Topic

Modified Coleman Xtreme Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modified Coleman Xtreme Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Bill writes:

>> I don’t know of any of the ultra-light “sit on the canister stoves” that has a pre-heat tube. No pre-heat tube/loop or what ever and you would not get the benefit of the PowerMax fuel. I think.

Sure. The benefit of such a connector would be for remote-style canister stoves with a pre-heat tube — like MSR’s Windpro, for example. My point is that if Coleman were to produce a Lindal-Powermax adapter, somebody would mistakenly use it on a stove without a pre-heat tube, like the sit-on-tops you mentioned.

Cheers,

-Mike

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Craig,

A bit earlier today I called Coleman (1-800-835-3278) and spoke to a Cust Srv Rep. He told me, while the PowerMax cylinders are difficult to find, they 1) can be found in many local sporting good stores (I found them several miles away at a “The Sports Authority” store, but the local Wal-Mart has never carried them), and 2) Coleman has no intention, that this Rep was aware of, of discontinuing manufacture and sale of them.

If the PowerMax cylinders cannot be found locally, they can be purchased directly from Coleman – but only by the case (12 cylinders per case) for $2.99 per cylinder. A case is, therefore, ~$36 plus a $25 per case hazardous materials transport charge. In my case, this is only a bit more than I can find them locally – viz. $3.99 per cylinder, so, ~$48 per 12 plus ~$6 sales tax for a ~$7.xx difference in price buying locally versus buying direct from Coleman.

Hope this info helps.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Paul,

I’m glad Coleman isn’t discontinuing them and it is just my local Walmart that is discontinuing them. They cost $2.50 a cylinder and I’ve stocked up on them. I might go back in a couple of weeks and see if they dropped the clearance price further.

Craig Shelley

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

How hard would it be for someone with no real experience working on stoves besides a couple of simple alcohol stoves to build a Balrog stove?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Jason,
    The short answer is Yes, but you need a few parts from one or more other stoves.
    1. – Do you have any canisters type stoves?
    2. – If yes, what kind do you now have?

The materials necssary are not hard to find and didn’t cost much. The Aluminum rod came from a Hobby Shop where they sell Radio Control cars and planes. You will need a few small tools but first things first. Answer the two questions for me and we can go from there.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

I currently have a brunton crux. But if I needed to purchase a Xtreme plus some other parts even an additional windpro, it would not be out of the question.

Oh and Thank you very much :-)

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

I just picked up a coleman extreme stove. What else do I require, or what do I need to do next.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

From Jason:
    “I just picked up a coleman extreme stove. What else do I require, or what do I need to do next?”

Jason, How far do you want to go as you reduce the weight of your Xtreme?

I would start out like pictured here. This will give you a good weight reduction without milling the control assembly.
    Stock Stove:

Stage One Modificatiom but with the Stock Burner Head. Burner Head shown is from a Coleman F1 Ultra-Light.

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Sounds like a good place to start. Thanks

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb-1

JETBOILで400ccの水を沸かしたら、この自作ストーブ(Φ10)では

約1分14秒でした。ストーブ本体は20gです。真鍮パイプ製です

Ssimg_0023

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb-1

Ssimg_0777

BPLから購入した、チタン製のスタンドを利用しています

さらに低いスタンドでも

自作したΦ10ブタンガスストーブは、充分に機能しています

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

This thread covered the Xtreme Stove about everyway possible.

I will look through the thread and see if the adapter is shown here someplace and if not I will add a few pictures of it.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

The Xtreme does not really fold small and the gas line is not made to take on and off. The Adaper is just over 3 inches along its longest line.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Bill,

In this post:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=1608&startat=45

How hard was it to remove the hose from the valve assembly? I've got a badly kinked hose on a good stove that I want to replace with a good hose from a "parts only" stove that I'm cannibalizing. See also http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27412

What type of tools are needed to replace a hose? Anything special? I just have common household hand tools.

HJ

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Just Wow,

Incredible work. I like the latest designs with the folding legs. A tiny, light, well packing cyclinder.

I couldn't help but wonder if there's a similar thread on the modding the MSR Dragonfly. I love the stove but don't use it much because of the weight and bulk. I've gone so far as to mod the legs to make them removeable, but that's as far as I've gotten with it.

So far have not found a similar thread for it.

rekih

@rekih

Jim- do you have a stove leg you could sell me? I stepped on my extreme stove and broke it. I need the leg that attaches in the lowest position. Thanks, Slugbait

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I'm not sure. I may not cannibalize my "parts" stove after all. Apparently, moving the fuel hose from one stove to another is not an easy thing.

Let me take a look when I get home tonight and see what I've got in my Coleman "X" box.

HJ

lee jumbellic

@lenapelee

steped on my stove and broke bottom leg coleman discontinued make spare legs according to their web site. anyone have an idea where i can get a spare (bottom one) leg or even a new stove. checked e-bay to no avail.

lee jumbellic

@lenapelee

any chance you have an extra bottom leg from the origional stove? I broke mine and cannot find a replacement coleman discontinued them

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Weird. The bottom leg on one of my Xtremes is broken too. I wonder if the bottom leg is particularly vulnerable. I checked to see if the legs are interchangeable, but each leg is unique. I wired mine back together. It works, but I wouldn't ever take it on a hard core trip.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Viewing 21 posts - 101 through 121 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools