Topic

Alcohol Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

RE: Barney and Fred. Yep, as a gearhead, I have about 14 cook sets – of all descriptions and handles. I’m not a*mazed*, just be*wildered*. And having made and tested every burner I’ve run across, I have not found closed top burners to be ‘safer, faster or more fun.’ More fun?

Anonymous

Well if you haven’t maybe you should have someone else make them for you. Because it is well documented that they are hotter more stable burning and much more efficient –when constructed properly–i am not trying to win a contest here, just state the facts and the handle on the pot is more of an improvement than the stove

Anonymous

Tinny, is that you?

John austin

@tinny

Anonymous is that you?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Careful, boys and girls: Flaming over stoves is a waste of time.

John austin

@tinny

deleted

Anonymous

I just can’t see myself out in the wilderness with nothing to cook on but a stove designed for kids and a beer can with a piece of wire for a handle

Anonymous

yes you can buy a new can –but not while you are in the wood backpacking so you had better take good care of the one you have until you reach civilization. The best setup would be a handle that just snapped on firmly and could be removed and placed inside the pot. One that is insulated,comfortable and offeres good support,and is super light.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

“The best setup would be a handle that just snapped on firmly and could be removed and placed inside the pot. One that is insulated,comfortable and offeres good support,and is super light.”

That’s what I have actually. It snaps on… it stows in the pot… it offers great support and it weighs 10 grams. I’ve tried it on trail and I love it. Works great. It doesn’t need insulation since it doesn’t get hot… probably because it’s so far from the flame. But you know… to each his own. It’s no big deal. I was just sharing the solution I came up with. I don’t use that grabber for sipping from the can… just for picking it up and pouring… and it works extremely well for that. If I wanted to make hot drinks, I would just bring along a reflectix cozy. And if I had the tools to make a handle like the mini bull cans, I’d experiement with that too. But I do like the packability of my wire can grabber.

As for the can getting damaged away from cvililzation… that’s the risk you take with any can pot. One of the things we give up with ultralight is durability. If I were going on a long thru hike, I’d probably switch to an MSR Titan kettle.

John austin

@tinny

I like the idea and will probably make a few, if i can find some fairly stiff wire. I estemate i will need about 16 inches to make one? I would use it to hang onto while eating out of the pot and drinking so i will want it padded to protece my hands and make it comfy. I find that comfortable things get used alot more. I think i can just tightly wrap some flame proof wick around each side of the handle and not mess up the lock or add much weight. I have been using NO#84 rubber bands for a lip guard. They don’t melt like the silicone bracelets but smell odd. Thanks—Tinny–

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Tinny,
    Personally, I don’t like to heat anything but water in a beer can because of the difficulty of cleaning it — taking care of the old GI track.
    A cut-off Platypus works well as a cup and as a water scoop for dipper springs. However, it also has hard-to-clean folds. And you have to use them two-handed. Recently, I’ve been using Ziploc’s 8 oz. storage cups. They weigh the same as a cut-off Platypus (0.6 oz) and clean up well. An insulating foam band keeps them hot in cool weather.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I have some of their cups with the lids (I assume you are talking about the dark blue ones?)

I tend to eat soup out of a bowl out of habit but one of those cups might work well too…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I use the Orikaso cup and bowl. They fold flat for storage and are very easy to clean. for me they are well worth the extra 2oz.

In one of the pictures you can see my home made Titanium long handle spoon. It weighs 0.29oz.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Bill,
    I got the Red kit for my birthday… pretty sweet looking

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I have a couple of sets of each color. The Red is nice. The picture shows the Red cup with the handle part folded under.

To bad you really can’t fold and refold Titanium. I would get a piece and fold it into a cook pot, use it to boil my water and then unfold it and use it as a frame sheet or something. Etc – Etc – Etc.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

that’d be a hell of a multi-use item…

of course, I’ve been braingstorming for a while on how to use one of the 321 Stainless Foil Bags that mcmaster carr sells into a foldable bag/pot…

John austin

@tinny

cleaning the beer can pot is not easy but if you don’t burn on anything and wash it as soon as you finish it is ok. I had not seen this plastic plate pot thing before

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Vick,I stopped eating out of a beer can for the same reason. Now I just heat water in a Heineken can, using one of Tinny’s stoves, the Elite, and rehydrate and eat meals out of a Orikaso bowl. I do use the Heineken can for drinking tea. I like the Orikaso bowl because it’s light (1.2 oz.),easy to pack, easy to clean, and durable.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

The folding bowls look sweet.

???Has anyone tried a folding woodburner on the same orgami principle using something like oven liner??? Is there any such thing as stainless steel foil in a gauge similar to oven liner? (I suspect aluminum would burn up too quickly.) One can imagine an open ended and open topped box (think shoe box)with the closed end 3-4 inches higher to serve as a 3-sided chimney. The pot would serve as the 4th side. Tent stakes through the sides could support the pot (the foil could be folded to form a tripple thickness for the pot supports. Properly designed, it should fold into a flat square and erect naturally.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Risk’s Windscreen Forge

Yeah, risk has… well, it’s round rather than sqaure… but the idea is sound…

and you can get foil thickness SS from mcmastercarr.com

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

that’s purtier than a spotted pup in a painted wagon.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Thanx

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I just checked Tinny’s site http://www.minibulldesign.com and the SST is up and ready for sales. I just put my order in. Same postage price as usual and a reasonable price of $8 for the stove. I’m sure with this kind of technology he could probably get away with charging more but hey who am I to complain on a bargain. I look foward to watching my friends taking the extra few minutes to boil their water whilst I’m already enjoying my meal.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools