Topic

Alcohol Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Here’s the best instructions I’ve seen on the net yet.

Homemade Alcohol Stove

Anonymous
    Inactive

I Agree Zen Stoves Is The Ultimate Source For Information Regarding Homemade Stoves, Simmering Rings, Heineken Can Pots, Wind Screens, Pot Stands And More!

http://zenstoves.net/

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

ryu3

This stove is called “IKAROS”.
    This is the alcoholic stove made for the first time.
    About two empty cans which made the hole, it is completion in piles. 15g of super-light weights and the cheap (no charge) method of making of making easily are put on another thread.
    “Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove”

John austin

@tinny

This is old –old–old technology and not a very good example of what alcohol can do. To see the latest and simplest design go to–http://www.minibulldesign.com/video/sst.wmv

and watch this jetboil home project video clip–oh turn down your speakers first this baby is loud!!!!!!!!!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi John, It is hard enough for some of us to communicate in English let alone in another language. The computer translation of Japanese to English leaves a lot to be desired. Your rudness is surprising.

What Yukio is trying to say is that this stove would be a good one to start with as it isn’t as hard to make as some of the others.

He isn’t trying to sell anything and just likes to make small stoves and has been very open in sharing his ideas with us.

I hope a moderator will remove your message and if they do, they can remove this one also.

John austin

@tinny

This was not meant to be a slam or personal. It is just the truth.Alcohol stoves have come out of the dark ages and are much better built now as well as much easier to construct. The stove he suggest as a starter is actually quite hard to build and a very poor performer. I really don’t want people to think that this is what alcohol sodacan stoves are about. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but the truth is the truth.

John austin

@tinny

Also this reply was to RE: alcohol stove. At the top of the page not RE: alcohol,Esbit,wood,solar,you name it.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Hi John

Given that you appear to own minibull designs is it appropriate for you to be – apparently, and forgive me if I am taking this the same way – touting them? If I recall correctly this same issue arose with some of your posts on The Lightweight Backpacker a while ago.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

John, I got to your web site by dropping the (/video/sst.wmv) from your link. Not hard to figure out.

The thing I noticed about your first post was that I didn’t see a connection to the “Make Your Own Gear” Forum. You have a nice short video on your web site that shows how to make a soda can stove “MiniBull n 3” as 3 minutes. This I think would have been more appropriate to this thread. I enjoyed the video and went on to look at everything else on your site.

That is how I found the picture with the Spam can in it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Personally I don’t feel John’s crossed any line and was just sharing the results of a “New Idea” and bringing with it a breath of fresh air. I thought that this what this Forum was all about.

Its Funny how nobody complained when we went through over a solid week of “Cozy Postings” and the Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove posting have degraded at one time to the point of swapping pictures of Tea Gardens. I for one subscribed to BPL for the reason of learning about the latest techniques and equipment related to Light Weight Backpacking.

Point is John’s just a garage inventor like many of us that also just happens to build and sells alcohol stoves as a home business. He’s willing share information that could benefit most of us with this new “jet-boil home project” which by the way the video was very impressive and there was no mention of it being for sale.

John austin

@tinny

Thank you Roger you echo exactly what I was thinking. I have in the past been very aggressive in pushing people to visit my website. I however did not even think about it when posting this video link and made no mention of the site or any attempt to sell. I was quite excited about the stove and just wanted and still do want people to see it. I guess I have made a few enemies along the path to success and that is haunting me a bit–but I did sell alot of stuff along the way. Just for the record almost all of my sales are for custom one of a kind stuff made to order and usually the orders come from people seeing it on my adventure area of my website. The Heineken pot with lid and handle is the item of the moment and custom built to order.–Tinny—

John austin

@tinny

If you can figure a way for me to share this video with people of like interest without the word minibull being in the hiperlink–that by the way does not go to anywhere but just opens a windows media file for a short video with no mention of me or minibull. Then educate me. Or should I keep all this info to myself and just set on it?—http://www.minibulldesign.com/video/sst.wmv

John austin

@tinny

Well maybe you didn’t notice it is all made from recycled cans by hand. Now maybe this doesn’t have anything to do with making your own gear but I think it does. I think it is obvious to anybody that this is exactly what making your own gear is about. Sometimes if you really don’t like sombody it can blurr your judgment and make you say things that just don’t make sense. This would be one of those times!!

http://www.minibulldesign.com/video/sst.wmv

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

You might say that posting a picture or a short video is “old –old–old technology”. There are many ways to set-up a blind site for this. You might check with whoever set-up your web site.

I am removing this link as I am not sure it complies with Ryan’s rules.

John austin

@tinny

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

gone

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey John,

Everything else aside… I want to know what the deal is with that roaring alcohol stove. Does it boil water faster? What’s the secret? Have you come up with something new and/or revolutionary? I can’t really tell anything from the video… it’s just a noisy stove as far as I can tell.

So I was clicking around on your site and I see you’re from Maine!!! Cool! :)

p.s. the video post didn’t seem like a clear violation to *ME*… but I guess it did to Ryan… and that’s the important thing. This site is a great resource and we should all respect the rules of the house. Again tho’… it didn’t seem like a clear violation to me since the jetboil thing is not an actual product. I guess it’s just because you are in the business of selling stoves… so real product or not… you got nailed by proxy :P

Forum Admin

@forummp

John, David, and others:

John isn’t being singled out, I hope it’s not coming across that way. We are clamping down a bit due to some recent abuses, that was no fault of John’s.

Bottom line is this: if you post a link, provide some value with it. Don’t use it as a troll / signature to drive traffic to your site. This is a very common internet tactic in forums. You may not be intentionally doing this, but we can’t read your intentions behind the computer, hence the conservative policy, to keep the forums as commercial free as possible.

Further, if you are going to advance claims about one of your products, please back it up with more info.

Commercial posts are ok at BPL under certain circumstances, but they have their places, and won’t be moderated (within reason) if you post links here:

• Gear Swap
  • On the Web
  • Chaff

John’s new to our forums, he’s a cottage manufacturer that offers something to contribute to our community, let’s cut him some slack as he makes his way around.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

ForumPolice. cute. hmm….but…it’s a bit like Anonymous, isn’t it? At least, you’re BPL Staff, right? If not, you’ll probably get some of the same responses from others that Anon’s do. can understand though why you wouldn’t want to draw any ‘heat’ or offend anyone.

my guess is that you’re Dr. J. he has a very good sense of humor.

ForumMP. real cute. i, for one, am smiling.

thanks for the clarification on policy.

not too long ago, edited a headlamp review, removed a link to a website that can provide inexpensive coin cell batteries for the headlamp being reviewed. have nothing to do with the website (other than being a customer for ~2.5yrs). thinking now that it might have been ‘ok’ to leave the link in? care to clarify, please?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

perhaps Sgt. Rock has been enlisted for this combat role ? stand up straight everybody. and no sniveling!

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Roger That! Hoo-aah!

>>”Sgt. Rock”
M.P.

Kevin, you might be on to something. good observation. either that, or Sgt. Rock is whipping the “snivellers” in Bozeman into shape. (mean no offense “snivellers”, i’m sure y’all could run me into the ground – even given a head start!).

maybe they should start a pool? first one to guess right gets one of BMW’s new shelters or packs?

John austin

@tinny

have a nice day

John austin

@tinny

Post deleted

John austin

@tinny

post deleted

John austin

@tinny

post deleted

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools