Topic

Ultralight Coffee Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Coffee Options

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bustelo single serve packets. In Florida a box of 6 is a couple bucks. Good flavor…but not as good as Via.
    It's a good alternative if the price of Via offends you.

Bustello

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"The starbuck VIA is available in 4 flavors: Columbia, Veranda, Italian, and French Roast."

I hit my local store today to stock up on my favorite coffee. I thought I would see if they have that French Roast Via. She said, "We used to, but we haven't had it for a long time now." Apparently it wasn't such a big hit. They did have the other 3 flavors, though, but not the French. No matter, as I rather like the Italian Via.

Hmmm, Doug…that Taster's Choice run through a French press idea sounds exactly like an Idster impish way to get me to buy a jar of Taster's Choice that I'll end up throwing into the trash.

John Eyles
    BPL Member

@johneyles

Then there's this (if you want an option where one serving weighs as much as some shelters):

http://www.coldbrew.com/

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Wasn't the OP about "ultralight coffee options" :)

If I'm packing cans of beverage, pretty sure it's gonna be Ballast Point Sculpin.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I use one of those too. It is very durable. I use paper filters in it. That makes cleanup easier, but you do not have to use them.

(I do love that seal-a-meal version, what a great idea!)

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

""Oh, it is horribly expensive, but for a few days in the backcountry, nothing really beats it for portability and ease of use."

One word: NoDoze

You did not mention "for taste" after all.

Back to the OP's original question: I use both, as one cup of via isn't sufficient caffeine for me.

This past weekend I skipped my morning cup of hot coffee and mixed the Via in my water bottle. Probably got on the trail 30 minutes faster. I think I'll do it this way from now on, except perhaps on really cold mornings. Best idea from BPL in a couple years. Thanks.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I tried the Cafe Bustelo ones a few months ago. I think it may actually be the same stuff as Folger's instant coffee – tastes about the same, smells about the same, and looks the same. But that's okay, as I find Folger's tastes better than Starbucks Via.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I've tried a number of methods. Tried Turkish coffee and it is OK but lots of fiddle factor and without practice I never got it really grit free… so that's out. Just don't like gritty coffee.

Other methods:

Snow Peak Ti French Press – makes a good cup of coffee but arguably a single use item (6.3 oz)
    Aeropress – great cup of coffee. Sort of fiddly but the heaviest option (7.9 oz)
    VIA – OK coffee – what I use most of the time just for weight/bulk and convenience.

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

Sculpin

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@Robb Watts

+1 billion, and appears to be well guarded.

Lucas Vogelsang
    BPL Member

@mountainlucas

Growing up in Europe, the only coffee I really drink is espresso. I usually don't while hiking but I recently got this little gadget for travel: http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Express-1-Cup-Stovetop-Percolator/dp/B000PEQBJK/

At 10oz it's not super light but it's a pretty good espresso.

Percolator

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

In FL, Bustelo is $0.99 for a box of 6. At 1/5 the cost of Via, it's good enough that I intended to abandon Via for it.

Recently noticed Pilon on the shelf right next to Bustelo. It is $1.49 for a box of 6. Same manufacturer for both, Rowland Coffee Roasters in Miami FL. The Pilon is, IMO, *much* better than Bustelo…richer, darker, more like fresh coffee. Don't get me wrong, you know it's instant, but pretty darn good instant. And Cheap!

Pilon

I still think Via tastes better, but perhaps not better enough to justify the price difference.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Why do all the Starbucks drones on this site seem to think the only reason why people dislike Via is the price?

The flavor sucks, too,IMHO. Via may be the most sterling example of brand blindness amoungst consumers you can find.

If you want the flavor of actual coffee -Nescafe Classico is as good as any flavor of VIA and each serving costs about 1/10 as much..

Mike Megee
    BPL Member

@fx4hauler

I don't know about brand blindness I've only been in a Starbucks once and that was with my grand daughter (things we do for our grand kids). My opinion of Starbucks is it"s just a high price cup of coffee. Trust me I'm not a fan boy of nothing. BUT I do like VIA better than any other instant.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I realise coffee, like wine or any other beverage is a matter of personal taste.

I guess my problem is when you read most posts about Via by the Starbucks fairthful here, they assume Via is some sort of " benchmark" for taste when in fact,it is only a benchmark for outragiously high price.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

"I guess my problem is when you read most posts about Via by the Starbucks fairthful here, they assume Via is some sort of " benchmark" for taste"

Is it possible you are reading too much into this? I'm no SB fan, in fact I avoid it if at all possible. But when it comes to instant coffee *I* think it is the best *tasting* option. It is, as you say, quite ridiculously overpriced. But bashing those that like the taste of SB is a bit like admonishing someone for not liking the latest (often trendy) IPA.

I enjoy reading what coffee options other people like…it has spurred me try things I might not have. And as I have posted, there are other things out there that taste good and do not feed that particular corporate monster.

FYI, I think the Nescafé product you recommend tastes horrible, so as you say, it's all about personal preference.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

There is an actual, factual difference between VIA and the other instant coffees suggested in this thread:

Bustelo, Nescafé, etc. are "just" freeze-dried coffee (so, coffee beans that were ground, mixed with water, then freeze-dried.)

VIA is a mixture of super-fine ground coffee beans (roasted, but never brewed) and "standard" freeze-dried coffee (see description, above). So VIA is actually a different product from the other instant coffees.

Whether this makes it "better" or "worse" is entirely up to your taste preferences; but it IS "different".

That said, I'm one of those people who tastes "burnt" in Starbucks coffee…so I rarely go there — except backpacking, when I use VIA and the other types of instant interchangeably.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I was not talking about your posts specifically..

And not just this thread specifically. My observation is after reading about a half dozen different instant coffee threads on BPL over the last few years.

VIA to me is pretty much the "Emporers new clothes" of instant coffee.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I too find SB coffee to be bitter, sometimes "burnt" tasting, and generally just not appealing. I was very surprised to find none of these qualities in Via. It is my understanding that they worked on it for 3 years before bringing it to market. Maybe they simply gave up trying make it gross :)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

No worries, just pointing out that arguing taste is rather pointless :)

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Are the coffee "tea bags." But then you have to carry the wet soggy bag out. Folgers also makes a version of via, much less expensive and I much prefer it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I would just bury wet tea bag in cathole with my human waste. It decomposes in a short time.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Re: Folgers singles Posted 06/27/2015 17:02:59 MDT by jerry adams (retiredjerry)
    "I would just bury wet tea bag in cathole with my human waste. It decomposes in a short time."

the bag is non woven plastic so it should not be buried.

Thomas Davenport
    Spectator

@thomasdavenport

"Why do all the Starbucks drones on this site seem to think the only reason why people dislike Via is the price?

The flavor sucks, too,IMHO. Via may be the most sterling example of brand blindness amoungst consumers you can find.

If you want the flavor of actual coffee -Nescafe Classico is as good as any flavor of VIA and each serving costs about 1/10 as much.."

Never said VIA was great. I said it is the best backcountry option. I've tried plenty of other freeze dried options and, to my apparently ignorant palate, they are not as good as the Via Italian Roast — and Nescafe Classico is at least third on my liset of freeze dried (behind Mount Hagen and Trader Joe's Colombian).

Brand blindness? I suspect the opposite is in play here and that you are a knee-jerk bed-wetting big brand basher. No one out here has shouted from the rooftops as to how awesome Starbucks and Via are. Instead, I've seen measured praise for the convenience and quality, with an almost universal criticism of the pricing. Very much like those who purchase any other backcountry specialized food option.

I cannot testify that I've never set foot in a Starbucks, but I can tell you that I never buy Starbucks coffee beans, use an Aeropress at home, and have a cup of Starbucks out of convenience maybe 4-6 times a year at airports or on road trips. I understand Via and Starbucks are not great — but I find Via to be the best of the options out there (even as I wince at the price).

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso Coffee. I found this in an ethnic market. I think it's better than other instant coffees. Worth a try. Cheaper than Via, better than Folger's crystals.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 192 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools