Topic

Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

No problem,
    The more the merrier!!!

doug colacicco

@fangtooth

Locale: ventana wilderness

wow good thread going lots of interest good group yeah josh pine valley is the sierra of the coast its great i try to trek once a month at least in the winter as far as snow theres not enough for snow shoes but it sounds like you have a good trip begining for the real snow yeah i'm always open for a trek with others but i'm not set up for snow camping yet something to think about doug

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

This is exciting. I've yet to be out with any UL'ers; we can see what piece of gear is represented the most. I don't yet see a concrete date appearing, but lots of interest. I can reach almost any destination around Yosemite and any date you guys settle upon (being single and your own boss helps). I was in the snow at Dewey twice last year for my first season of snow camping. While I'd prefer to have a few pieces of lighter gear ready before the trip, I can make do with what I've got.

Keep me looped.

michaelATdepletedDOTnet

-Michael

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

O.K.,

As of now the date is for the 3rd weekend of Jan.

However; 2 people that really want to go can not on that weekend. With that, someone threw out to have it on the 1st weekend of FEB.

Unless I hear back a unanimous decision to have it switched to the 1st weekend of FEB, or 1 or more person'(s) that really want to go can not go the 1st weekend of Feb, then the date for the 3rd weekend of Jan will stay.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Actually, I'd also prefer the alternate date for the 1st weekend of Feb. I'm totally on board but have plans to be in Sequoia National Monument on the 3rd weekend of Jan. If it looks like Jan is becoming the best window for the majority, I'll hook up with you all next time around.

Thanks for coordinating this, I'm very excited.

Cheers,
    -Michael

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I spoke with Aaron and Josh on the phone, since Aaron doesn't have internet access today, he asked me to post that we are going on the 3rd week in January for this trip.
    My apologies to those who can't make it that weekend. Maybe it will work out another time, there seems to be a great deal of interest in having an easy way to hookup for future trips.

We are planning to drive up on Fri (1/18) and start early Sat (1/19)from Badger Pass. Hike, snowshoe in about 4 miles.

Some of us have Monday off and are planning to finish at the bottom of the Mist Trail on Monday with a car shuttle, others are planning to go back out the way they came in on Sunday.

Later, hope this works out; eager to hit the trail

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I just came back from a three day trip out of Badger Pass. The coverage is acceptable but off of the groomed trails it's poorly consolidated and tough travel. This will change significantly with the upcoming storms. The route along Glacier point road is groomed for ski skating, the side trails (to Dewy Point, Ostrander Lk. etc.) are generally groomed by other users pretty quickly after any storm. Avalanche risk on any of these trails is very low.

It is 10.5 miles to Glacier Point from Badger Pass and an additional 10.6 miles to the Valley. If you cut off the road at Mono Meadow it's 4 miles then another 10 to the valley. (The JMT is closed due to avalanche and icefall risk just below Nevada Falls and above Clark Point). If open, the mist trail is pretty steep in snow or ice conditions.

I think a trip out of Badger Pass–especially to Dewy Point–is a great first choice for snow camping. There are two routes–the ridge route (turn left about 3/4 of a mile from Badger Pass just after cresting a small saddle–there was no sign marking the trail on the left) and the meadow route (about 1/3 mile further on your left just past the bathroom). The meadow route is slightly shorter and easier. Both are marked with bright orange signs on the trees–route 14 and 18. The views from Dewy Point are outstanding!!

Have fun.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Thanks Kevin, Dewey Point sounds great. The Mist is out.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Well,

Now there at least 4 of the 6 or 7 going can not go on the 3rd weekend of Jan so it looks like the trip will have to be postponed until the 1st weekend of Feb.

I'll keep everyone posted and notified asap on what happens.

I’m sure with this storm coming in there will still be plenty of snow to make it a great trip.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Dewey on a clear day

not so clear (in fact, freezing rain)

pre-UL days. Did I really carry that pack!?!?

I'm glad the Mist Trail was called off. After Kevin's reminder of the trail conditions, I got to thinking of my own experiences there in good conditions, and it seemed "challenging" in the winter.

One thought: Dewey from Badger is 4-5 miles and we'll plow through that fast, leaving a lot of static time in the winter air. An early start will get us out before the crowds (the trail is popular), but it will also leave us with more standing around time. There's probably plenty of day hike exploration to do to keep warm, just wanted to put the thought out there.

I'm very much looking forward to actually meeting you all!

-Michael

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hello everyone,

Well I know of at least 4 that can not go the 3rd weekend of Jan now.

So well go for 1st weekend of Feb to Dewey.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

This trip is still on.
    I am going to send out emails to everyone interested before.

There should be at least 5+ and even up to 7-8 of us going.

This is a BLP Community trip to get to know each other in the central California area, so speak up if you want to go.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I am able to go that fist weekend in Feb. I will try to call Josh and ask if he can. My wife is wanting to go to. Should be fun. Pleae keep me in the loop folks I am in. Just to Dewey Pt. Right?

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

There are snowshoes for rent at the Badger Pass resort but I would highly recommend against it. I resorted (haha, pun) to that on one trip and learned just how bad a shoe design could be. I mean, it's a good learning experience too. Otherwise, you may never truly know how great those NorthernLites really are.

here in LA, REI and A16 rent out the MSR Denali and Denali Ascents. Really good shoes for this trip and maybe only $12-15 for the weekend. If anyone needs any help with a rental, I could take care of it and you can give me a check when we meet up. Or Paypal me if yer a no show. Let me know in advance so I can secure the rental; there's a Outdoorclub.org snowshoe trip planned at Mt Pinos that same weekend, and that's all it takes for the stock to rent out.

-Michael

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Hey y'all, I'm in. Should be a good chance to meet some good folks.
    Josh

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

ahhh Josh ya saw the light. Cool. More the merrier!!

Who is bringing the single malt scotch?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Josh, my wife and myself are all in. Aaron what is the count on this. Are we going up Friday or meeting early Sat. I can leave Monterey around three-ish pm on Friday and can get to Yosemite around 7-8. Or is it easier to meet at Badger at say 8-9 am on Saturday? Dunno. Sent you a pm. We are in. This should be fun!!!! Question. I am looking to network per se to meet some folks that would like to do more snow trips as well as some fun Sierra fun trips (on and off trail stuff) this summer. What is the list so far?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Point of order: Scotch is a blend of whiskeys, single malt *is* whiskey.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Rog you are correct! My fingers go faster than my brain!! Ummm I am a wine and spirits sales rep. and should catch myself on those fine things. God forbid I'd drink a "blend". LOL.

Good one (meant in a NICE jokingly way)…

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Some Irish blends are good, but most scotches are a bit, errm, rough. I'm enjoying a Glen Grant single malt as I type.

Cheers!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dunno I go for Hylands and Speyside's myself. Just like drinking wine. That is why one night out of a trip I make sure to bring a Lil Nipper to enjoy some mellowing drinking whilst watching alpineglow.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Josh is in! How was the weather at Sykes on Sunday night?

Ken, I'm hoping you'll enlighten us with some fine spirits.

If anyone plans to drive up Friday night, let me know and we'll coordinate. The lodge at Badger Pass is a good, central location. Say, 8AM in the cafeteria. I'm sure we'll stand out with all the UL gear but wear your BPL sticker for good measure. ::grin::

-Michael

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

The Glen Grant is very pale and lacks the bite of the peaty island malts like Talisker and Laphroig, but hey, I got 36oz for $18 in Andorra so I'm not complaining. Would have been the equivalent of $75 in the UK!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey everyone,
    So far I have got a definite from:

1. Josh
    2. Possible 2 more
    4. Michael S
    6. Michael P
    7. Anthony W
    8. Roger A
    9. Me

I have a should be going from:

1. Dylan T
    2. Michael B. (a friend of mine)
    3. Joshua

People I haven't heard anything from yet that I know are interested in going are:

1. Andrew Z

I have sent BPL messages to everyone listed here so if you are not on the definite list and are going please let us know.

I will be up there Friday night and can take 2 more for who needs a ride up there.

I would think that if there are people that can not make it until Saturday morning that they are there by 8:30 am at the Badger Lodge so we can start hiking by 9:00.

You can email me (aarondotwdotsorensenatuscg.mil) or just send me a BPL msg.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Aaron count me out, I can't go that weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools