Topic

GGG #8 January 22-24 2016 Invitation. Do not delay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GGG #8 January 22-24 2016 Invitation. Do not delay

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

RSVP soon as spots are filling up. Thanks to the four dozen so far. Will be filled before Christmas certainly. Maybe by Thanksgiving. See associated thread here Please don't post here. I'll update the first post in the link given. Thank You Everyone. What: GGG#8 Who: All BPL Keep in mind that there is an official limit of 70 total for the combined group sites for both nights. The park staff has been accommodating in the past but we do not want to wear out our welcome. We can add on another site if needed. But you need to let me know you are coming so I can assure room for all those who want to come. When: January 22-24th 2016 Where: Henry W. Coe State Park 9100 East Dunne Ave. Morgan Hill, CA 95037 Group sites G04 & G05 Why: It's become a habit at this point. A great way to meet those who who only know online. $$? You'll need to pay for your parking at the Visitor Center/Park HQ. $8 per day If you are planning to camp RSVPs are most appreciated. Thanks to those who have spoken up so far. About 40 on 11/1 You can reach me at kenthompson2 (@) mac dot com And you can get a hold of David at goldgearlite at gmail dot com Contest and prizes: Bear bagging contest Burn Off stoves contest etc… Would someone be willing to do an in camp tenkara demo? How about showing off your MYOG skills? This is a great opportunity to show off your bikepacking setup as you can pedal to camp. Parking lot gear swap Sunday !! If you have a large flat tarp that you would consider us using in case it rains please PM Ken and make arrangements to bring it.!! !!!!!!WATER!!!!!!!!! Two large water tanks near camp are maintained with potable water. I will make sure to check with park on their status a week before we go. Hopefully nobody needs to schlep in a bunch of water. Edited by kthompson on 11/06/2015 23:13:23 MST.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

10 weeks away. Have you signed up yet? I bumped this thread just in case anyone hasn't seen the other thread I linked above.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bumping this as I cannot edit the above posts and the link given above no longer works.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Cyber Monday bump. Looks like no vendors so far, just us. This could change and I will let you all know if it does. This does free up some space and there is still room for more of you. Thanks to those who have RSVP and volunteered so far. 53 days away. Have a wonderful Holiday Season everyone. I’ll post another update here after the holidays. As always do not hesitate to ask if you have any ideas or questions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bumpadoo

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Not being able to edit your own posts after such a short while is not helpful. Sorry about the need for another post.

Here is a link to the thread i will keep updated as I won’t try to edit both for obvious reasons

GGG latest info here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

RSVP soon as spots are filling up. Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far.

What: GGG 8

Who: All BPL. Keep in mind that there is a cap on the amount of folks that can come. Park staff has been very accommodating in the past, but we do not want to wear out our welcome. You need to let me know if you are intending to come so I can assure we have room for everyone.

When: January 22-24th 2016

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park 9100 East Dunne Ave. Morgan Hill, CA 95037 Group sites G04&G05

Why: It’s a habit at this point. A great way to meet those who you only know online.

$$?: You’ll have to pay for parking at the park $8 daily $5 bucks per head to me, pay me in camp.

You can reach me at kenthompson2 (at) mac dot com David can be reached at goldgearlite (at) gmail dot com

Contest and prizes Bear bagging contest, Burn Off stoves contest, El Nino year pack weight contest, etc…

Looking for volunteers to show off their Tenkara skills and whatever talents you have, MYOG and what not. A great opportunity to show off your bikepacking setup as you can pedal to camp. Parking lot Gear Swap on Sunday

Being an El Nino year anyone with a large tarp that they would be willing to share please bring it.

!!!!!!!Water!!!!!!! Two large tanks near camp are maintained with potable water now.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve got a 12×12 cuben tarp you can borrow, just make sure I get it back unscathed!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

The rain has been real in my area this year.   It could be very soggy.    Perhaps a contest for most people heated with a packable stove contest too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Just and update….I am solo, so any other spots you have held for me please open it for others.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

If anybody in the Bay Area wants/needs a ride, I’ll have 2 spots available in my car. I will be headed out from San Ramon around 11:30AM on 1/22, then making a stop Livermore around 12:00PM, then heading to Coe. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Water tanks at the park are nearly full and operational.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Anyone attending from southern Oregon, northern CA? I’m thinking of driving down from Arlington, WA, but am looking for a place to crash for a night, each way, as I don’t want to do the 900 miles all in one shot. Would be happy to give you a ride, of course.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Directions and info here   Weather here

Advice: Pay for your parking and drop off your carpool buddies and gear at the car camping campground. Then park in the overflow lot that you passed on your way to the park HQ. Then walk the trail back to the HQ and meet up with your stuff and friends and hike to camp. Follow the black and white signs to the group camp. I’ll make it simple as I can to find us.

What: GGG 8

Who: All BPL. You need to let me know if you are intending to come so I can assure we have room for everyone.

When: January 22-24th 2016 Rain or shine, or snow it’s a go.

Where: Henry W. Coe State Park 9100 East Dunne Ave. Morgan Hill, CA 95037 Group sites G04&G05

Why: It’s a habit at this point. A great way to meet those who you only know online.

$$?: You’ll have to pay for parking at the park $8 daily $5 bucks per head to me, pay me in camp.

You can reach me at kenthompson2 (at) mac dot com David can be reached at goldgearlite (at) gmail dot com

Contest and prizes Bear bagging contest, Burn Off stoves contest, El Nino year pack weight contest, etc…

Parking lot Gear Swap on Sunday

Being an El Nino year anyone with a large tarp that they would be willing to share please bring it.

Two large tanks near camp are maintained with potable water now.

Marc will be bringing firewood for us all. We need a bit of a dry spell to be able to drive it into camp. Fingers crossed.

Have a few spots left. Ask your questions before Thurs. I’ll be leaving the house and will not respond once I am on the road.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some of us like maps.

GGG campsites #4 and #5 circled, with water tanks and nearby RAWS weather station (which Ken linked to above) marked.

From the overflow parking lot it’s about a 3.0 mile hike via parking lot trail, Corral Trail, Springs Trail, and Manzanita Point Road (recommended), or 2.8 mile hike/bike using only roads.

The weather station is about 0.75 miles away as the crow flies, at the same elevation as camp on a parallel ridge.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Rex for the map.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ken, Tony, Doug (and others I’ve met on these great GGGs):

I sent you an email, but I thought I’d post here too. I’m not going to be able to make it; I’ve had “magical thinking” for a while that I’d be able to get down there but it’s not to be this year. Have a great time and post photos/TR when you return.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I’m in the same boat Steven, can’t quite get there this year. We’ll have to get a trip together soon!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well I hope to do a trip with you both again soon.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Arriving after hours and parking

There is an iron ranger across from the park HQ building. Drive up, pay and then drive back down to the overflow lot. The gate might look like it is locked but in fact is not. Let yourself in, close the gate and take the trail back to the HQ and follow the Manzanita Point Rd. to camp. I’ll have some signage up (black and white squares) to help you along.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Ken and others, we’ll be thinking of you. Have fun. If you have time, stop by on the way home.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Anyone heading out of the east bay/SF Friday or Saturday with room for one more ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools