Topic

Picture of your complete kitchen set up

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Picture of your complete kitchen set up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I searched for a thread on this and didn't see one. I would be interested in seeing a picture of your complete kitchen set up. I'm curious to see what everyone uses: who uses a separate bowl or cup in addition to their pot, or a sponge for clean up, or separate larger spoon to cook with, or a cutting board, etc. And what does it all weigh. I suspect that everyone has variations based on hiking solo or in a group, in winter or summer, cooking with a stove or going stove less. There are lots of threads on individual pieces, like stoves or pots, but what does your kit look like all together? Here is my summer, solo kit. Weighs 6.75 oz with the smart water bottle.summer kitsummer kit 2

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I use the original Ti-tri and prefer the esbit gram cracker. I have some luxury aspects in my kitchen kit. I love my double walled coffee mug and it holds 16 fluid ounces. I also carry a frying pan that I flip up side down and use 2 rocks to create a way to cook trout wrapped in foil evenly using one esbit cube. The whole set up is 21 ounces. kitchen set I could eliminate the double walled mug and the frying pan easily.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The mix is highly variable, depending on the length of the trip, number of people and the menu. For solo minimalist overnights, a 400ml ti mug, esbit wing stove and a folding ti spoon suffice. With lighter, fuel can, windscreen and a tin can lid, it all packs in the mug for a 5oz kit. Mug kitchen My "fancy" kit uses a canister stove, 600ml pot, a ti mug, a folding spoon, chopsticks and a Snowpeak bowl. I did a blog entry (with requested photos) on my favorite options: https://dalesjournal.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/ultralight-kitchen-gear-for-hikin-and-bikin/

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Here's mine. Not pictured is the small wood spoon I carved myself with the knife I bring with me on trips. I eat and drink out of the pot. It's an aluminum GSI pot to which I added a paint can bail. I do sometimes add a Jurey-design penny stove, Esbit stove, or Optimus Crux canister, especially if it looks like significant wet weather. That's so that I can cook easily under my tarp or while inside my tent with the stove outside. pot over fire

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Below are my two favorite kitchen set ups for 3 season backpacking. Got to test the first set up on two week-long trips and some weekend adventures this summer/fall and it works well and is fast and simple. Includes REI Evernew 0.9L Ti pot, FancyFeast can alcohol stove, foil pot lid, foil wind screen, short spoon, mini BIC lighter and 0.25L Dasani bottle for fuel (small storage sack not shown). Takes 10 minutes to boil 0.5L of water and less than 30mL of alcohol, but not good for simmering. Total weight is 5.6oz, excluding fuel. The second set up is my favorite and I've used it on trips up to 7 days. I'd rather be photographing sunset at the end of the day rather than cooking (maybe I'm just lazy). Kitchen setup 1   No-cook

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Toaks 650 w/ Reflectix Cozy MBD QMH Cup Zelph Starlyte DIY Ti Windscreen and Heat Reflector Custom ZIA Ti Pot Stand Lightload Towel All nest perfectly and weighs 220 grams Cook Kit 4a Cook Kit 2

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Lester- So you're second setup is a piece of laminated birch? What do you do, chop it up and burn it? :) Actually, your first setup is almost identical to mine. I did pick up a roll of aluminum gutter flashing at Home Depot and now I cut that into windscreens as needed rather than use kitchen foil. But same pot, same stove, mini-bic, a recycled PET bottle, a plastic spoon, etc.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

COOK KIT 1096 1097 Trail Designs Caldera Cone 1.8oz Toaks Titanium 550ml Pot 2.7oz REI Spoon 0.4oz Fozzil Bowl 0.8oz Caldera Cup 0.5oz

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

The whole thing weighs 216g. Everything fits in the water bottle, except the cup and lid. I use the cup to purify water with a Steripen, it sits in the side pocket of my pack, platy snug inside. – Water bottle – DIY Ti Cone – Toaks 850ml pot – Measuring cup – 4oz Alcohol Fuel bottle – Starlyte stove – Mini Bic lighter – Toaks long handled spoon .Cook kit .packed stove

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have several depending on time of year, solo/group travel etc, but here's the one I used on my first "official" SUL trip this summer ti esbit stove 0.4 oz ti windscreen 0.7 oz mini Bic 0.4 oz SP 600 w/ ti lid 3.4 oz cup from vitamin bottle 1.1 oz rei plastic spoon 0.2 oz total 6.2 oz  photo esbitsetup2_zps83ztfzkl.jpg  photo esbitsetup1_zpswx5maz5i.jpg

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

12.75oz without fuel canister. That varies by trip length and how empty the canister is at the time. I tried alcohol and went straight back to canister for the convenience. Optimus Crux, .7L pot, campbells soup cup, and ti spoon. kitchen

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Richard, really ingenious to use a smart bottle as a container. I'm going to try that with my ti-tri set up. I've never cared for the heavy plastic containers it came in. Given how many sizes there are of Smart bottles, I should be able to customize it nicely. Thanks for the tip!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

1 .6 liter Evernew Ti cookpot w/lid. cat can stove foil windscreen 8 oz. skinny water bottle for fuel folding ti spork Total: a bit over 5 ounces (or chopsticks and a nice spoon if I'm feeling culinary.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here is the search results for other threads like this one.

Dominic Camarda
    Spectator

@hobomoto

Locale: California

I've been messing with my setup recently and have it handy. Cookset laid out Snowpeak Ti Bowl ~ 1.7 oz MYOG Silicone lid ~ 0.4 oz MYOG eCHS alcohol stove ~ 0.2 oz MYOG Bicycle Spoke Pot Stand ~ 0.4oz MYOG HD Al Foil Windscreen ~ 0.3 oz Incycle Coffee Cup ~ 0.2 oz Mini Bic ~ 0.3 oz Med Cup ~ doesn't register Mini Alochol Bottle ~ 0.2 oz Toaks Ti Shorty Spoon ~ 0.25 oz Zpacks Cuben Sak ~ 0.2 oz Weights are all pretty aproximate since my scale only goes down to 10ths of an oz. Total for the whole deal is 4.4 oz. The silicone pot lid is durable and easy to clean and also does double duty as my pot grabber. The Incycle cup allows me to have oatmeal and hot coffee at the same time for breakfast. It also acts as a vessel for whiskey mixed with spring water in the evening. Med cup measures alcohol. I can boil two cups on 15 ml with my eCHS stove. Ti shorty spoon also acts as my cat hole digger also. Mini alcohol bottle holds an ounce plus a bit extra and is good for heating dinner and the breakfast the following morning on an a single overnighter. On a longer trip, an 8 oz trader joe's water bottle is very light for a weeks worth of alcohol. Pretty happy with this setup right now.Cookset weight2

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

400ml Evernew cup, Soto OD-1R, etcpacked plastic lid snaps on to the cup and the piezo igniter is removed from the stove ( Soto OD-1R ). Stove, folding spoon and lighter fit inside the pouch which in turn hides in a corner of one of my hipbelt pockets. total weight (not including canister) = 5.2 ozs canister weight = whatever, depends on how full it is

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Here is my group setup….when its me and my family of 5 (usually cooking 3 freezer meals for dinner). jetboil So, its jetboil sol ti cup, with a jetboil zip cozy (zip cozy is thicker…the ti cozy doesn't do much…you can still burn yourself through its thin material). I have a brs-3000t stove, with the titanium ring insert that was for sale by a user here a few months ago. No companion cup. For spoons…a mix of long sea to summit ti spoons, rei lexan long spoons, and just plain fast food spoons. For a windshield I am using ruta locura sorex stakes to prop up a ridgerest that my kids use for sleeping. Pot 3.7oz lid .6 cozy 1.1 stove .85 total: 6.25oz

Anonymous
    Inactive

. . . . . . . . See it? Hard to see, it's invisible and weighs nothing. I don't usually bring cookware and all that. I use to use an alcohol stove more often, but really have cut down on using it. I have two, a dented whitebox and a Gold Gear one. I've never had a canister stove up until a couple of days ago. I recently bought a Kovea Spider. This coming weekend, i'm doing a group trip with inexperienced backpackers, who are going to want hot meals, and i figure the K.S. would be great for that and for future longer trips in snow, for melting snow. Polar vortexes are nicer with hot tea and hot meals. I'll post some pics of this future trip kitchen set up after.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Cook kit Toaks 650ml mug Cozy w/ small piece of foil for top Toaks long spoon Snow Peak Litemax stove Bic lighter Snow Peak Hot Lips Small piece of pack towel (for rattle reduction) Cook kit scale 195 grams or 6.9oz *canister not included but nests inside mug

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

All depends on the outdoor trip. Here's our setup for Thanksgiving in the desert for example… Capiotol Reef at a dispersed (and free!) campsite in the park. .We'll probably do something similar in Chaco Canyon, NM this year… :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh you wrascally wabble wouser you. (I whole heartedly approve)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools