Topic

Good ultralight, durable, compact umbrella?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good ultralight, durable, compact umbrella?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Victor Lin
    BPL Member

@babybunny

A lot of times I prefer to use an umbrella instead of a jacket. I wear eyeglasses so I like that I don't get rain on the lenses when I'm using an umbrella. Wearing a hat sometimes doesn't work depending on the direction and angle the rain is blowing. Also, with an umbrella I don't have to worry as much about getting my backpack soaked.

Unfortunately, all of the compact, telescoping umbrellas that you can normally find in the store are all cheaply made and barely make it past a year before breaking. If they get inverted due to wind, they're as good as gone due to the cheap sheet metal construction and rivets.

Maybe something with flexible, solid plastic ribs while still maintaining a short, ~8 inch length that telescopes out?

If I could somehow mount the umbrella on the shoulder strap of my backpack so as to offer hands-free operation that would be wonderful.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

http://www.euroschirm.com/trekking.php?session=Tg3X1fKdbOotl&sprache_land=usa

This is a good option to consider.

They may be the manufacture of the GoLite Chrome Dome, that is no longer available.

They have ones that are hands free with some sort of mounting kit.

Also telescoping options for you too.

Tony

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

The Raines Skinny Mini holds up pretty well and is around $10. Mine weighs 5.3 oz.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Montbell has several offerings in weight, features and price. Might browse their website for possibilities.

Ryan

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think if you go to a dedicated travel store (like Magellan or something similar) you can find a higher quality umbrella. I found one at a local travel store once. It was very light and compacted down very small. Was made with silnylon. The only trouble was it wasn't able to handle the kind of wind you get on the Southern California PCT. The Go-lite umbrella can handle the wind a lot better, but it doesn't collapse.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

The old G Lite Chrome Dome was a great one; since Go Lite is no more, Gossamer Gear is selling the same product.

Here's the link:
    http://gossamergear.com/chrome-umbrella.html

I have the old Go Lite version,a nd love it!

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Hi there Tony,

Do you happen to know of any source for the Euroschirm (aka GoLite Chrome Dome) other than direct from Germany? I accidentally ordered the wrong one from campmor–it's not the swing liteflex model but rather a heavier 11-12 oz variety.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David,

Campmor was the only site that I seemed to find them on.

Well, I found them on Amazon, but Campmor was the seller via Amazon.

There was Gossamer Gear: http://gossamergear.com/chrome-umbrella.html

But they seem to be out of stock.

http://search.ellaumbrella.com/mod_search/?catalog=yhst-130150434124801&query=euroschirm&x=0&y=0

This is all that I could find.

Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Six Moon Designs sells their version now too.

Rainshadow

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Tony,

Looks like Campmor has them, but not in silver. :( Gossamer Gear has been out of stock for a while. What to do?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+1 Ken – there was another thread going on this same topic just last week and SMD was mentioned – it seems the SMD silver lightweight umbrella is the same 8 oz umbrella sold by the German company, with an SMD logo.

FYI Campsaver is supposed to get the lightweight silver model by the end of the month.

Yak Attack
    BPL Member

@yak

Locale: IN, USA

Our youngest daughter got one of these from Santa, and she loves it. It's not a kid umbrella, it's much better built. Weighs about 9oz iirc. I've been thinking of getting one for myself.

http://www.euroschirm.com/trekking.php

Hers is the small size I think.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Hands Free Umbrella rigging Hemlocks Blog and Fall Risk’s rigging Video on the PCT.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Amazon link to the Swing Trek Lightflex: http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Umbrellas-Liteflex-Umbrella-Silver/dp/B001OPO7L8?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Seller is not Campmor. I bought this from this seller late 2015 and recall that delivery was quick.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

I just used a Montbell UL Trekking umbrella on Isle Royale and it was totally worth it. I’ll only put my jacket on for all out storms now.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Matthew – how does your Montbell UL umbrella work for you in the field? Is it true that one has to manually extent each rib one at a time to deploy it, then reverse the process to fold it up? And do you think the 10d fabric will hold up well against wear and tear over time?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools