Topic

Backcountry Boiler (Boilerwerks) Nothing!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backcountry Boiler (Boilerwerks) Nothing!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Has anyone made a purchase from Boilerwerks and had problem receiving the product? I was doing a warranty through Boilerwerks for leaky kickstarter boiler for a scratch and dent replacement. I sent the shipping payment for the replacement on March 13, about three week later after not received my boiler I contacted Devin. He said he had been really busy and would ship it out by the end of the week. That was the last contact I have had with him. Since then I have sent 10 plus emails to both of his email addresses with absolutely no response. Has anyone else had problems like this with them? Its like they dropped off the face of the planet. I'm not trying to flame them, I'm just trying to figure out whats going on.

Brian Horst
    BPL Member

@bh23

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I placed an order April 17th and heard nothing in response to emails both to Devin at his boilerwerks email or to Sparkmade. Fortunately my credit card was never charged, so I'm not out anything. I was looking forward to getting a Backcountry Boiler though. I hope whatever is going on gets sorted out so I can get a second chance at getting one.

braden forrey
    Spectator

@bforrey

Locale: Hudson Valley NY

I'm in the same boat placed an order fora boiler back in March and have heard nothing despite several calls and emails. Disappointing

Brian Horst
    BPL Member

@bh23

Just received a shipping notice this morning and my credit card has been charged for my order placed 4/17. USPS doesn't show anything with the tracking number yet, but I often find USPS tracking to be notoriously slow to update. Fingers crossed this is Devin getting things back in gear!

braden forrey
    Spectator

@bforrey

I also received a shipping notification on August 20 but to this date nothing has shipped. USPS says the shipping info is just s preliminary shipment meaning noting has shipped. As usual Devin is no where to be found. Terrible business man.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Good luck. :( I went thru just the same scenario about 1.5 years ago with Devin and after getting jerked around quite a bit, and a bunch of testy emails back n forth, I finally got the product several months after ordering. No idea what's up with the guy, but he really should just close up shop. It's weird because the product quality (on the outside chance you EVER actually get the product) appears to be very good.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

same thing has happened to me…..not good:( and not just with his backcountry boiler( I do have one) but another product which I am still trying to get my money back on….2 years later!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem
    David Ure

@familyguy

I have a brand new, never used one available if anyone is interested.

Bruce Redick

@redick1955

I went thru this a number of times with Devon making promises and never getting a boiler. I finally gave up and bought a Mkettle. It's a little heavier but the quality is better. I just went to his website and Sparkmade which handles his ordering times out. He may be out of business

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I own both the Backcountry Boiler and the Mkettle, and love both. Mkettle is much better quality, but the boiler is lighter with a better designed stopper. Had a bad experience with Devin, also. Still, it's a shame if he's out of business as the idea is excellent. It was just his ethics and business practices that were terrible. There is another alternative: STORM KETTLE F1 TI HARD ANODISED KETTLE-500ML (1 MUG)–450 grams/15.8 ounces s

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

"same thing has happened to me…..not good:( and not just with his backcountry boiler( I do have one) but another product which I am still trying to get my money back on….2 years later!" Link, …would that be his "Midnight Clock"? I almost ordered one for a Christmas present a year or so ago, but, given my experience with the Boiler, i'm glad I did not.

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow. That Storm Kettle is 100% heavier than the Backcountry Boiler.

Brian Horst
    BPL Member

@bh23

Yeah, I got the shipping notice and USPS is still in the preliminary shipping state, so nothing coming out of me getting excited about finally receiving some sort of notification. Wish I had heard some of this about Devin beforehand. Now I think it's going to be a hassle to either get product or get my money back. You'd think it would be less work on his end to just close up shop or hand it off to someone else that could actually fulfill orders.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Yeah, Dave, the Stormkettle and Mkettle are heavier, but you can actually buy them. LOL. Seriously, they are about the weight of a Jetboil. Not bad. I'd jettison something else to carry them anyday. Better quality over the B. Boiler (though I love the stopper on the BB better). The storm Kettle seems to have a nicer pour spout, too. Stormkettle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6deXvqLFkk Mkettle VS. Backcountry Boiler (Hendrik): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFLwDo7egA Note: ..my son and I did this same test seen in Hendrik's video and the Mkettle won. It was the newest SAS hard anodized model though, not the one in the video. My son successfully used it for two tours in Afghanistan with the US Marines, so that speaks volumes on it's durability. Marines can destroy anything!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I too like wood fired stoves and so I got a Trail Designs Caldera Cone Sidewinder and optional Inferno wood burning insert. It works great and is highly efficient with my 3 cup mated pot. What is it about these boilers that is better? I don't understand their advantages v.s. a Bush Buddy or a Sidewinder/Tri Ti stove.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I think that a big selling point is that the soot is contained internally. Also, there are basically two pieces. Kettles seems like a limited option to me.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I had a backcountry boiler. It was a gift so I can't speak to the customer service. It's a neat idea and was well built, but I never used it. There's certainly a grin factor when using it, but it's not very practical for my style of hiking. Also, with the summer we had this year on the west coast, I never really had a chance to use it even if I wanted to. In my opinion, getting a Caldera Cone that can burn wood, solid fuel, or alchohol is a much better option.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

All of this Boiler talk got me to fire up mine again. I think it's advantage is in the wind, it can be positioned to get some air pumping through the bottom hole and it draws through really well. Without a bellows effect through the bottom hole it tends to smoke out everything due to the limited air available inside it. I'm also not a big fan of the way it boils over, making picking it off the fire a ninja like skill. I sold my bushbuddy because it didn't do so well in the wind, in hindsight I wish I held onto it because it's a bit more versatile for camp cooking, heat, etc.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

"I think that a big selling point is that the soot is contained internally." That would be huge for me. Dealing with soot is what caused me to switch to a canister stove way back in the olden days. ;)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

" way back in the olden days. ;)" lol back when canister stover were 8oz and as big as a 110gm canister

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

My first canister stove was a "Gaz 106 Globe Trotter". http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/vintage-gear/vintage-stoves/ I still have it. :^)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

For me it's a multi-use item. I use it as my pot, water carrier and can it burn several types of fuel (solid, alcohol and wood). I have even used it with a small canister stove to see what would happen. Worked fine. I normally use an alcohol stove in it, but if that breaks or the fuel runs out I can always use wood in a pinch or an Esbit tab I keep as a fire starter. Just makes sense to me and my style. YMMV.

braden forrey
    Spectator

@bforrey

Checked the preliminary tracking number I was sent in AUGUST for order placed in March 2015 it now doesn't link to anything and looks like Devin has shut down his website. He sure didn't mind charging my credit card without sending a product. Not pleased!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

His new business seems to be ShipNik. email address: [email protected]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools