Topic

backcountry coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

I tried searching the forums to see if anyone posted this question before but didn't find anything. Hopefully, I'm not repeating anything…

I was just wondering how other people prepared their backcountry coffee?

My way is a "cowboy-coffee-meets-turkish-coffee" kind of preparation. I like to get really finely ground beans and put some of the grinds into my coffee cup. Then bring water to a boil and pour into my cup with the grinds inside. I stir the mixture with a very thin stick just on the surface (less than 1/2 inch from the top of the water) in a zig zag pattern until all the grinds sink to the bottom (usually about 2 minutes or so). Then enjoy! The sludge usually stays at the bottom of the cup so you're not chewing your coffee as long as you don't jostle your cup too much and stir the grinds up from the bottom. I personally think this makes the best cup of backcountry coffee in my opinion. But I am interested in how other people prepare their coffee.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

I have carried an old aluminum percolator coffee pot for a long time. I know it's not the lightest, but it works for me and has never let me down.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I just take along a good quality instant coffee. Sure it is not quite as good as brewed coffee but there is no sludge, no grounds and no hassle to make. It is lighter too and if you get a good brand, surprisingly tasty. To me the reduced fuss is well worth the slight loss of flavor. For you coffee snobs out there this may be heresy; sorry about that!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nescafé Clasico, in the 'Mexican' section.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Yup, instant coffee for me too. And although I enjoy my French press, Starbucks' Utopia,
    and Keurig brewers, this is only at home, not in the field. Besides, 30% of a good cup of an enjoyable cup of coffee is the milk (OK, half-n-half), and w/o that, all backcountry coffee kind of stinks (no sense brewing with grinds). Still, the instant coffee I recommend is Nescafe Taster's Choice Gourmet Roast, which you can find here.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Real coffee ground just before the trip. Put MSR coffee filter into cup and pour in hot (not boiling) water, cover and steep. Bury the grounds in a cat hole. Can't leave home without it!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I'm lazy so I usually use Folgers Coffee Singles. They're basically tea bags with coffee in them. It's not Starbucks, but good enough to get me going in the morning. I store sugar and powdered creamer in small ziplock-style bags.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Coffee singles from Folgers here. It's just too easy.
    And black, the way coffee was intended.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

Instant coffee for me too. Sure it doesn't taste the best, but it's better than no coffee. And not only is it easy to pack and make, but there is nothing to throw away afterwards…

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I combine a Folgers Instant single with Pure Java Extract. A very good combination and simple!!!!!

-Jay

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I believe that we have found the best solution to good coffee in the backcountry with no mess, no fuss.
    It starts with an Aeropress, an inexpensive coffee press thingy. We make a concentrate with it at home using freshly ground beans (though you can use ground) and the results have no bitterness.
    We pack along the concentrate on trips. We can make iced coffee by adding water from cold mountain streams or hot coffee in the morning by heating a bit of water with our stove to add to it. No grounds to dispose of, just smooth, rich coffee. Woo-Hoo!
    I guess it is like Java Juice but much cheaper (sorry BPL) and better tasting.
    We also use it this way at home.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> I guess it is like Java Juice but much cheaper (sorry BPL) and better tasting.

Hey, no worries from us. We provide Java Juice because it's a good product and an easy way for people to get obtain something they may not be willing to take the time to make themselves.

We're all for hearing about other ways to brew up backcountry coffee so keep the ideas coming. This conversation happens to be well-timed also. Keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming video some staff members put together this summer.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I've given up on backpacking coffee. At home I make cafe au lait with nonfat milk (I dislike milk with fat in it). I haven't yet found a brand of non-fat dry milk that tastes halfway decent with coffee (I can stand it with cold cereal, but the milk/coffee combination gets a horrible taste hot, and it often lumps). Having given up the coffee, I have dispensed with a hot beverage altogether in the mornings. I just eat cold cereal (usually meusli or grapenuts with extra fruit) and am on my way. Less fuss, less fuel. I take along a couple of tea bags in case I do need a jump start in the morning.

That being said, I have found Mount Hagen Organic Instant Coffee (a German brand) far superior to any US brand or (ugh) Nescafe. It's available in organic food stores in the US (at least in the west) but is not cheap! Not as good as brewed, but far better than the competition, IMHO.

In my younger years, I preferred "cowboy coffee" (a dash of cold water goes a long way towards settling the grounds), but now I don't want the fuss and bother of dealing with the grounds, or the weight of packing them out wet.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I've tried a few methods, but I keep going back to my French press to steep for about 3-4 minutes. Sometimes with a little Nido and raw sugar, but usually just straight up!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Coffee blasphemy, I know, but I switched to hot tea when I backpack. At home, I usually only drink one cup of coffee in the morning – sometimes two on weekend mornings – so I don't go into withdrawals if I skip coffee for a week or so when backpacking.

The different teas I like have a little caffeine, but a lot of flavor. Try it, you'll like it (maybe). My wife becomes very dangerous when just talking about not drinking plenty of coffee. So the tea alternative is not for everyone.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i still use my trusty BonJour french press (the only real luxury item i will carry, at almost 5oz) to avoid being a grumpy and lazy bastardo with a headache. Toss the grounds in the nearest bush, it is an excellent fertilizer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like George I carry tea for most days, with a couple of packets of Java Juice for mornings when the beast is sitting on my chest.

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

I used to carry those coffee/tea bag type things…. they're okay.I love Java Juice! It taste the way is supposed to… strong and bitter.I am wary of trying the flavored ones though. Most flavored coffees taste so weird.

Patrick

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

I couldn't agree more patrick. I'm just not down with the flavered stuff. In my humble opinion, if you have to flavor your coffee with something other than coffee flavor, you are drinking the wrong coffee. Then again, I'm one of those annoying "coffee purists" who's entire day is based on my morning cup of coffee. I like it fresh, black, and strong. Havn't tried the java juice yet though. Maybe I'll bring a few packs along on my next trip in a few weeks.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I'm a heathen when it comes to drinking coffee in the wilds and go for single serving instant sachets for convenience. I tried Java Juice for the first time just before Christmas and highly recommend it as a 'boost' to instant coffee.

I am still sorely tempted by the Snowpeak Titanium French Press though. I could justify it if I could leave behind the hip flask. Tough choices!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Joe, thats one heavy and expensive press my friend… check out the Lexan press by BonJour. I removed the base, the handle, and made a reflectix cozy to get a 4.5oz weight. $13

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Thanks for the info Mike! Genius! Time to do some searching for a similar item over here!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

heres a pic of the press, with a "D" battery for reference. reflectix cozy is removeable. the carafe holds .42L but the coffee will yeild .3L or so.

press

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I dunno, guys…

My Snowpeak Ti press doesn't go on many trips with me, but minus the wire handles it only weighs 5.6oz vs. 4.5oz for that Bonjour. The Snowpeak has a max fill of ~650ml, and yields a solid 500ml of primo joe! Personally, for that 1.1oz difference I'd rather have more coffee and zero plasticky taste… (But I do usually just fire up the cowboy coffee.)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools