Topic

Tarptent Sublite Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Sublite Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Good on you Henry! Continuous improvement.

Cheers

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I ordered and received the Tyvek version due to its lightweight and breathability. Here are my thoughts on a "porch". Why not take a lightweight tarp and set that up over the entrance? Wouldn't that work, using trekking poles to suspend the tarp, on the outer corners of the tarp?

Christopher Smith

@schmitty

What strength / durability differences between the tyvek and the silnylon? I am very interested in the sublite and trying to decide what would be my best choice. Most of my outings are four season in the Sierras. which of these two would be the most appropriate for my conditions and have the best durability and strength? Are either of these tents weather proof enough to use in most weather conditions with a down bag or would a bivy sack in conjunction with the tent be recommended for wet conditions?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

IMO if I was planning to use the Sublite as an all season, do everything, shelter I would go with the silnylon version. If the Sublite use was limited to three season trips only I would select the tyvek model.

Tom Bender

@shovelman

Locale: Out East, sort of

Is Tyvek only possible in white?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Yes, from the manufacturer. Tyvek will take a dye so you can stain it if you wish.

-H

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Make a pink sublite, LL Bean would be all over it.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Henry, if you're still looking for input on the Tyvek version, I would like to see the front window/vent be enlarged to match the size found in the Silnylon version. That way you can have views out the front (plus looking up)without adding a screen to the side entrance.

Tom Bender

@shovelman

Locale: Out East, sort of

Are the side vents closable? A problem with a lot of tents is that they get fine sand blown in during the day in the desert.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I hope folks are still looking at this thread. I received my Tyvek Sublite a few weeks ago and was able to test it's breatheability for the first time on the coast north of Bodega Bay. The weather was clear, cool, humid and mostly windless.

The tent set up very easily using my LuxuryLite Trail Sticks trekking poles. I used a short piece of spectra core line, and a found stick, to make a toggle to attach the tent to the hand loops on the poles. The ground was fairly flat and it was easy to get a nice taut pitch.

The tent is everything Henry advertised. I had packed for an overnight backpacking trip and the tent is roomy with plenty of room for me and all my gear. The only things left outside were my shoes and LuxuryLite pack frame.

I woke several times during the night and checked for condensation. There was never a hint of dampness and I look forward to more testing in more difficult conditions.

When I ordered the tent I also ordered the optional aluminum poles, to be used in lieu of trekking poles. When pitching the tent with the optional poles, if I moved the pole tips away from the tent to the maximum allowed by the tent configuration, I noticed that the optional poles deflected in a sag curve when I tried to get the same taut pitch I was able to achieve with the trekking poles. If the pole tips were moved inboard the curve disappeared but the pitch was "soft" and not taut. This loose pitch would be a problem in windy conditions. I fiddled with this for a while and found that the optional poles sagged less if I only used the (EDIT "lower") Velcro pole "clips". I need to play with this system to see if I can get it to work in a "looking good" pitch.

Having to get in and out of the tent several times during the night, I noted a modification that might be worth some thought. The silnylon tent floor, and the bug screen between the silnylon and the tent door, are both black. In the dark you can't tell the difference. Especially wearing heavy socks. Several times I stepped on the netting by mistake. This is liable to degrade the netting and allow infiltration of "creepy crawlies". I would suggest the netting along the bottom of the door be replaced, either with Tyvek or by extending the floor material out to the door zipper.

I would also like to see a few small tie-out loops be added to the inside of the tent to allow for hanging a flashlight and, in my particular case, a place to hang my glasses. In making Tyvek ground cloths for this tent, and my Evolution 2P, my experience with Tyvek and Tyvek Tape has shown me the ruggedness of this material. I will probably fit my Sublite with a few tie out loops

In the rear view photo, posted in Will's review above, there appears to be a tieout, on the edge of the tent body, mid way between the trekking pole and the foot of the tent. On the top view photo I think I can see the same tieout loop. This feature is missing from the production model tent and might be useful in windy conditions. I would also like to see an optional bug screen door, so you could have more ventilation for those no-available-shade-pitched-in-the-hot-sun afternoon naps. If it clouded up you could reach out and close the Tyvek door. Snug as a bug. I really like this tent.

Here are a few photos:
    Tarptent Sublite door side
    Tarptent Sublite door side view
    Tarptent Sublite back side view
    Tarptent Sublite back side view
    Tarptent Sublite front view
    Tarptent Sublite front view
    Tarptent Sublite rear view
    Tarptent Sublite rear view
    Tarptent Sublite pole detail
    Tarptent Sublite pole attachment detail (excuse blurry cell phone photo)

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

All,

Just a quick note to say that the next version of the Sublite (Tyvek) will have a separate mesh door. The new production run will finish up in the next couple of weeks.

Henry

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Henry,
    When might we place an order for the new Sublite version (with bug screen)?

John Carter

@jcarter1

I had a thought about the Sublite Tyvek in heavy rain. If one were to take a GG polycro ground cloth and duct tape it to the inside roof, directly over the sleeping bag area, would that adequately protect from drips? It would only be an emergency setup, but it might add that extra bit of confidence in the event of an unexpectedly strong storm. It would also give the polycro dual use as groundsheet/double wall inner. Any thoughts?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Sure, sounds feasible to me. A better way to attach would be to use the included glue to attach some velcro patches or hooks in strategic places. The ground cloth can then temporarily attached as/if necessary. Always happy to provide bits of scrap fabric, notions etc.

-H

John Carter

@jcarter1

Very cool, thanks for the response! I like the velcro/hook idea; that way the ground cloth could be kept up against the apex.

George L Privett

@gprivett

Locale: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

The tent seems to handle "light" snow reasonably well. Check out these photos.

http://bushwalk-tasmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1484

George

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

They were posted here on BPL some time ago…!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Thanks George- I hadn't seen these!

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Doug and others, too….

As I mentioned in my original thread, I sent the Sublite Sil back to Henry for inspection and repair. He determined at that time to change the connecting material from a 3/4" length to a 1 1/2" length. This will increase the strength of that point at least double what it was. In addition, all future Sublites were going to have that change made. I believe that the change will make the Sublite fully capable of handling a really significant snowload.

Link to original post/test:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17449

Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

I second redleader's question: How soon can I put in an order for a tyvek sublite with a bug screen because that would be my version of the perfect shelter at the height of bug season.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Looks like they're on the web page now.

Justin Marney
    BPL Member

@gotascii

Locale: Shenandoah

And the order has been placed! Wicked. I'll post some photos as soon as its here.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Joe,

What's up? I looked on the website and just see the "old" version.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Denis, if you go to the order page it mentions the zippered mesh door.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

>What's up? I looked on the website and just see the "old" version.

No updated photos yet but we did update the specs–door adds just over an ounce. Same price (for now, anyway). The two changes from the prior version are the separate zippered mesh door and the larger apex clip to better spread the load in case of snow.

-H

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools