Topic

Tarptent Sublite Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Sublite Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

This video was just added. Enjoy the tour!
    Warmly,
    Addie

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Addie, did you mean to post a link? Where would we find the video tour?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

James,
    Click on the link to the Sublite Review and pan down.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Forgot about this thread.
    I have the Sublite Tivek with mesh door. The door looks exactly like in the sil version.
    I forgot to take any pics of the door itself but you can see the zip in this shot.
    As mentioned in another thread it handles condensation very well, in fact as the Scarp fly was wet outside and under the top inside, the Sublite remained dry apart from a small area at the apex where it felt damp but not wet. It also protects very well from the hot sun giving (fully zipped up, both doors) the same temperature inside as in the shade outside at 39 c (102 f). It took a decent amount of rain over two days still remained dry inside. Having both the bottom vent and the Tyvek door open it feels pretty airy and not claustrophobic at all as I sort of expected.
    Pretty easy to set up, not as fast as the Contrail (for me) but should be easier for most. And yes, I can see how the Sil version can be a 3.5 type shelter.
    Franco
    Sublite inside

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

To anyone who has experience with the SubLite, I have a question:

How does it work with baskets on the trekking poles? Do the baskets get in the way of the apex attachment? Do they need to be removed to "thread" the poles during set up?

Thanks!

-Mike

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

IMHO it would probably require removal of the baskets. If the baskets were in place they might push into the Tyvek and possibly cause abrasion.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

From the Sublite page on the TT site :
    Sublite pole baskets

From memory I had the snow baskets on my BD when I first tried that (wider than the one in this pic) , but cannot find pictures of it at the moment.

The fly is connected to the poles via hook and loop,you just need to insert the tips into the two apex "pockets"

Franco

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Cool! Thanks.

The snow baskets on my poles are very hard to remove, but it looks like it should work just fine. :)

-Mike

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Mike,

I have set my Sublite up with both GG Lightrek 4's & REI Peak UL's (Komperdell)with the baskets attached & have had no problems with them even in strong winds. The baskets do not touch the Tyvek.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

This was my thought too. If you want those features and expect to wander into continuous heavy rain just carry an extra small square tarp. Set it up in a flying triangle and enjoy a very large vestibule and extra rain protection over the lower body of the tent also.

An extra tarp adds a lot of versatility and if you have a long known relatively dry trip you just leave it at home. A silnylon 6'x6' tarp would probably work. That with guy lines and a few extra stakes is around 8-9oz. That still keeps your overall weight to around 28oz. which is excellent considering the versatility.

I think I just talked myself into it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Or buy a Moment for the same weight as a Sublite and small tarp.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Plenty of ways to skin a cat. I guess I fret over condensation more than I do rain. I've yet to have either actually cause me serious grief so I'm not sure why I worry about it.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Ok… I've moved on this idea. Henry sent me the Sublite in Tyvek pronto so I already have that and after getting some measurements and cutting a prototype tarp from plastic I ordered a custom 6'x6' square flat Cuben tarp from Joe at ZPacks. Weight on my Sublite with stuff-sack & tent pegs is 20.4 oz. I don't have the tarp yet but based upon Joe's weights for his larger tarps, it should be 3oz or less. Stakes and guy lines add another 2 oz at most. Total weight of the system should fall in the 25-26oz. range.

Total Cost… $179 for the Sublite & $95 for the 6×6 tarp from Joe which puts it in the range of most premium solo tents.

Benefits:

*Basically a hybrid double wall tent design that is really flexible due to the use of a simple flat tarp for optional outer.
    *Should provide excellent rain protection with the extra tarp covering the body of the Tyvek tent. The mostly vertical portion is exposed by the head so water should sheet off easily and even if there is penetration it is at the head of the tent not on your down bag.
    *Huge vestibule area with adjustable height for cooking in good or bad weather.
    *Very breathable condensation resistant inner that is usable on it's own in good conditions. Leave the tarp behind if you have known good weather.
    *Full-rain coverage for door.
    *Neither material will stretch like silnylon.
    *Quick easy pitch without the need for trees.
    *Pitch in the rain without getting inside of tent wet.
    *Tarp on it's own is an emergency shelter or can be used for other treks with different tents.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

I'll update this as time goes on for the sake of others looking to purchase the tent.

I have the tent and at this point have only set it up for seam sealing. First impression is that the size is perfect. The area inside the tent is perfectly sized, not too large, not too small. The area at the foot is more than sufficient to keep my bag from brushing against a wall. The front is perfectly proportioned for easy sitting up and changing clothing without resorting to contortions. I'd say that dimensionally Henry nailed this one for solo use.

I played around with various ways to tighten the pitch thinking of possibly adding a tie-down on the sides but with experimentation came to the conclusion that Henry has already done a good job. There are two spots on the side that allow you to stake out the sides which may give a more taught pitch and I think that is more than sufficient for the design envelope of the product. I'm adding some glue to the main support… top and bottom because the entire tent is supported from this one location. Glue on both inside and outside seams in this area.

I'm replacing the Easton stakes with my own Titanium ones and/or MSR ground hogs. I'll carry some of each because in some locations the ground hogs are tough to beat.

I have yet to receive the tarp. Once I have that and we get some good weather I'll update with some photos and weights. Then once again I'll update this over the year as I use the system.

William Moon
    BPL Member

@moon

Locale: Central Utah

This will probably sound like a dumb question but where would be the best place to put a pack inside the Sublite to keep it dry without it touching the sides of the tent?

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

William,
    I put my empty pack under my sleeping pad at about the level of my knees.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools