up in the hospital after my first return to backpacking trip eight years ago (subtitled "The Pack Mule at age 50")

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

This was an excellent article. A new monthly column?

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I think this came a bit early – the first of April is still a few months off.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm speechless too.

Sigmund Freud

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

WOW!

Another speechless reader.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Let me understand this.

Did the author of this article just write an essay documenting for the world a declaration that he has funded all of his backpacking purchases with counterfeit money from a printing press built by his relative???

Judi Henson

@ritzhenson

Locale: The Deep South

That's what it sounds like to me…So, where does your Grasshopper Uncle live again?

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Tony and Judith, I can't say I pretend to understand economic theory, but my uncle explains that the Treasury Dept actually (tacitly) encourages what they call the "orderly entrepreneurial enhancement of the monetary supply". What they object to is sudden, dislocating currency infusions. So, for example, when I suggested to him that we might let everyone at BPL use the machine, he explained (with a stiff left hook) "Now that would be getting greedy, wouldn't it?" The orderly, low key use of his machine stimulates the economy and saves the treasury dept the cost of printing and distributing extra currency. After all, my uncle says, where do I think the money for the current economic stimulus packages is going to come from?

David Gore
    BPL Member

@davgor

Locale: Central CA Coast

Thanks BPL editorial staff for printing the funniest thing I've read all day. Its style reminds me of books authored by Tom Robbins, whose paperbacks have on occasion gone into my pack. In all cases, well done, Mr. Sweeney.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Tony, I'm confused too.

The accountant here is still trying to figure out if we have to report Jim's purchases as … legal sales … to the IRS …!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

There is a lot to think about in his article and then agian there is not. SPOOF!! UL is a waste of time-Right!!

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Will there be a sequel on April 1st?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

ROTFL!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Hard to believe this article wasn't listed as members only. To think I skipped over the Cowboy Coffee article for this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools