Topic

Music and Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Music and Backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

That's very provocative. On the order of listening to a few Grateful Dead records and then jumping into a live show at minute 23 of some long-winded jam and figuring out for certain what the heck it is. Too rich for my blood.

Clifford Sax

@csax6364

Locale: East Sussex

I take my cell phone with me and I load that up with 2GB of music / audio books / downloads from the BBC etc.

The music is taylored to the trip and acts as a soundtrack to the landscape. It enhances the emotional impact (e.g Benjamin Britten's Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes when walking the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path). There are many British composers who found inspiration from the landscape and listening to their music whilst walking within that landscape provides me with immense pleasure. It seems to connect me with the landscape in a way that reflects my own feelings and reasons for loving trail walking. I also have to admit that it allows me to indulge my romantic spirit!

I can't think of any American composers who followed the early 20th century pastoral movement that we had in the U.K with people like Vaughan Williams, Delius, Britten etc but there is a massive pool of film music that is influenced by natural environments – some of which would be great whilst walking.

Also, I really enjoy planning my trips. Exploring google earth, pawing over the Ordnance Survey maps, and compiling the music that I'm going to take with me is all part of my initial connection with the landscape before even getting there.

The other thing of course is that using the media capabilitites on my phone makes it a multi-purpose tool par excellence: Life saver, book, music player, clock, alarm, torch etc etc

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the great thing about an iPod is the more songs you listen to, the lighter it gets

Paul Smith

@ingoti

Locale: MN

>I can't think of any American composers who followed the early 20th century….<

Copeland defines the American landscape quite well for a guy who grew up in a Brooklyn apartment.

Clifford Sax

@csax6364

Hi Paul

Yes, although I've never thought of Copeland as a 'pastoralist', you are right. I listen to his music and easily hear a commentary on the cultural landscape rather than the land itself – the jazz inflections, the borrowed folk melodies, all those dances etc. What I hear is more a combination of shaker culture, Mexican dances, and cowboys! That said, one can also hear the open prairies and the high mountains and above all s p a c e.

If I'm ever in Virginia walking the A T I'll be sure to put him on my phone / mp3 player!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Clifford,

Last Monday I heard symphony performance of Benjamin Britten's Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes. Incredible piece.

Punk Rockers,

However, during winter sunrise training walks, I've found that Pink Floyd works best for me. Punk Rock is just too scary for an old man like me.

Clifford Sax

@csax6364

Here you go then George:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7JDvTarqQ&feature=related

Imagine you're on one of your winter walks and it's stormy with massive rollers coming in off the Atlantic. Your soaking wet and 4 miles from camp. The above link in your ears kind of makes it better….doesn't it?

That's why I listen to music on the trail :-)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i brought my iPod with me on one solo trip – i will never do it again. i felt removed from my setting, so much so, i got paranoid that i would not be alert if danger presented itself.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools