Topic

Notes from the Field: Rambling the High Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Notes from the Field: Rambling the High Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Great trip, wonderful photos. I've been to those places and somehow my own photos don't do my memories justice. :) If you don't my my asking, what's your setup for tenkara up there? I've brought my tenkara setup in addition to my spinner on my last couple trips up there, and only seem to have success with tenkara at streams and outlets. I can't seem to cast far enough on most lake shores. Maybe I need a heavier braided line? Anyhow, thanks very much for sharing.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I loved this article. It makes me look forward to when my kids (now 6 and 9) will be with me on subalpine trips like this. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm curious- what's that chair? Thanks Ryan!

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Great trip report. Miss seeing more of these up here. Great photos too.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

I guess it's a Helinox Ground Chair, no?

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

Just looked up the iSavi. Way pricey! $1350 for device, $50 to register, and minimum $25/month. Roughly $3.50/MB for data. Wow! The inReach SE is looking pretty minimalist in comparison, both in cost and capability. Sat coverage is divided into four zones, with little coverage in high lats and western Alaska. The iSavi descriptions I found in a brief search did not bother with specs at all. Weight is "light". Want a spare battery? ~$350.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I enjoyed the trip report and photos…thanks.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

> climbing gear (a 25m x 5.5mm Dyneema core rope, harness, and a few carabiners – used for the occasional belay, rappel, or pack lower) I'm very curious to know how well this kit worked out and maybe hear some examples of how you used it. I've thought about bringing a stripped-down rack of climbing gear on scrambling-intensive backpacking trips, but have always concluded that anything light enough wouldn't provide enough usefulness. Did you build anchors? How did you rappel and belay—I'm guessing a Munter, but did you miss having an ATC? Did your son also bring a harness? What would you change if you were to do it again? Thanks in advance!

Robert Diehl
    Spectator

@robert-diehl

I began to feel a little inadequate enjoying your beautiful post. Professional-grade photography, haute cuisine in the backcountry, oh and by the way the son is composing music over there by the tent! You guys know how to do it up right. Thank you for taking the time to compile your Notes, and good luck raising that beautiful Lab puppy!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@mebbott: I wouldn't change a thing. Pack lowers and raises are the most common use and anchors aren't needed there. Likewise with the occasional below, we'll use part of the rope for securing around a horn, or make do with a hip belay and a good stance. Yes, Munter hitch. No problem on the 5.5 Dyneema with some practice and attentive technique. Raps are the most challenging to deal with so we downclimb when we can (belayed if we have to, except the last person of course). I hate leaving slings in the backcountry so I try to avoid raps at all costs. If it absolutely has to be done, I'm usually the last one down and just downclimb the route that was rapped by others (using part of the rope as the anchor). If they have to rap the route then it was probably hard enough that I will have to lower my pack before downclimbing. Usually these are mid-5th class or lower drops. Higher grades than that and I prefer to rap and I do carry some extra cordage length (also 5.5 Dyneema) to create slings if needed, but I haven't used one in about two years. It's an absolute last resort for me – I just don't like to leave junk behind. Best case scenario is that I can rap off a tree and pull the rope down.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools