Topic

A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Tony,

That was a fantastic article. I look forward to meeting you in Point Reyes later this month. By the way, what co-op where you at and when? I was at Cloyne from 96 to 97 and it's where I met my wife.

Casey

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Awesome Tony! "High Five" Hope to see Ya at Pt. Reyes-
    What about breakfast at Hub Caps in Walnut Creek on 1/24 then maybe carpool to the trailhead? Just a thought.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Love to hear the transformation stories! I too am looking forward to seeing you at Point Reyes,18 days.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Tony,
    Great stuff! Brought back many memories of a pack so heavy I used to prop it up against a tree so i could wrestle it onto my back!
    Keep up the great trip reports,
    Cheers.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Great story, mine is very similar. I think the first time I went out I carried 2-3 fleece tops b/c I could not decide which to take!!! Luckily I have been cured of my demon's from that trip.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Very nice. Glad I didn't send my story in now. Maybe if I got Tony to ghost write it for me………….

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Tony: Great article, and not just because you mention me in the article. :) It is very well written too! As you know, I've been going through the same lightweight transformation and it's been fun having you to bounce ideas off as we get lighter and lighter. I look forward to many more longer and lighter trips.
    -Jeremy.

Ps. Oh yeah, and Jay, I'm up for a carpool and Hubcaps for breakfast for the 24th. I'm sure Tony will be up for it too.

WV Hiker

@vdeal

Locale: West Virginia

The best lines in this article were:

"It is not about the number of miles I travel. It is about the spectacular things I witness in nature, sights that humble me with their raw power and beauty. It's about time on the trail with friends and family, learning about each other and ourselves – and sharing experiences that inspire new journeys to be taken in the future."

That says it all.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Very nice article Tony. I really enjoyed reading this! I think most of us can sympathise with the beginning portion of your tale. Nicely done!!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

How fortunate we are to know someone with such a balanced point of view and the word skills to express it well.

Thanks, Tony. This article will join Doug Prosser's when I strive to sell UL to our 2010 Philmont crews.

Erik Graf

@vango

Locale: Southeast

Tony:

Great article and photos. Beautiful family – you have a lot to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing your story – similar to mine!

Erik "thanks for the Sawyer Filter tips" Graf

William Webber

@micwebbpl

It sounds like you have ventured well-beyond "recreational hiking/camping." It's good to also plan for worst-case scenarios, too – as a parent I now think in terms of hiking buddies & beacons, early unexpected snows and unexpected cold rains, well-traveled trails and not so well-traveled trails, points where I walk more carefully because a fall could be more serious.

Not something to dominate your thinking, but it should always be part of your planning. We all take survival SO much for granted.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Well done Tony, well done. Your sparkling wit and humility are very much in evidence here. Loved the Han Solo reference. And your daughter: darn cute!

I look forward to many more trip accounts.

Cheers,

Rick

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Beautiful story spoken from the heart!

I too embrace "Learning by screwing up." LOL

Thanks for sharing your info and pics. Beautiful family.

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

Thanks for sharing your journey! It made me laugh and remember my "good old days" of the heavy. Awesome pictures. You have a great family and friends.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Great writing and photographs, Tony. I especially liked the pictures of you and your family. It reminds me of my sherpadaddy days.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great story & photos. I think your first pack weight definitely beat mine (not in a good way). I gotta give you credit for making it to Little Yosemite with that much on your back. That last stretch up the switchbacks at Nevada Falls had to be a real killer!

I can't wait to read the other essays. I hope this is a regular offering.

Tom

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Tony,

Thank you for writing your wonderful, insightful article. You have put into words what I'm sure so many of us have experienced in our own struggles on the way to UL backpacking. You have captured, so eloquently, the reasons why we hike.

I'm ever thankful that you shared your obsession and UL "sickness" with Dave and I, showing us the way to lighter packs. One sickness I want no cure for and an obsession I am already passing on to others.

Looking forward to future hiking adventures.

LV

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Tony-
    Really well-written, insightful, thoughtful and balanced. Thanks! You summarized a lot of my journey, too. I have to say, it feels kind of weird to me to read my age on screen– thirty-three? Really? Isn't that kind of… old? I'm just saying, mentally I still think of myself as mid-twenties. I suspect that's true for people of all ages here. Anyway, looking forward to more.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

>"I'm just saying, mentally I still think of myself as mid-twenties. I suspect that's true for people of all ages here."

My wife accuses me of thinking in dog years, since I have a habit of refering to incidents from 15 years ago as a couple of years.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Tony,
    WOW! That really was great. I truly enjoyed reading every word. Your story is much like my own…heavy beginnings!!!

Good work!!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Tony:

Congratulations! Excellent write up! Conjures up those early days for a lot of us! :)

Linda Vassallo

@eastbayhiker

Locale: Eastbay

Tony in his new BPL Hoodie

Hiking with Tony at Las Trampas.
    LV

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools