Topic

Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Podcast: Light in the Wild with Monte Dolack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Nice print! I wonder who the contemplative figure overlooking the background vista is…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Looks like that figure is wearing a Tilley LTM5…hmmmm

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

There's a tarp pitched, yet he's carrying a pack and appears to have poles in his hands. He must be visiting another ultralighter. It's an interesting combination of trees as well–a huge krumholtz lodgepole and tiny spruce.

It does appear to capture the essential qualities of ultralight–I like the minimum of "gear" and the smallness of "man".

He appears to be camped out of the valley/lake basin so he's made a good choice for camping.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Kevin, note that the hiker is holding one trekking pole, the other is holding up the front of the tarp and the rear of the tarp is hidden from view so one can only assume that the rear of the tarp is attached to a durable tree or rock.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Nice interview and explanation. I'm already looking for a good space on my wall for the poster.

Here's a link to Friedrich's Wanderer painting that Monte discussed…
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/friedrich/friedrich.wanderer-sea-fog.jpg

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

How about a bigger image of the painting so we can see the detail?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have too many podcasts to listen to, so I am going to ask why BPL has chosen to commission artwork.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Ken,

There is a proliferation of wildlife and landscape art available for people interested in decorating their living and working spaces with fine art. Many of us whom have this desire would also like to see a bit of ourselves reflected in the wild places that are the subject of such art, as we like to consider ourselves a small part of the places we visit.

Backpacking Light chose Mr. Dolack because viewing a Dolack painting is not unlike the introspective view you have upon waking up in a wild place.

– Sam

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Thanks for the larger image!

Dave T

@davet

Lewis Martin
    BPL Member

@mrtymrtn

Locale: Sierra Nevadas Golden Trout W

Received my signed poster today! All I can say is WOW. The pic on the website does not do it justice. You have to see the real thing. I can't wait to get it framed and on my wall. I have a space right over the fireplace for it. My compliments to Monte Dolack, and Backpackinglight for doing the print. I was worried after I ordered it, that I wouldn't like it, but when I opened it, it took my breath away.
    Many Thanks to Monte and BPL!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools