Topic

backcountry coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

If I'm not using the Folgers Singles, then I keep fiddling around with filtering cowboy coffee. About 11 grams for the GSI filter. Folds flat and fits in a pot.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I agree with Gordon Smith. Starbucks VIA and the flavored iterations are VERY tasty.

In the past I've ground my own coffee and spooned it into little tea bag sized cotton bags with drawstrings. It worked but it was a royal PITA to prepare. And then there was cleaning out the little bags in camp. Yet another PITA.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the Via. Annoyingly expensive, but so easy to live with. I have a half-dozen different coffee filter thingies, but you still have to deal with the grounds and cleanup. Via is digital coffee: immediate gratification :)

Another favorite drink is a "London Fog" made with Earl Gray tea, vanilla syrup and milk. I need to find a good dry milk substitute. That may help with instant coffee too. Chai tea is another favorite.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Grind fine and pour with the lid on. It'll strain itself. No need for bags, filters, presses, or expensive little instant packs.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Then I'd have to carry a "real" lid, which would weigh more than the filter ;)

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

I consider myself a coffee [and microbrew] snob
    i brew coffee 2x/day and have enjoyed roasting my own beans in the past.
    For me Starbux Via tastes way burnt.
    I have found only one instant coffee that pleases my buds, and luckily its very available at the nat food stores where i live. And further luck: its organic!

It is called Mount Hagen Organic Freeze Dried Instant Coffee, from Hamburg.

Because it's tasty, the convenience of freeze dried instant far outweighs the alternatives.
    ew

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I use the GSI filter holder also. I use it as a paper filter holder. It works very well. Nothing like a cup of fresh brewed coffee in the morning. :^)

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Coffee snob here. Why spoil a great trip with lousy coffee? Just use a #4 unbleached paper filter in a normal snow peak cup. It stands just tall enough to not spill the beans over into the cup. No equipment required or desired. Let it dry. Can be reused the next day with the old grounds and the addition of some new grounds.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Coffee

Of course I don't take the whole jar. I'm not a coffee snob. Heck I even like instant oatmeal.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"…allowing the coffee oils to transfer …"

I have always believed that paper (cellulose) absorbs the oils.

Are the bags a synthetic of some sort?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

For me VIA is the answer for good coffee on the trail. I've tried filling my own tea bags with ground coffee but VIA beats them all.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Rick,

As well as lots of bad coffee, London has a lot of world class coffee shops, check out this map for some ideas.

http://tinyurl.com/5h6gsx

Pour-over equipment (Kalita, Hario etc.) is easily available online.

For freshly-roasted beans, I can recommend HasBean, Verve, Extract, Coffee Compass, Rave, James Gourmet, Smokey Barn and Alchemy.

Check out Coffeeforums.co.uk for more information.

Dave (Relaxing with a nice cup of Ethiopian Dumerso Kalita)

Just in case I have no commercial involvement (other than spending lots on coffee) with the above named companies.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

I don't usually have a stove on trips, but if I did, coffee would be the main reason to have it.

So when I don't have a stove, the Starbucks Via Latte packets are the bomb in cold water. I enjoy my quality coffee in the front country, but this cold, refreshing, coffee-like beverage is awesome for a morning on the trail. Trail Angels on the PCT were getting sent boxes and boxes of this stuff for free to promote it from Starbucks. It totally worked.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

VIA, VIA, VIA, and flavored VIA.

Hang the expense.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I love a cup of coffee in the morning. I used to carry freshly ground coffed, and I have used a mini espresso maker, and a French press. But for me, Via by Starbucks is good enough, and I add powdered milk and splenda to it. My coffee issues are solved.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools