Topic

bandanna/packtowel-whats best?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear bandanna/packtowel-whats best?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    mike oliver

@ekimo2419yahoo-com

most absorbent? easiest to clean? compressability?
    odor resistant? uv protection? and of course the lightest? more uses bandanna/ packtowel/neckwarmer?/??????include size for big headed folk please. i love your feedback

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I find Handi-Wipes, available at the supermarket in packages of 6, to be lighter, more absorbent and much faster drying than a pack towel. They're also a lot cheaper! They can be washed and dried with the laundry and last for at least a season. I bought a small-size pack towel last summer and used it on a trip. After a day I went back to the Handi-Wipes because the pack towel stayed permanently soggy. Even on Washington's Olympic coast (fog and drizzle), the Handi-Wipes dried in an hour in the tent vestibule. I also found Handi-Wipes much more effective in wiping down the inside of a tent than a pack towel–you can wring and shake more water out of the Handi-Wipes than you can a pack towel.

I've never used my bandanna as a towel because cotton is so slow drying. I take one primarily because the manufacturer of the anti-glare coating on my glasses insists that they be cleaned with a 100% cotton cloth to avoid scratching. For that reason, my bandanna is basically a one-use item–I have to keep it clean.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If you buy your packtowel from an internet, non-camping source, they're about a thousand times cheaper.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

you got that right Joe.
    trader joes, safeway, dollar store – all places Ive seen something very similar to the MSR style pack towel. exept in all cases, under $3

i use a bandana simply for the reasons for pre-filtering water – and well, it would just look silly to wear a pack towel on your head. Handi Wipes are also disposable, which is not very responsible imo. a bandana can last years. and it wont leave little fuzzy hairs stuck to my beard.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Mary,

Thanks for handi-wipe suggestion. I have these all around the house, and never once thought … duh!

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Great tip indeed, Mary! Never would I have guessed these would hold up to the wash.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I've used Handi Wipes with my kitchen set, but normally have to replace them every 2-3 trips. They seem to get holes pretty fast in my experience, even handwashing them.

I find bandanas a lot sturdier, and usually faster drying than a pack towel. I look for thin, cheap ones.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I second the recommendation for handi-wipes. I've been using them for a few years now, I find them better than pack towels in all aspects: lighter, equally or more absorvent, quicker drying and so much cheaper. I usually squeeze several seasons out of each. Only problem is when the hostel showers are communal :)

it'd look odd as a bandanna though but you might be setting trends, you never know…

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Bandanas win on versatility. Head & neck-wear, pot grabber, dish cloth, sling/swath, bandaging, etc. If you get the thin cheap ones they dry quickly (I've even had 'em dry quicker than a pack towel!). I'll have a total of 2 or 3 bandanas per trip. Maybe a small square of packtowel for mopping up the tent if bad rain expected or dogs along. My cent-

Pete Strifler

@pstrifler

Locale: OH, PA, VW, VA

I'm surpised nobody mentioned the Buff yet! Made of coolmax, they dry much faster than a bandana, and have many more wearable configurations. I use mine basically as a sweat catcher on my forehead, but pull the flaps (a portion of the fabric) over my ears to keep them warm. It can also bea worn as a beanie, a balaclava, and a neck gaiter. Doubled up like a rubberband it fits perfectly over your wrist for storage. Very versatile piece, and one I would replace immediately if ever lost.
    P

Pete Strifler

@pstrifler

Locale: OH, PA, VW, VA

Buff picMe wearing a buff

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i use a car chamoix thing. one of those super absorbent, ring em out type pieces of cloth. i just cut it down a little smaller than washcloth size.

that buff looks kinda interesting though

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I usually use one of the el cheapo disposable towels mentioned above but if you want a real towel (one that you can actually dry off with after a swim or something), you might be interested in this one I just tried out:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2008/11/field-test-wicksilver-pack-towel.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Buff 30 bucks. Bandana $1.50 wins again.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ken,
    I'm with you. I have a drawer full of pack towels that get used on canoe trips, but on long backpacking trips, I always end up using a bandana. They dry faster and do as much drying as a pack towel. Never found a pack towel that dries as thoroughly as a bandana. I prefer oversized bandanas and buy a bunch when I find them. My head is too big for regular-sized bandanas.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I use triangular bandages for the same reasons. Cheap, dry quickly, larger than most bandannas and in a pinch can be used for medical purposes.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I know I put a link on here to a cheap source of towels. Oh well, guess it got modded.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I presume the Wicksilver towel is made from the same fabric as the Discovery Trekking Outfitters towel.

I'm 99% sure the fabric is Malden Mills Polartec Power Dry with X-static silver fibers. I'm wearing a t-shirt of the same fabric as I sit here typing! Quick drying and no stink.

I found the fabric in "army T-shirt" color at Mill Direct Textiles for $5.99/yd plus shipping. Since the t-shirts only cost me $9 each with free shipping I haven't bought any yardage yet.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I don't like it that if I wipe down my tent or something my bandana gets dirty. Then I have to wear a dirty bandana. I use a small square of an old pack towel I found in a hiker box. I also use a small strip of the same towel as a pee rag, which is another subject. Hose off, dry off, put it in the mesh to sanitize in the sun.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sooner or later I am going to be excommunicated from here
    I use the Buff or something similar ( IE it not cotton) as a wrist warmer/bandanna/sweat band and very occasionally as a grunge filter/pot lifter and whatever i need at the time. Oh, yes, I like it around my neck with some clothing combinations.
    Rather than the Handi-wipes I use two Super Chux (note SUPER) , provably very similar stuff
    http://www.chux.com.au/content.aspx?id=2
    One for the tent, one for the kitchen . The tent one gets used for my ritual sponge bath .
    Also I have a Scotch Brite (3M) mini towel , about 1 foot square , to dry myself with . A few dollars from the supermarket. Next to the sponges,Chuxs and the like).
    This one feels better than the purpose made versions I used before.
    That is 4 thingos compared to the that some use.
    Franco

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Here is what I use:

Cold weather – MSR Pack towel @ 1.6 oz. It has insulating properties which do come in handy.

Mild weather – Handiwipe @ .3 oz.

Hot weather – Bandana @ .9 oz often worn around neck after soaking with water.

Cold weather – no bathing for me.

Other weather, a swim if water is available.

Don't really need a sponge anymore, since I just boil water. I only need to clean my spork and maybe my cup if I let coffee dry out in the bottom.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

first criteria: will it burn?
    If not, it is a pot lifter.

Second, does it absorb water?
    If so, it is a towel

Does it block the sun?
    Then it's a head cover.

In cold, wet weather, a cotton bandanna is less versatile, but most of the time, it is the best – especially in the extra large size. IMHO

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use my shop towels instead of bandana and packtowel.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

you know, I went back and forth with myself on this very topic. When I gave it some thought, I've NEVER used a packtowel, but I've ALWAYS had a bandana with me as my preferred headware and subsequently used it for everything from a towel to a pot-potholder to a cleaning rag and I've never really needed anyting else. It's not as effective for using as an actual towel or a cleaning rag for dishes due to it's absorbansy (if that's a word…), but I've been using bandanas my whole hiking/camping life. Bandanas – 4 for $1.00 or about 2-3 bucks for a super fancy uber cool printed one. packtowel – almost 20 bucks for the MSR version! Around 10 bucks is the cheapest I've found quality ones. If I'm going to actually USE a camptowel rather than my bandana, I want a pretty quality towel that's going to trump what I've been using my whole life; but I'm just not willing to spend the amount of money for a quality towel for the same reason. I've found the really cheap ones (I've found a few packtowels for around 3 bucks) don't work much better than my bandana anyway and look pretty stupid wrapped around your head… ;-) All in my humble opinion…

sheila o
    BPL Member

@bumpass

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /

If you go on eBay, you can get a generic version of the "Buff" for 5.00…it is very versile….I'm quite impressed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools