Topic

Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter trip suggestions around within 4 hrs of bay area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I would like to try out winter camping in the snow. I don't want to hike very far the first few times and I don't want to drive too far as I can only get away for 1-2 nights.Also, I don't want extreme conditions. Maybe desolation or Yosemite. I will be snowshoeing and tent camping.Any cool places you all would like to suggest would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Josh
    Also if anyone is planning a mellow trip to the snow and would like some company or if you would like to go with me on my trip, let me know.

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

hey josh,

sounds like you and i live in the same town so lets do a trip to the sierras this winter.

i just got a pair of backcountry skis that i will want to use. but i could always use my snowshoes too though.

desolation would be cool, or anywhere in the tahoe basin. yosemite, though, is closer. and there are some good spots to camp there too.

can you cross country ski at all?

Dave T

@davet

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Hey Dylan and Dave,
    Thanks for the interest.I would love to go. Like I said, I have never been snow camping so I don't want to go far. Maybe 4-5 miles max for starters ,but this can be discussed. I just got a western mountaineering Lynx -10* sleeping bag and a exped down mat 9 so I think I will sleep plenty warm, but I don't know how my body will react to the low temps. I can't wait to try it though, it looks so fun to be camping in the snow. Dylan, we do live in the same area. It would be good to meet you.Desolation sounds nice. My wife's mom lives in Tahoe so she can visit and we can camp. I never have skied though I would like to try sometime. I am getting some northern lites rescue snow shoes. I would like talk gear more in depth later.Lets go soon.
    From,Josh

Dave T

@davet

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey guys,
    If there's room for more, I'm game.

I think we (BPL'ers) should cordinate trips in different areas of the US about every 2 months or so.
    I am going to hit a new forum about this right now.

It would be quite easy to do this around the bay area.
    Aaron

doug colacicco

@fangtooth

Locale: ventana wilderness

hey guys have you thought of winter trek into ventana wilderness to pine valley or pat springs?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Dear Aaron, I don't see why not. Nothing has been planned yet, though.This thread just started a couple of days ago. I say lets do it.
    Doug, I just went to Pine Valley two weekends before Christmas. There was a little snow at the trail head and the pine trees were covered with ice. It was amazing. Pine Valley camp itself didn't have snow but lots of frost. It got cold at night,25*.I got pretty cold because I didn't have a good sleeping bag. How much snow is at pine valley or pat springs?Would it be good for snow shoeing? I'm guessing that the snow doesn't stick that long but i don't know.By the way, I love Ventana. I've been to Sykes,Pine Valley,and cone peak. What are some other must see areas in ventana.
    Thanks,Josh

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

There are so many fantastic winter camping destinations within a few hours of the Bay Area. A few more ideas:

– Carson Pass (Winnemucca Lake, Round Top, Carson pass to the south, Little Round Top, Showers Lake to the north)
    – Castle Peak or Loch Leven Lakes off of I-80
    – Lassen National Forest or Volcanic National Park a bit further north
    – Can't go wrong with Desolation or Yosemite
    – June Lake and many other lesser-known destinations of of Route 50, 88, and other less-traveled areas

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

looks like the storm corridor has been opened and the snow is falling up in the sierras.

looks like another storm is coming in next week.

i do have one concern and its this: the snow that just fell and created the main base layer is really light from the cold temps. depending on what type of snow this next storm brings, there could be a real chance of avalanches out there. i would want to wait a least a week or so to let it settle.

but aside from that, maybe the last weekend of january?

as far as people go, the more the merrier in the winter.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

If you will have one more I'd love to hit the trails anywhere you choose it all sounds good to me.

I hiked to Pat Springs and Doublecone last year and would love to go back or Vincente Flats and Cone Peak are fun this time of year. (brightest stars I've ever seen in my life)

I was in Yosemite last week and the snow was slushy during the day.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Vicente Flats is a 5 mile hike from the sea to a private grove of redwoods. There were fallen trees to step over but mostly level slightly up hill once you get past the initial switchbacks, about 2100 feet elevation gain. Cone peak is a good day hike for the 2nd day, it's 6000 feet and the highest coastal peak in the lower 48.

Pat Springs is closer to 8 miles. But either trip can be done by a beginner and will satisfy those with more experience as well.

Anyway keep me in the loop, [email protected]

later,
    Tony

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

My vote is to park in the Badger ski parking lot and go North above the southern Rim of Yosimite.

I'm game for any other spot though, especially since I have not been to any of them, (other than Desolation).

As long as it's before mid Feb, I don't care what the date is but I will need at least 2 weeks time notice to be able to take off for it.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

I am liking what I see. I am glad you all have more experience about snow, I wouldn't have known about the layers of snow and the avalanche danger. Lets decide on a destination. Last weekend in Jan works for me, second weekend does too. Yosemite sounds good and closer than desolation. I'm glad everyone is jonesing for a trip as much as me.
    Josh

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

The rim of Yosemite sounds great! It might be fun to hike in from Badger pass, and then go down the Panarama trail to Nevada Falls and exit down the Giant staircase but we would need a car shuttle at Curry Village. Going down the 4 mile trail is also possible but not nearly as much fun as the mist trail in winter. From the webcam at http://www.yosemite.org there looks to be a fair amount of snow up high.

However I can't go the last week in Jan, the 19th, 20th, 21st works for me or 2/16, 2/17, 2/18th. Otherwise I guess I'm out.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

If there is room for two more my wife and I would love to go. Snowshoe or ski. Since it seems we are from the same area……

Or just myself. I have no partners to snowshoe with!!!!!!!

[email protected]

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Hi Ken, Lets go. Nothing has been solidified yet but it looks like we'll have some fun.Wifey can come too.
    Josh

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Replying to Anthony's forum on a different forum.

Only because I have never been to any of these places.
    I also live in Rio Vista, so going to something like the closest REI to get the maps would be an all day event for me.
    I vote for Joshua as the leader since this is his great idea.

It's looking like the 2nd or 3rd weekend, (some can't go on each), so email me with your vote.

I am offering to drive and have room for 3 more, and I am just pushing along the issue a little faster just in case I need to take it off.

The one thing I'll throw out there is that I'll have the lightest pack. Any takers?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Let's do it guys. If we all suggest a central meeting place we can car pool and save on gas. My situation has to be a weekend situation.

Besides Yosemite, Castle Peaks near Tahoe is alot of fun too. Email all and let's do this. This could be the lightweight central coast club of Backpackinglight!!!!

michelle Annett

@andrewz

I have never gone snow shoeing before, but i have done a lot of camping. Especially in the Yosemite, sierra area. I live in Oakhurst California which is about 20 minutes from the Yosemite gate. If i can get the time off work i wouldn't mind joining you guys. I don't have a lot of exp in snow camping but i have some. If you guys have any questions about Yosemite and snow right now you can ask me. I just got back today from doing a 15 mile trail up above wowana hotel. My email is also

[email protected]

(not sure if i can get the time off but i can try.)

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

I hope you can make it. I am glad so much interest has been expressed.
    Josh

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Yeah Andrew, Oakhurst is right along the way to Yosemite. Please come!! Maybe between all of us we can make this a newbie trip that can be fun and enjoyable. If we keep it on Glacier Point Rd. Avalanche issues won't really exist as long as we head towards Dewey. I have done alot of day trips in this area and it is beautiful. Let's do this!! What do I need to do to get this going?
    K

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

wow, what a response to this thread. best weekend for me will probably be that first weekend in feb.– i think its the 1st thru 3rd. but i can be somewhat flexible (that is, for having a wife and 1 1/2 yr old and full time job!)

i've been to both locales where we are talking about… heres me last winter at the end of glacier point

half dome winter

and then of course vicente flat

big sur

my two cents are to do the yosemite trip and drop down from the route heading out towards glacier point. if so many peeps are going we can easily do a car shuttle. i will ditch my skis and use my somewhat archaic and definitely not ul snowshoes– b/c that looks like (never done it) but a nice little downhill drop into the valley.

it seems like there are lots of trees on that route so avalnches will be less of a concern.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

There we go. Let's make this some fun. It could be a great networking thing where we get to know some others and establish other trips.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not from the Bay Area but would like to join the group snow shoeing Yosemite. I have snowshoe/winter camping experience.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools