Topic

Mitten clip alternatives

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mitten clip alternatives

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Don, I too am in a Hexamid. This is what my clips look like – MittenClip2 The loop slides in. The loop slides out. The toggle and the tension do the rest. For the "figure 8" clip – the one on right of your image – I take an emory board to the "spring side" to open it up a bit. Same result. Lighter and less bulky.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

It can be done with the other type fast and easy without any modification.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Actually I find the clips pretty easy on grosgrain and thin cord. I don't like them on the D rings. I'll try again though, Franco.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Franco, loved the video. Is this thing gonna go three pages?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The other day : Me : crappy weather. my wife : what ? it's great !!! Me : yes ,I've got nothing to moan about now. I have to say that I like Matthew's avatar. Someone that can eat SPAM can't be bad. SPAM

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

All this flattery will get you nowhere, Franco.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

They work great on cord. I use me on all kinds of things, to secure draw cords, clip key rings together, put em on my whistles, knives, bic lighters etc. Just don't use the d or tri rings. (I have a big handful of the tri-rings I would give away.They suck)

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

I'd like to see Franco show how to use a mitten hook with cord/grosgrain. (This is what I have to connect a groundsheet to a shelter but haven't done so yet.) I learned something from the video with mitten hook and D ring!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

"All this flattery will get you nowhere, Franco" I was hoping someone from Ikea would be watching this thread. Anyway , given that others have gone silent , I will make Laurie happy. Mitten Hooks and bits of string another 10 seconds of your life you will never get back. (I am practicing using a new video camera with a different codec from the previous one…)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You are making a good case for technique rather than strength.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sorry about that. I wonder if Billy is still upset with me.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

Thanks, Franco!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Dang I was going to say no to your offer Franco but you posted the video too quick. A mitten hook to cord connection is not an issue–the hexamid beak clips up on a guy line so I've had a little experience. Let's have a cord in/cord out race. I'm pretty good at it, even not sitting at my desk.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Don, Even I get bored with my videos. (there is nothing new for me there) I had a nap after the last one so no more for this month. (I have to upload my clips using one programme ,then transfer them to another for "editing" . Today I finally discovered where those clips end up without having to have a full search inside all my files)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Clearly there are some folks who like to make the simplest things seem like an insurmountable hurdle. As Franco has demonstrated repeatedly, whether clipping OR unclipping the dead simple idea is that the material being clipped/unclipped (d-ring, grosgrain, cord) is used to press down the TOP of the gate of the mitten hook, carabiner, whatever. Sheesh, I can't believe this "duh moment" is into the second page, LOL!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So we have been shown three other pieces of hardware that could be used in lieu of mitten clips. We've been schooled on how to use mitten clips. Any other options out there for say, people who are anti mitten clip and everything they stand for?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Any other options ninja grappling hook

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

"So we have been shown three other pieces of hardware that could be used in lieu of mitten clips. " Any other options out there for say, people who are anti mitten clip and everything they stand for? bow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoelace_knot

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

May as well take this 180 degrees from David's reasonable, weightless and free suggestion… Dutch Ware makes the most ridiculously tiny, nearly weightless, innovative and awesome TI doo-dads for tightening/lashing/adjusting guylines that I have ever seen. Kinda expensive, but DAYUM that's some cool jewelry.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Franco is right. Mitten hooks are pretty easy with his technique. I don’t mind kitten hooks as much as I used to.

That said, those little Chinese micro-carabiners are pretty nice in the right application and they are much easier to obtain now that Dutch carries carries theme here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do gloves feel left out? Will they throw down the gauntlet? Or treat this issue with kid gloves? Let’s see a show of hands.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

I’m reluctant to admit that the thought of a better way to connect object A to object B sometimes keeps me awake at night, along with other seemingly inane gear related thoughts. So as contrived and ridiculous as it may seem, I’d like to find an easy, quick and light way to disconnect an inner net tent from a tarp one-handed while looking the other way. This is not an attempt at humor (although I enjoy the occasional thread humor), but rather an attempt to make it just a little easier to remove the inner net from a Tarptent Notch in the rain.

It’s a looooong reach to disconnect the head and foot end of the Notch inner net and it’s easier with just one arm, keeping half the shoulder out of the way. It’s also easier on the back with one arm, using the other arm to provide support on the ground. And when there’s condensation on the tarp, it’s preferable to keep one’s head down to reduce the cold smear of moisture down the back of the neck, effectively looking the other way.

Henry at Tarptent has confirmed that the same tiny side release buckles used on the Notch doors can also be ordered separately from Tarptent, although I question their durability. Other than that, here’s the lightest and smallest option that I could find online: http://www.survival-pax.com/3-8-Straight-Side-Release-Plastic-Buckle.html

Any other suggestions, besides seeking therapy?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

No need for therapy (just yet, anyway…)

I think for the easiest possible one-handed release, I’d go for a center release plastic buckle in a small (half-inch-ish) size.  Either of these should work like a treat:

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW, for those that can’t be bothered clicking on a link, here are the two videos on how to use those mitten hooks…

YouTube video

YouTube video

in case you are wandering, the gloves are oversized so that I can have liner gloves under them…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools