Topic

Eric203 PM about Epic Windshirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Eric203 PM about Epic Windshirts

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    eric de haan
    BPL Member

@eric203

Thank you Richard for the specs.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

My Crest Hoody has a CFM of about 18 and HH of about 500-800 according to Westcomb.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Awhile back Richard tested a Rab Alpine jacket of Serge's (made of Equilibrium), which had been used 20-25 nights, and the CFM tested at 111, with a HH of 70. There was the suggestion that perhaps the PU coating applied by Rab had degraded, raising the CFM and lowering the HH of the fabric. The other thing about Equilibrium is that it is a stretch weave, and gets stretched when placed in a testing apparatus, which requires a taught surface. This may further explain the unexpectedly high CFM as it was recorded. The consensus is that Equilibrium is more breathable than something like a Squamish, closer to an Alpine Start (which tests around 70 CFM), and less breathable than a Boreas. Others have commented that it is better for higher MET activities like running or skinning or fastpacking, but may have too much breathability for general backpacking use at a slower pace, and the rain protection is on the lower end. If I had to choose one set-up for unexpected conditions and trips of longer duration, it might be a hybrid, with lots of venting options and good shoulder and high chest protection – something like equilibrium or EPIC in more protected areas, and maybe the new silpoly from RBTR for the shoulders, high chest, and lower arms, which can be pushed up if needed, and are often the first to wet out, because they pick up the most dirt and oil. Then perhaps a hybrid lining as well – a mix of cap 4 and lightweight cap would be interesting.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Richard, I wonder what other Level 4 Gen II windshirts you've tested? In searching for a cheaper, better fitting alternative to the WT multicam, I've come across a Patagonia branded Level 4 Gen II windshirt with a simple design much like the Houdini – elastic hood and cuffs, one interior chest pocket. If you haven't tested this model, perhaps you'd consider it?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Edward, I am in the field for a month and bushwhacking most of the time. Today I am wearing a Level 4 made by Beyond Clothing because it is cold and very rainy. I lab tested it at 773.4mm HH and .58CFM. It's at the opposite HH extreme of the Patagonia Level 4 which I also lab tested, field tested, and previously posted the lab results to the forum. It lab tested 70mm HH and 35.4 CFM. Each individual will have a different set of objectives and so what is best for them may be different than me. With that caveat, I use the Level 4 Patagonia primarily for trail wear. I use the Level 4 WT 1.0 when a trip will involve a wide range of conditions. I use the Level 4 Beyond Clothing as a Paramo surrogate when a trip is primarily bushwhacking in the rain. The DWR on a Paramo or conventional WPB would be gone after a day versus no limit for the surrogate. Based on the effective temperature, under it I wear a Cap 4 or R1; plus an R2 vest for very cold conditions.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I did notice that eBay has some WT 1.0s XXLs for $45 shipped and some other sizes under $50.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I picked up an Orc for $49 shipped, not too shabby :)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

The Wild Things WT 1.0 in XXL weighs 12.  I have been told a Beyond Fleece M4 weighs 10.4 in XXL and a M weighs about 7.  The WT 1.0 is pretty okay but a bit small for an XXL, especially a military XXL.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

The Beyond M4 actually weighs 12.9oz in XXL but also is much bigger around everywhere, longer, has a full zipper, better cuffs, etc.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Wait, I just realized something.  The Beyond Level 4 only has a CFM of .58?  That seems REALLY low.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools