Topic

Gear Room

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Room

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Ken…

The obession and the compulsion are just BEAUTIFUL. It brought a tear to my eye. Makes me ashamed to post pics of my gear room, but I plan on it anyway…I'll have them up soon.

I am impressed Ken…very impressed.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I wish I had a room that I could use as a gear room.

But who knows maybe I can find a corner or 2

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>I was just hating on people that are lucky enough to have proper space to store everything ;-)

Yeah, I'm feeling Bah Humbug too. All my gear is stored under my bed :( We DO have a small closet for storing 'shared' stuff such as pots, stoves and tents though. I'm just waiting for the teens to move out so I can commandeer their quite large closet!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey thanks all! Don't hate on me, it does look like that 95% of the time. The other 5% will be with gear spread out over three rooms most likely. A little OCD perhaps. Or maybe too much free time in the evenings. Probably both. It's great to see other peoples setups. Bob B., I also have closets too short to hang my bags, so they hang in their cotton sacks. Jay W. Love to go hiking with you some time. Maybe the next time you're headed for the Trinitys!?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ken we are doing a Point Reyes trip in January if you are interested. A bunch from here are going including Jay!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Ken, Try to go to Pt. Reyes in January.. Trinity Alps next July?!? The more the better. Gotta love pictures!040

Emerald and Sapphire Lake

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I only have room for a gear closet. The laundry room had a closet that I gutted and rebuilt for backpacking gear. The closet is 87" wide x 24" deep x 90" high. The laundry room is so narrow I can't get far enough away for a photo, even if I removed the sliding doors. I have inserted some stitched photos to give you an idea of the layout.

South end showing shelving (24" wide x 32" deep). Top shelf holds: 4 ThermaRest pads. Second shelf holds: water filters, stove fuel, stoves and stuff sacks. Third shelf holds: Backpacking clothing and has a staging area for packing (currently littered with misc. stuff). Fourth shelf holds: tents, bivies, ground cloths, tent stakes and 2 fishing poles. Bottom shelf holds: backpacks (all except the LuxuryLight, which is the only pack I've used in 3 years.
    Gear Closet - South End
    Middle area for walk-in access. I often stand various walking sticks and trekking poles here. I hang compasses here to keep them magnetically separated.
    Gear Closet - Center Area
    North end showing shelving (22" wide x 35" deep). Top shelf holds – left to right: 1 Garcia and 2 Bearikade canisters, box of additional clothing and hats. Second shelf holds – left to right: box of water bottles, bladders and cleaning gear, box of pots, insulated cups and food storage gear, boxes (stacked) of spare parts and miscellaneous stuff, and first aid supplies. Third shelf holds: 4 sleeping bags. Bottom shelf holds: 3 sleeping bags and a LuxuryLight cylinder full of spare cylinders.Gear Closet - North End

I have so many alcohol stoves they're stored in a box above the washer/dryer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ken and Jay, Thanks for the invite! I will be looking forward to it. I will check your other thread for specifics. Ken

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

I'm seeing that I am about 2 weeks late, but thought I would bring it back up…Here are a few pics of my room.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

WOW! :)

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

I'm seeing that I am about 2 weeks late, but thought I would bring it back up…Here are a few pics of my room.

We have a winner.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

AMEN!!!

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Jonathon,

This truly is an inspiration. I do believe you have just dudded my daughter out of a future ensuite.

I rushed the laptop into the lounge to show my wife, counting your sleeping bags out loud to her. I was hoping you'd post the photo of your lounge room floor carpeted with packs again, just so I could also convince her that this was perfectly normal.

I don't see any tents here though. I have a feeling you might be holding out on us. Come on mate, you can tell me…..You've got another stash in the garage, don't you.

Rod

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Jonathan:

I've seen retailers that didn't have that much space….or as much gear.

He who dies with the most gear, wins.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Sai

@saizai

My 'gear room' is my backpack. Other than the sleeping bag (kept in its voluminous bag when not in use, on top of a shelf of clothes), that is.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Well, I'll say this of my gear room: It's lots of fun, but daunting sometimes trying to find "exactly" what I want. I have thought of it as a bit of a demon for quite some time. I have had a great opportunity to play around with LOTS of gear over the last few years. I have sold many many items because I am always redesigning my kits. If I were better at it I would only need a couple of shelves. With that said I tip my hat to you guys who know your gear and have refined your kits to a couple of shelves.

JB

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Jonathan, You are the GEARHEAD GOD…. I thought I had issues….You take the Crown!!!!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jonathan
    Looks like all 8 members of your family share your same size.
    Franco

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Jonathan,
    You Rock! I'm going to set my self on fire.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jonathan:

Good gawd! That is not a gear room — that is a gear emporium!!! :)

My gear occupies half of a closet — a smallish 1930's style closet.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in Ben. I'm planning ahead for the whole family…yeah, that's it ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Dare I ask… where are your tents???

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Jonathon,

Have you discussed with your wife how many kids you're planning on having?!?

christian gagas

@chummysaladbar

I finally got my gear room tidied up after our last trip and thought I would get a few shots of it while it was looking good. It's a space in my basement that I partitioned off for the purpose, though I share with the oil tank and washer/dryer. The only stuff not visible is the tub contents; they hold most of my clothing items in a nice loose format, easy to dig through in a hurry.

I also threw in a shot of my gear making room; we have an unfinished master bedroom that I currently occupy (my wife moved her private pottery studio into the basement) as we prefer to sleep on the first floor. I have a nice work table and 10×14 open floor next to it for layout and cutting, and a dedicated machine table to house a Sailrite walking foot machine that my wife got me for xmas last year. I have a few other machines I've inherited as well and that can be set up for specific tasks, but the Sailrite ends up doing most of it these days…the pack wallsmall stuff shelfbag wallbins, pads and tentsgear making room

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools