Topic

Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

This is going to be fun. Can't hardly wait!!

Alan Marcum

@ammpilot

Locale: SF Bay Area

Try Lake Alpine, just east of Bear Valley ski area on Highway 4. You'll need a SnoPark pass, and you'll park just about at the road closure before Ebbetts Pass.

Though this is a popular area for snowmobilers, a) they leave as the sun sets, b) they're not along where you'd be camping, and c) it's not too difficult to get to the Carson-Iceburg Wilderness. There's some absolutely lovely scenery in the area.

From the parking area, it's about 1/4 mile or so to the first reasonable camping location, about 1 1/2 miles to another, and then another mile or so to the wilderness boundary.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Alan,
    Changing things now wouldn't really work since everything is trying to be set in stone for as long as possible so there are no new loops thrown in.

You should maybe get a trip coordinated to there in a few months?

Or even better, join us for this trip.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

been to that area many times both during winter and summer. Beautiful area. Lake Alpine is gorgeous in the winter. Nice suggestion but yep on this one it is Yosemite

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Lets exercise some UL strategies: anyone interested in teaming up to consolidate some of the gear, e.g. I have a two person MHW Twin Peak, a white-gas stove for melting snow, a shovel; maybe we don't need to bring our own shovel, or our own stoves. I'll carry the shovel, you carry the stove, we'll split the fuel. Maybe someone wants to share a two person tarp/tent (granted you don't snore. I don't… i guess i can wear ear-plugs).

?

-Michael

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Michael.
    I think just meeting in the Lodge and getting together and having a gear ditching, (I now don't need this or that) party before we head off will work.

Well you guys wanted a winter trip and it sure looks like we got one.
    It's not like it hasn't not snowed every freakin day the whole month any way.
    Looking like low at night will also be from 0* to 10*.

On the good side, light wind…

That would literally blow with high winds up on the ledge.
    Oh well, “Cheers”.
    I'll bring the Vodka.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

So our weekend is almost upon us. I'm getting really psyched. How many people are going? Where are we meeting and what time? Ken and his wife can't come so I'll be driving myself.Looks like the weather will be O.K. See you at the snow.
    Josh

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Josh,
    Meeting place and time has been posted for the past week or two.
    8:30 am at the Badger Lodge so we can start hiking by 9:00.

I hope others see this before they leave.
    I know it's going to take a little longer to get up there witht the recent snow, so even though we are driving up Friday night, I will be waiting at the Lodge at 8:30 but will give everybody an extra hour for the drive time, so we won't be getting ready to hike until 10:00 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools