Topic

Music and Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Music and Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Yeah I know the tune. Yep sitting around a campfire and listening to tunes around a campfire is either some like to do, and some don't. Me? Well by myself, I would just to fill some time before bed. Sometimes I bring my iPod and listen to some songs. I used to back in the day bring a am/fm radio and listen to ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Foghat, etc. (by the way I listen to Punk Rock…go figure). It's just that sometimes having some tunes around at the end of the day, with a little whiskey is a nice closure for the day. What do you all think???

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i bring a music player on many hikes, mostly solo. I usually listen if i need to make good time and then once ready for bed, like yourself. Being from the Bay area, you must have had the classic punks like Avengers, Negative Trend, and of course the timeless "fresh fruit for rotting vegetables" which still sounds modern given its content.
    Im with you man, I dig sipping some Gentleman Jack whilst swaying in my hammock and reflecting back to a different time with some good 'ol Bad Brains

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Rock For Light Rock For Light……Bad Brains!! Just makes my day listening to some fun tunes and sipping some whiskey!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I never bring music or anything like that along on my trips. Reminds me too much of the modern world that I'm trying to escape from.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

"It's just that sometimes having some tunes around at the end of the day, with a little whiskey is a nice closure for the day. What do you all think???"

"Slow ride… take it easy…"

Ashley,
    I'm the same way. The only "powered devices" allowed on my hikes are a light and a watch (and it's in the pack, not on my wrist).
    Chris

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I occasionally bring a player on solo trips- especially when I'm going high mileage. When I'm hitting a wall, I love to have some great music to put a spring in my step. It's a nice luxury when laying in bed too.

Some people bring books but I usually prefer music, that is if I bring anything extra at all.

I like punk too- Fugazi is where it's at!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I love the outdoors and I love music, combine both and you have magic. I always bring my Ipod with a headset and mini speakers. I can't think of a better combo then 15-20 miles with the use of 15-20 rock songs that get you through some tough moments. Too each is there own!!! You can't help but walk fast listening to TOOL or Foo Fighters.

OH Ya Fugazi rocks-don't forget MINOR THREAT!!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

yep, the album "13 songs" is in constant rotation. And if TOOL and Foo Fighters make you walk fast, try listening to Cavalera Conspiracy :)

i did find the post amusing about keeping the modern world out of your backpacking but then bringin a watch? how odd..
    i always thought music was a way to escape from modern society – maybe i just listen to the right music?

"too each is there own!!!"
    yessir

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Mike,
    The watch is more for my leaving and returning… knowing what time it is in relation to a store's opening/closing, coordinating transpotation, etc. Aside from that, it isn't used during the duration of my trip.
    Chris

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

REPEATER!!! Ian Mackaye

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

What are the BPL's favorite Mp3 player that you'd take on a multi-week hike? I like the Iriver T10 player (uses one disposable AA Lithium battery). It has great controls for a non-Ipod player (at home, I use the Ipod Nano). I normally like audiobooks but doing an intense hike, 90 % of the time I do not have the concentration energy to listen to the audiobook, so I listen mostly to classical music — my favorite is the 3 CD collector's edition of Amadeus Soundtrack (Mozart music).

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I use a Ipod Nano 1.5 oz
    Sangean headset 0.5 oz
    Mi-Mini speakers 1.1 oz
    Total: 3.1oz of LUXURY!!!!!!!

Jazz goes very good with single malt and a camp fire.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

This is going to sound funny coming from an orchestral conductor, but I prefer audiobooks when I backpack. Perhaps it's that I work with music all day, and I never have time to read, so for me an audiobook IS a change of pace for me.

But it's more than that. I think backpacking, and the drive to the destination, are the perfect settings for audiobooks; they usually are several hours long, so I can really get into the text. With music, every 3-5 minutes when the song changes I am reminded that I am backpacking. But a good audiobook can really keep my mind off the trail when I get really tired. It also really helps on in-and-out trips, where the route up is interesting, but the route back can get a little long.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

I am a patient boy,
    I wait and I wait and I wait,
    My time is water down the drain,
    everbody's moving
    everbody's moving moving moving moving,
    please don't leave me to remain,
    In the waiting room!

ahh, misspent youth. I have a student in one of my classes named Ian McKay, never understands why I like saying his name so much.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Chris, just givven you a hard time. (get it, time… lol)

Mozart rules! I dig the classics, you know Brahms and Vivaldi and such. I went to the Phoenix Symphony for the first time when about 12, and was blown away.

I have a Sandisk Sansa (after looking at the top 10 budget MP3's It was 3rd on the list of high reviews from a trusted site).

so why not listen to your favorite album(s) while doing something you enjoy, whether it be washing a car or building a tarp or hiking a hill.. music certainly has a place in the backcountry for me!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I love music so I cant imagine backpacking for very long without it. I mean we all love the outdoors and everything but it can get a little boring sometimes and good music will turn my mood around.
    I know a lot of people are horrified that someone would choose not to listen to the sounds of nature all day, but come on! How many hours do I have to listen to the birds and wind until I officially appreciated nature! We need a little variety in our day. And I have to laugh when people covered head to toe with petroleum based fabrics and products act like a few headphone buds in my ear is a modern intrusion into the purity of nature. HA!
    I like contemporary metal like Isis, Jesu, Pelican, Red sparrows, Mystik Krewe of Clearlight ect- lots of instrumentals.
    I have the 4G Sandisk sansa. Inexpensive and most importantly for me -it takes one AAA battery so it can be taken anywhere without needing to find somewhere to plug it in.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I took a Ipod Nano on my JMT hike. I listened to about 15 songs a day in the afternoons. I recharged it just once at VVR over 14 days. Those 15 songs a day really help me through some long and hard, majestic miles. My Nano holds 1045 songs that's a whole lot of songs for 1.5oz!!!

Porcupine Tree and Radiohead makes you walk faster!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Man I did not know there were so many Fugazi fans on here. First Ep was awesome!!! Waiting Room is my fave by a mile.

And Jay is right, a little jazz can really set the mood after a tough day. Ahhh now where is my Single Malt

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Wen I'm hiking, I want to hear my surroundings. I don't want to be surprised by another hiker or an animal that I didn't hear. I don't listen to music then. I still bring an iPod Nano, it makes me feel more comfortable to think I can listen to music, even if I rarely end up doing it. On the rare times I use it, it's when I'm stopped for the night.

I keep thinking that I need to learn to play a portable instrument that I can take with me. Electric guitar and computer/synth music isn't very portable, and even backpacking guitars are bigger than I'd like to bring with me. Perhaps harmonica or xaphoon would be good.

Mike Feldman
    Spectator

@harpin-2

Locale: SE USA

To keep me from obsessing about gram counting of my kit consumables at camp each night, and having played harmonica 35 years, 30 semi professionally, like keeping chops up, bring one diatonic harmonica often. Sometimes may hardly play, if people around wanting privacy; or times may end up being campfire, or around the Alcohol Stoves entertainment for others, or myself alone. Oh, probably no plans for sub 5 pound kit carrying even one harmonica,w/say cell phone and camera while gram counting but still works for me w/8-13 or so pound base weight before food/water on most 3 season SE trips.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

When I run, I use the iPod Shuffle. I just got an iPhone, so I'll probably use that for trips. However, replenishing the batteries can prove difficult, as it requires a wall plug.

I have always been interested in the HighGear TrailAudio as a substitute on the trips, as it is small and takes AAA batteries – I can pack extra in case.

I just bought these speakers (4oz) for an upcoming vacation. I'll have to report back on their performance. They also charge via USB, like the iPhone, so I'm covered there.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Those are pretty sweet. Like the size and how the pack together. I just might get these for my laptop

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

These speakers work great, not to loud but perfect background music in camp. The MiMini speakers come in at 1.1oz with one AAA battery. They work PC050488great with a Ipod-Nano.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Pretty similar to mine. And I can vouch for Jay's speakers they do a good job!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken if you get a chance can you PM your Cell# I would like to talk to you just before Pt. Reyes-Thanks!!!

What about some Nip Drivers, Marginal Man and the Comp. Not so quite on the Western Front. Can you burn a CD.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools