Topic

Eric203 PM about Epic Windshirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Eric203 PM about Epic Windshirts

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am on an adventure trip until 12/1/15 and only occasionally have Web access via my iPhone 6+. If Eric203 sends another PM to me,with his actual email address, I will send the information he requested after I get home. Eric203 sent me a PM and when I try to reply, the BPL site says I am not logged in and so I can't reply. When I log in and say to remember me, the BPL requires me to log in again the next time I visit the site. Does any one know of a solution to this problem?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Richard, I have had exactly the same problem since around the time the ads went up. Later, because the ads generated other problems, I used Google to find sites showing me how to prevent the Google ads, but only on one of the three browsers I have. But the other two browsers, dialed to BPL with the ads, don't allow me to reply to PMs either. Ryan asked me for some print screens over a year ago, but did not hear back, and assume the problem was not solvable. It makes for some great conspiracy theories though. So when doing an OP, or a long detailed post, I often advise folks that they can PM me, but must provide an email address if they want a reply. Or I'll go back to their post on a thread about the subject, post a short reply, and hope they see it. On the browser without the ads, I also cannot re-subscribe annually due to the situation you describe. But on the other browsers I can. So there are different factors at work. Sorry I don't have a solution, but you are not alone, and I'm not at all sure if the ads, or lack of them, has anything to do with the PM reply problem. As our editor says, Cheers!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Are you clearing your history or cache between log ins? Should really have posted this in Forum Admin and Support. Any chance we will see you in January at Henry Coe Richard?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Good chance I will be there. I posted here so that Eric203, who reads this forum, might get back to me. I didn't clear my browser cache.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But your history? Apple has made clearing that now clears all your log in info too Enjoy your trip.

eric de haan
    BPL Member

@eric203

Thank you very much Richard, I hope you enjoy jour trip. I send you another PM, but I can wait til you return from your trip…thanks again.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Login information is held in Cookies. Verify Cookies are "allowed". (The setting language is version dependent.)

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

is there an epic wind shirt question/answer that might be helpful to the general audience?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Happens to me at times. Just click send again and it should work.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

"is there an epic wind shirt question/answer that might be helpful to the general audience?" inquiring minds want to know :)

eric de haan
    BPL Member

@eric203

Hello, I read in an old thread that Richard Nisley tested the air porisity of several pcu level 4 windshirts. I asked him if he could give me the results of those tests and also maybe the HH. I'm mostly intérested in the specs of the orc windshirt for comparaison with the multicam wildthings windshirt. Éric.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'd definitely be interested in seeing those results- as I have both a military issued Houdini and more recently an Orc

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I also would like to see these results. I did find out that the WT 1.0 does weigh about 12oz for the XXL which is about the same as the ORC so not a real weight difference between the two. But compared to half the weight of my Westcomb Crest Hoody I think the permanent water repellency might be the only real factor where EPIC wins out.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

most definitely what I was interested in, a possible "poor man's" paramo setup

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

That is what I have been looking at also. The hard part is finding an appropriate hooded 'inner' later.

eric de haan
    BPL Member

@eric203

I think à combo with a pertex equilibrium jacket +epic windshirt would work like the páramo nikwax analogy, but without the need for frequent waterproofing.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I like that idea and have been going that way. You can get an Epic jacket in the $50-75 range but most of the hooded Pertex Equilibrium jackets are still around $90+ so it doesn't fit the poor man model too much but I could see it working for around 19oz and $175 for an XXL combo which isn't to bad. Are there cheap hooded Pertex Equilibrium jackets out there?

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

that's what i wear. old school (pre VC buyout) wt epic hooded wind shirt layered over a polartec power stretch hoody (cloudveil run don’t walk) and typically a nike dri-fit shirt. i'm sufficiently confident in how well it works that i seldom bring a hard shell. system provides the ability to adjust to weather conditions and exertion very easily. really amazed at how comfortable the interior microclimate that develops.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Eric, I have a weather related break today and a couple of bars on my cell phone. Your request has been outstanding the longest and so I will answer this question now. The ORC PCU Level 4 generation 1 tested: size XL = 11.5 oz; thickness = .154mm or 76 denier; 3.6 CFM; and 492.1 mm HH. It conformed to Gen I specs and is a great bushwhacking version of a Paramo with a grid fleece under it. Natick labs field tested bushwhacking in wet weather on Kodiak Island. The Multicam WT 1.0, I tested is a PCU generation II Level 4; XL = 8.7 oz; thickness = .142mm or 70 denier; 29.8 CFM; and 421.8 mm HH. It conformed to Gen II specs. I have not tested any other life-time DWR (Epic) wind shirt with comparable balance. I tested a Generation III Level 4 windshirt from Propper (XL = 16.5 oz; .290mm or 140 denier; 48.3 CFM; 70mm HH; and no hood). It may have been a counterfeit but, buyer beware unless future Generation III samples tested by others are different from my results. Every Level 4 windshirt manufacture and material pattern tested uniquely. Unless a specific manufacture, generation, and pattern is specified in a review, it is of little or no value.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

@Eric203, I have thought about using a Pretex Equilibrium along with an Epic jacket also but I think you will probably get cold the closer it gets to freezing unless you are under exertion. I know my Westcomb Crest Hoody does not provide much insulation and I can't see an Epic jacket doing much more.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

No shell is going to provide insulation. A shell is a wind resistant or windproof barrier that will slow convection heat losses from cold wind passing over your body. Insulation slows the internal air currents that pick up heat from your body and then lose that heat when it contacts the cold shell (and then circulating that cold air back you). The more distance and stuff you put in the way slows the air currents and the transfer of heat away from your skin. More layers make more "interference." The good ones will move the moisture away (wicking), leaving a warm dry layer of air next to your skin. The trick is to keep you warm but still allow moisture to transfer out away from your skin and not saturate the insulation. Water is efficient at transferring heat, making it a lousy insulator. It also causes the insulation to lose loft, compounding the problem. If it is raining, you have moisture issues on both sides of your layering system and more general humidity. Good luck! Your Westcomb breathes well, so it will lose more heat to the outside, but it will also allow more moisture to pass. eVent will block more wind, but no pass as much moisture. Both are just thin shells and the warm air off you skin will cool quickly when it hits the shell with cold air on the other side. You need to put something between the shell and your skin: base layer plus fleece, down, Primaloft, etc. The kind of insulation you use has compromises, like down needing a tightly woven shell to keep the feathers in that also doesn't breathe well and traps the moisture. Etc…..

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I guess I'm a little confused with the discussion of Pertex combined with Epic?- my idea of a "paramo" type setup for the most part eliminates the need for a hardshell and instead relies on the HH of the Epic as an outershell in combination with the wicking action of a mid and/or base layer I realize that with long, sustained rain that a hardshell may be a necessity, but in my mind replacing the Epic layer

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I realize that with long, sustained rain that a hardshell may be a necessity" Scotland is pretty well known for the above (plus lots of wind), and there are plenty of folks whom use Paramo there. Plus, we have the added benefit of knowing more specifically what HH and CFM levels are more ideal, and with the use of an EPIC outer (and a PP inner), much less fuss or worries about DWR.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

What I don't like is that I can't find an Epic jacket in full zip. I really want those venting options if it weighs about 12 oz.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I can see DWR not being an issue with an outer Epic garment. What are the HH and CFM of Equilibrium? the breathability of the "system" is going to be dictated by the lowest dominator

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools