Topic

Gear Room

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Room

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Jon Christensen
    BPL Member

@jonnyc

Locale: Midwest

I did a quick search and did not find anything on peoples gear rooms and pictures of it. I will be moving into a house soon and I will have a whole room to store/display :) my gear. So I was wondering what you guys have done to store your gear. If you have any pictures of your room/closet/garage where your gear is stored I would love to see them to get some ideas. Specifically any good/cool system to hang your sleeping bags (the closet height will be to small to store them at full length). Look foward to see and hearing about all your set ups.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Mine is nowhere near as fancy as you are expecting; but yes, I do have a spare room that stores all my gear :)Gear Room

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I like the use of the word "room".
    Not closet, not box, but room…

This is BPL after all.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I've never heard of a closet that wasn't tall enough to hang a full sleeping bag, unless you are measuring only from the bar to the floor. Raise the bar!

I am blessed with a 36 inch deep closet in my office/bedroom which allowed me to use 12 and 16 inch deep ventilated wire shelving. After designing what I wanted, I went to The Container Store and bought the pieces I needed to build in a completel modular ELFA closet unit. I also bought a few extra pieces – notably hanging bars – that allow the closet to be reconfigured to standard mode when we sell the house. Total cost less than $400.

The design worked so well that I put similar systems into each of the remaining walk-in closets in the house. That gave my wife a custom-designed closet for our bedroom, another designed for her sewing room and all its materials and the like, and a third for the guest bedroom – where our grown son still has tons of boxes stored.

Note the 24 inch SB – shelf basket – which has a raised front and back so nothing can roll out. I store my tents here. The thick black boxes at the ends of some shelves are really just bookends that clip into the up-rights. This keeps things from rolling off the side of a shelf. They also protect the down bags from things on the shelves beside them.

Photobucket

Note the short 12 inch bar on the right. I can hang two 6'6" down sleeping bags without touching the floor, and have space above the bar if I wanted them further off the ground. Since all the shelves are infinitely adjustable, the configuration can change as needed.

I did not include the optional cart unit, but it could be added to the existing structure easily, replacing the existing 19 inch wide 2nd section. Only the 5 vertical up-rights are permanently fixed in place.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

jon. congrats on getting into a house. i have a very dry basement and a handy husband. he built me shelves and attached a bar across the cross bars to hang my sleeping bags and tents(yes, i have mutiples). i store my gear in rubbermaid bins which i labeled with contents. you could still hang up your sleeping bags and tents in the closet. just loop them over the hanger. have fun…

Jon Christensen
    BPL Member

@jonnyc

I can't raise the bar because there is a pre built shelf with a bar under it. I did consider just folding my bags but I have room to make something to have them hung full. So I would like to do that. Thanks for the insight so far! Bob I love the detail!

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Here's mine, although, my arsenal has grown substantially since I made this video:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-gear-closet.html

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey Craig,
    I have the EXACT same vaccuum cleaner you do! Bissel rocks! ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Due to our remodeling projects, most of our gear sits next to my side of the bed. The piles are taller than the bed. Bins everywhere.
    We have gear for all 3 of us, the daypacks stay downstairs in the living room for easy grabbing.
    Then we have the other gear that is in the garage.
    If all together it would eat up most of a bedroom. Ugh.

But it does all get used at some point.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I do not yet have enough stuff for a Gear Room so I have to make do with just a Gear Closet.
    Gear Closet - Lower
    Gear Closet - Upper
    Gear Closet

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

David,
    Actualy no, three bags and a quilt. When I decide which I prefer the Nunatak Ark or WM bag for summer use I will sell the other. Living in the PNW I get the pleasure of true four season trips which require a greater range of gear. The fifth storage bag holds my Patagonia down sweater and WM jacket.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Isn't it amazing how the volume of gear expands to fit the available storage space? I theorize that my gear either

1. Breeds when the closet doors are closed and the house is dark at night, or….

2. Soaks up moisture from the air (it's quite damp here in Oregon) and swells, or…..

3. I spend entirely too much time checking SteepandCheap.com and the Gear Swap forum, often falling prey to the diabolical marketing practices some of you folks employ.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Oh I like this thread!!! My Gear Garage is the most favorite part of my house. You can never have enough gear! Never!!!!PB280484 I just love trying new stuff all the time. I just ordered a new MLD pack. Can't wait for X-Mass!!!

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

Call me a purist, but isn't the idea of a "gear room" the antithesis of the UL concept? I can understand a dedicated closet space, since that is more reasonable for the amount of room that a kit would fit in, but an entire room just seems rather excessive.
    I personally have a gear shelf. My gear is tightly but neatly packed into a closet that is shared with my clothes, cycling gear and the rest of my personal belongings.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Mr. Brown just let the gear take over your life. Give it time and you will need more space for your new purchases-TRUST ME!!!! A closet just won't cut it.

Jon Christensen
    BPL Member

@jonnyc

I guess I could clarify a little. The room I will use for my gear will also have our computer, books and other office stuff. So I guess the whole room won't be gear but basically I will use more than just the closet.

I have yet to get rid of all my "heavy" gear cause I work with high school students so I have stuff for them to use. So a closet no longer can hold all the gear. Oh so much fun :)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jay how did I know we would see a picture!!

Looks like I have to post mine too!

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Phil, don't store your insulating items tightly packed, if it can be avoided. Especially synthetics, if you have any.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I keep my insulated items like my jacket and quilt lofted and hanging from cords in my living room.. I do have a lot of gear and my storage system is actually a real nightmare. I was just hating on people that are lucky enough to have proper space to store everything ;-) I'll put up a picture of my gear storage system when I get back from vacation. I've found one of the main benefits of having a UL kit is that it does take up a significantly smaller amount of storage space.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I would be embarrassed to show a pic of my gear. I'm very disorganized, although I know where most of my things are. One thing that I wanted to mention is cardboard boxes. Spiders love cardboard boxes in closets.

elias heyns

@chiefcrazytalk

i don't like to confine my gear to a closet or a room, i'd rather live in harmony with it as i consider it a part of myself. you can't get back from a trip and pack it all away neatly like the adventurer is only who i am on weekends, i need to have it all around me, touching my life on a daily basis.

…at least that's what i tell myself. it's all just scattered around the house.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I really need a single, organized closet. I have my clothes and shoes in my closet, snowboard clothes in a dresser in another room, sleeping bags and extra jackets in yet another room, packs, bikes, and snowboards in the basement.

Rather pathetic. I need to put my foot down and get some dedicated space, and collate it all together this winter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I store most things in this cabinet, sleeping bags are hanging in the rear row of another closet.cabinet In the same room is the MYOG set up as well.myog station My work table has a removable insert that allows me to drop in my sewing machine!necchi

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey nice setup Ken!!! Come on is it always that clean?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools