Topic

REFUGE X CUBEN OUT !!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REFUGE X CUBEN OUT !!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Like David, I've been torn between the One and the Cuben Refuge. I didn't know there were plans to make the One in Cuben and I just ordered the Refuge X. Oh well, I really wanted a new one-person tent this year so I might not have been willing to wait anyway. It is nice to see tent makers start using this stuff. I'm agree with David, the One has a bunch of really nice features that the Refuge lacks.

Ulrika Dahlin

@ulrika

I remember when cracking the 2 pound barrier for a tent/tarptent was amazing, 13.5 oz for a cuben version of The One and the 16 oz version of the Refuge really shows how far we have come.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Kenneth,

First, I've had a Squall Classic for a long time with many trips. I've had the Refuge for just one trip now and my observations are based only on this. A full review of the Refuge will be coming later- but my review of the Squall Classic can be found on this site. With this in mind, here is my quick analysis:

Benefits of the Squall Classic- bathtub floor, slightly lighter (vs. a silnylon Refuge), Spinnaker doesn't stetch as much when wet, lower profile, catenary ridge makes for an easy taut pitch, requires only 4 stakes (2 more optional), interior pockets

Benefits of the Refuge- way more interior space to sit up, will fit a very tall hiker (much like the Squall Classic), increased ventilation due to large triangular vents near the top, can pitch to the ground which decreases rain splash, integrated floor raises up on sides (partly negating the need to have a bathtub floor), side entry door (a preference thing), requires 6 stakes (2 more for side pull-outs, no need for a rear hoop pole

For me, it comes down to interior space. In the Squal Classic, one person can sit up. In the Refuge, I think 4 adults could sit up and play cards. You may lose some wind stability but you gain storm protection (rain splash, blowing rain or snow).

I love my Squall Classic but right now, I'm thinking that the Refuge will become my first choice for two person, three season backpacking. But field testing has only begun! My full review will lkely include some new revelations. It will also include field testing of the Cuben Refuge X as well.

My review's timeline is not set yet- likely mid summer. Until then, best of luck with your decision!

Doug

Kenneth Puentes

@pue397

Locale: Southern California

Doug:

Thanks for the insight,
    -Ken

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

A 13.5 oz "One"? Woah! Wow. Amazing. I wonder what the price would be!!!! Gasp. Almost worth it though. That's just 4 oz. heavier than the SpinnShelter… which is just a floorless shaped tarp (and my solo shelter of choice for the past 2 years).

BTW… good point above about Cuban being a reasonable fabric for shelters (but not so much for packs). It is super strong… and much less prone to being punctured (that fabric's Achilles heal).

Considering that this fabric needs to be sealed in order to have strong seams, it would be nice if the manufactures did it. You just can't do as neat a job as a factory job and a factory job might save a few grams too versus a DIY job.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

David…
    The seams on Cuben/Spectralite tarps and tents are already sealed since tape of the same material covers each sewn seam. Completely waterproof and very strong, in addition to being very light.

Nicolas ROBERT

@_nico_

Doug Johnson said : "I used the Refuge this last week (silnylon version) and it offers an amazing usable space and features for the weight"

Hello,

Firstly, sorry for my poor english, I do my best but I'm not a native speaker and it's difficult for me to write in english (I'm French) …

I'm looking for a 2 person shelter for alpine use essentially. Does the mesh side widen the shelter when sleeping or do you really have only 48" wide ? Is it really enough (comfortable while sleeping) for 2 people + gear ? No risk to damage the mesh side (stitchings) if laying on it ?

And what about stability in high winds ???

I hope this is understandable ;o)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> And what about stability in high winds ???
    The current design is not really meant for that.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools