Topic

Ultralight Coffee Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Coffee Options

Viewing 17 posts - 176 through 192 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Ken

They didn’t exist when I made mine, but basically, yes. Mine is not as tall: doesn’t need to be.

Cheers

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger, can you take a couple more pics of your MYOG filter?

Don’t have a spot welder, but do have a 3D printer. I’m curious as to whether or not I can 3D print something similar in nylon that will hold up to the temp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Curtis

See below. Mind you, I suspect the MSR Mugmate would be about as good.

I made it a long time ago – pre Mugmate. Actually, I first made my spot welder so I could make this filter. I used a squat plastic jar (wife’s face cream) as the mould – the jar became the coffee container after that. It is light enough and fits inside the filter for packing and stops the filter from being squashed. A bit of cotton fabric around the lot and it is then stored inside my mug. Ah … the cotton rag is now very coffee-coloured!

If you have the mesh, I think you could make the filter without a spot welder. Just peel off a couple of long strands of the SS wire from the edge of the mesh and SEW the thing together. After I spot welded it together I glued up the joins with silastic, and I think that was very important.

The 1 mm SS wire around the rim holds the shape of the rim and makes the ‘hook’ which hangs over the edge of the cup. No optimisation, just as I hacked it together.

Nylon melts somewhere above 260 C. It would take the heat of coffee.

Cheers
    Roger

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If “Nylon melts somewhere above 260 C” then why bring an additional nylon mesh when our liner (or primary) socks are already a nylon mesh?

Multipurpose!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I have two problems with the use of nylon socks as coffee filters:
    1) Residual coffee grounds make the socks very harsh on the feet
    2) Residual foot smell in the socks makes the coffee … undrinkable.

Otherwise, yes, nylon mesh would work. I made my SS filter long ago, before I had checked on the temperature range for nylon.

Btw, GSI sells a coffee filter made of nylon fabric. See
    http://www.austinkayak.com/products/23781/GSI-Outdoors-Ultralight-Java-Drip-Coffee-Filter.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyxZHiBCCU

Cheers

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

What if you used the ankle part of the sock instead of the foot part?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Coffee with heeling powers?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Scene: ER
    Case: acute abrasion of the ankle, due to coffee grounds…

Cheers

Rob P
    BPL Member

@whereamiimlost

Locale: SoCal

I just read through 8 pages of coffee suggestions and I dont think I saw a mention of Maxim instant packets:

This is standard Korean office coffee… comes mixed with sugar and cream, but “gourmet” coffee in Korea always has sugar and cream.  I’m more of a cold brew guy (aka 3x’s the recommended Nescafé Classico shaken in with my ice cold filtered stream water), but I bring these along with my wife for a post-lunch pick me up.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

What’s ultralight coffee?  Decaf?  Black coffee (because it’s like 2 calories without cream and sugar)?  I drink a pot of coffee every day.  No kidding.  Despite the eventual ever-lasting headache and groggy feeling, coffee while hiking is a luxury item to be left at home–and I am not even an ultralighter!

With that, when I do bring coffee along I usually do the cold press method, which can be done with either ground coffee or whole beans.  Actually, I learned it as cold press using whole beans but know of some who call it ‘cold brew’ and use ground beans.

Basic method:  before you go to bed add a tablespoon of grinds to a 12oz. plastic bottle full with water, of course.  Cap it and there you go; coffee is ready in the morning.  No need for instant coffee and this method can make even Yuban taste good.  Then again, I drink coffee for the caffeine, not the taste.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Sam
    I think you are missing out on the ritual :-)
    Cheers

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Recently I stumbled across Alpine Start instant in REI and bought some.

Spendy, yes, but it truly does taste like a great cup of home-brewed coffee. It doesn’t have that burned aftertaste of Via.

After having drunk a pot or more per day for many years, in the past few months I have had to cut back drastically on coffee consumption (insert long medical story), which means 2 cups/day when I’m home or 1 cup on the trail. Thankfully the afternoon headaches from caffeine withdrawal are behind me.  :^/

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

When are they going to make instant Mountain Dew? I don’t do coffee 

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nobody cares

Not until they’ve had that first cup

Putting on the kettle now

Sam is missing out.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I think you are missing out on the ritual :-)

YES!!!  The ritual is 50% of what makes good coffee…ask any hipster.  On second thought, scratch that.  Don’t talk to hipsters  :)

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I use reusable gold filters. You can find them in Target, Macys, BB&B. etc. They come in a single cup size (which is what I use) all the way up to filter #4 size.

The best part is I bring the ground coffee of my choice in a ziploc bag. No longer do I have to settle for freeze fried stuff. It’s small, light, and I drink exactly what coffee I want.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/medelco-reusable-single-serve-coffee-filters-set-of-2/1018168952?categoryId=14304

Rodney Ackerman
    BPL Member

@uncleair

Locale: Great Lakes

After reading this thread and trying yet another instant, I hope I have learned my lesson to not drift into anymore coffee threads. No matter the brand, instant is instant. Tried a few of them. Mostly failures. Tried the Alpinestart: yep, it is instant. Never thought of myself as a coffee snob, but I guess I am. Starbucks does come close, but all in all a real brew is best.

That said, I do not think I have seen the coffee brew buddy mentioned anywhere in the coffee threads. It is cheap, somewhat light, packs down to almost nothing and gets me that fresh brew anywhere.

From now on I will just grind em, pack em, and put em in my brew buddy and enjoy fresh brewed trail java.

Now if I could only find the powdered version of heavy whipping cream to put in it. ;)

Viewing 17 posts - 176 through 192 (of 192 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools